ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical what-if now that the regular season is over...

Feb 25, 2008
Let's say Iowa didn't have inexperienced fat interior linemen that didn't hold on the touchdown pass against Michigan, and the Hawks go on to win that game, and they take advantage of their offensive success early on against Penn State, and that TD pass to Smith late in the game is actually the game-winner as opposed to our first TD in how many ever possessions, and we also take advantage of our offensive success and the turnover against Wisconsin and win at Camp Randall.....and the Hawks go 12-0.

It's a BTCG of 12-0 Iowa vs 12-0 #1 Ohio State, with Iowa probably ranked either 3rd or 4th.

The question I pose to you all in this what-if scenario, is could either team lose this game and still make the CFP?

I'm sure many will say OSU could, for sure, but will any of you make the argument that Iowa could've as well?

Again, just one more look into how close we really were to a truly great season (and yes you could negatively go the other way too regarding our record, but this is my thread, so those of you that feel compelled to be the pessimist can kiss my hairy monkey arse before you hit "post". :D)

We were close but nearly every team in the country can look back at their season and ask the "what if" question. It usually comes down to key moments, (as illustrated above), in a couple of critical games that make the difference between a good season and a exceptional one. I just remind myself that the teams we lost too were higher ranked than us but we played them close and made them work for it.

I'll play the game (and, play it nicely 'cause I ain't kissin' no hairy monkey arse). History tells us that we did, in fact, go 12-0, play a great game in the B1G Championship, narrowly lose, and thereafter get dropped like an anvil in the CFP rankings. Therefore, based on history, I would anticipate the same results.

I'll play the game (and, play it nicely 'cause I ain't kissin' no hairy monkey arse). History tells us that we did, in fact, go 12-0, play a great game in the B1G Championship, narrowly lose, and thereafter get dropped like an anvil in the CFP rankings. Therefore, based on history, I would anticipate the same results.

We only dropped to 5th in 2015. Theoretically, had UNC beat Clemson we may have been #4?

Let's say Iowa didn't have inexperienced fat interior linemen that didn't hold on the touchdown pass against Michigan, and the Hawks go on to win that game, and they take advantage of their offensive success early on against Penn State, and that TD pass to Smith late in the game is actually the game-winner as opposed to our first TD in how many ever possessions, and we also take advantage of our offensive success and the turnover against Wisconsin and win at Camp Randall.....and the Hawks go 12-0.

It's a BTCG of 12-0 Iowa vs 12-0 #1 Ohio State, with Iowa probably ranked either 3rd or 4th.

The question I pose to you all in this what-if scenario, is could either team lose this game and still make the CFP?

I'm sure many will say OSU could, for sure, but will any of you make the argument that Iowa could've as well?

Again, just one more look into how close we really were to a truly great season (and yes you could negatively go the other way too regarding our record, but this is my thread, so those of you that feel compelled to be the pessimist can kiss my hairy monkey arse before you hit "post". :D)
In your scenario, we squeak by the 3 teams fOSU dominated. Iowa wins the BIG, yes to fOSU gets in. Iowa loses there is no way in hell they make it. Too many SEC teams hanging on the periphery.

This is a year where that might be possible. Assuming no shenanigans, OSU and Clemson should win their games easily, and winner of Georgia/LSU is in. Where it gets interesting is if Georgia wins, and OU/Utah lose their games. Does LSU get in as the #4 team in that scenario? Are they in regardless if they lose on Saturday?

It's an elimination game for Georgia imo, particularly if OU and Utah both win. I don't see a 1-loss champ getting jumped by a 2-loss runner up. The primary reason it happened before with Alabama was that OSU had the bad loss to Iowa that year and there wasn't really another power 5 school for that 4th spot. I would still argue a conference champ should advance in that scenario over an Alabama, but at least that year it was defensible. OSU was not a great team that year.

The difference in schedule between 2015 and 2019 would have made it harder for Iowa to drop. 2015 didn’t have games vs 3 top 10 opponents in MI, PSU, MN. On paper, that’s a schedule that stands with the SEC. You may be right that it would still have been ignored with a loss to OSU in the championship game. But it would be harder to justify.

If we dominated teams in our wins the way OSU did and kept it close in the championship game, that would be the only way. Playing all the tough teams close and losing to OSU and no way we would get in.

The difference in schedule between 2015 and 2019 would have made it harder for Iowa to drop. 2015 didn’t have games vs 3 top 10 opponents in MI, PSU, MN. On paper, that’s a schedule that stands with the SEC. You may be right that it would still have been ignored with a loss to OSU in the championship game. But it would be harder to justify.
It's been my experience that the Selection Board can justify anything, and I mean anything!

Yes 1-loss teams not from the SEC or named Ohio State are not making the playoffs without a bunch of weird stuff happening. Minnesota would be in the same boat if they were currently 12-0 and playing OSU in the conference title game. A loss and they would not be getting in.

I guess it depends what type of game it is. If Iowa gets rolled 45-14 then most definitely no shot. If its a 4 quarter game who knows, and I guess it would depend on what happens with the other top 5-6 teams. OSU will always get the benefit of the doubt though.

Yes 1-loss teams not from the SEC or named Ohio State are not making the playoffs without a bunch of weird stuff happening. Minnesota would be in the same boat if they were currently 12-0 and playing OSU in the conference title game. A loss and they would not be getting in.
Minnesota didn't play the entirely same schedule as Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT