ADVERTISEMENT

Hyvee vs. Publix: Who wins?

OrlandNole

HR Heisman
Nov 29, 2003
Nashvegas
I've got very limited experience with Hyvee, but i think the competition may be stiffer than they realize.

At the start of the year select Hy-Vee employees reportedly relocated to Nashville as the grocery store chain moved into the early stages of its plan to open stores beyond its Midwestern-states-based region for the first time.

According to a video the Register obtained in December, employees moved in preparation for the West Des Moines-headquartered company’s third distribution center opening in Nashville. In the video, Hy-Vee CEO Randy Edeker said the company’s new distribution center will initially supply seven new stores in Indiana, Tennessee, Alabama and Kentucky, set to open in 2023.

The first store to open will be in Zionsville, Indiana, according to another video the Register obtained, dated March 17. The Indianapolis Star reports that the first location outside Indianapolis spans a roughly 150,000-square-foot store on a 26-acre site, opening in 2023.

In all six of the cities where Hy-Vee intends to move, national brands such as Wal-Mart, Target and Kroger and regional chains or local grocery stores have a presence. In five of the cities, Hy-Vee will also face new competition from Publix, a Lakeland, Florida-based chain.

According to Dunnhumby — a London-based customer data science company with offices worldwide — several other chains that Hy-Vee would face in its new markets rank above it on grocery shoppers' preferences.

In an annual shopper preference index that Dunnhumby published in January, Hy-Vee ranked 29th out of 66 retailers.

Based on survey responses from around 10,000 U.S. customers, the Dunnhumby index grouped chains on shoppers' preferences on convenience and operations of the store, price and quality of groceries, digital offerings like an app, rewards programs and speed of the shopping trip.

More:Hi-Wire Brewing expands its Nashville presence with new taproom in South Gulch

The top 15 retailers in the index — including Amazon, Walmart, Trader Joe’s, Aldi and Fareway — report a “solid competitive advantage.”

Generally, top grocers in the index have “sharper differentiation than the competition on the most customer relevant needs.” Top retailers, according to the index, are able to make compromises to stand out and quickly respond to shifting customer needs.

Publix was ranked 12th in the index, offering customers more value than Hy-Vee, according to Eric Karlson, director of strategy and insights with Dunnhumby.

“We have about 23 individual questions (in the survey), and Publix beats Hy-Vee on almost every single one of them,” Karlson said. “Publix has one of the highest emotional connections in our study, and Hy-Vee is below average. So it is clear that Publix is going to have a much stronger position.”

https://www.tennessean.com/story/mo...als-expansion-nashville-locations/7172900001/

As they’ve gotten bigger and bigger, HyVee has lost quite a bit of the charm and service it used to have. That said, they still have the best selection of any grocery store but now you’re paying an arm and a leg.

I believe Edeker mentioned once not going to Texas because HEB is a worthy competitor. He mentioned picking new markets with weaker competitors
Lol a worthy competitor….at the rate HyVee is going they will be behind Cousin Jerry’s discount food and fuel pretty soon…

Lol a worthy competitor….at the rate HyVee is going they will be behind Cousin Jerry’s discount food and fuel pretty soon…

"They’re [H-E-B] a phenomenal competitor," Edeker said. "There are lots of weak competitors out there that we just don’t need to go poke that bear, so we won’t."

This quote was saying why they wouldn’t enter Texas. I bet the competitors in new markets appreciated nice comments about being weak

Reactions: goldmom
I'm a Publix fan but I've seen their service decline. This is from a long-time friend's daughter... she posted on FB and I definitely don't see this happening at my Publix:

Three things about our Hy-Vee at 135th street...
1. A couple of months ago, I was having a day filled with unfortunate events. Then my van died when I was trying to go pick up my online grocery order. I called Hy-Vee to explain why we would be late picking up and that I wasn't sure how long it would be before someone was able to jump me. Their response "it sounds like you are having a rough day. Why don't you let us deliver the groceries to you, in less than an hour? Would that help you out?"
2. We work SO hard with our kids on their behavior. Sometimes that is effective, sometimes, it's not. But we persevere. A few weeks ago, a manager in Hy-Vee stopped me while we were shopping in-person and told me he had seen how my kids helped and behaved and was so impressed he wanted to reward them with a free pack of cookies from the bakery. It was so wonderful because they had NOT been having an exceptional day, but we had talked about turning the day around and correcting attitudes right before we walked into the store. So that just really boosted them (and me) up!
3. Yesterday, I put a small dog toy in my online order. I was contacted because that one was out of stock. They asked what I would like to substitute. I said "we just got a foster dog who's small green toy was destroyed by a neighbor dog so I'm trying to replace with something similar because I feel so bad for him!" They found a perfect replacement and put it in a bag with treats and wrote on the bag.
They are literally the best of the best and I had to shout out to them!

Reactions: DooBii and goldmom
HyVee sucks. Used to be good. Now prices are much higher than their competitors, less service and then you see in the news how they treat their employees…awful. So I agree, Publix will wipe the floor with them.
Sounds like HyVee will attempt to beat Publix by sucking just a little bit less. I don’t see it going well though. Their leadership is stupid, from what I hear. Nice little Florida/Iowa corporate turf war though.

Hy Vee might actually be better off if it uproots and permanently relocates its HQ to Nashville.

I believe Edeker mentioned once not going to Texas because HEB is a worthy competitor. He mentioned picking new markets with weaker competitors
When we returned home to Florida after 20 years in Dallas we thought Publix was just not quite up to what Tom Thumb/Randall’s/HEB stores were. The newer Publix stores have really improved.

And since SEGrocers bought Winn Dixie their new stores are amazing. The SEG guys are out of the Carolinas and have brought a whole new culture to the old Winn Dixie.

Reactions: bdg8
Hy-Vee isn’t helping its image with its million dollar celebrity partnerships while cutting hundreds of jobs and raising prices on the daily. To me, Hy-Vee seems like it doesn’t really have a clue who they are or what they want to be. Almost like they’re just winging it… “Hey, let’s get Patrick MaHomes, cool? YES!! Let’s do it!” “Hey, let’s replace the small town cafe vibe with a snooty higher priced Market Grille vibe, cool? YES!! Let’s do it!” “Hey, let’s get Marky Mark and his health supplements and his restaurant, cool? YES!! Let’s do it!” “Hey, let’s put a beauty center in our stores that makes no f$&@ing sense, cool?” “YES, let’s do it!”

It's hard to imagine anyone competing with HEB in Texas. The new stores are incredible. They make HyVee look like a 7-11. And they are finally coming north of Waxahachie. We have a few Central Markets in the Metroplex, which are HEB's high end stores, but having a full blown HEB around will be great.

Reactions: goldmom and bdg8
Hy-Vee isn’t helping its image with its million dollar celebrity partnerships while cutting hundreds of jobs and raising prices on the daily. To me, Hy-Vee seems like it doesn’t really have a clue who they are or what they want to be. Almost like they’re just winging it… “Hey, let’s get Patrick MaHomes, cool? YES!! Let’s do it!” “Hey, let’s replace the small town cafe vibe with a snooty higher priced Market Grille vibe, cool? YES!! Let’s do it!” “Hey, let’s get Marky Mark and his health supplements and his restaurant, cool? YES!! Let’s do it!” “Hey, let’s put a beauty center in our stores that makes no f$&@ing sense, cool?” “YES, let’s do it!”
Gene Simmons wants you to scan the code

Reactions: Thunderlips71
It’s been 6 years since I left Iowa, so I can’t speak on the current state of hy vee, but my initial impression of Publix vs hy vee at that time was Publix>>>>>>>>>>hy vee. Not even close

It's hard to imagine anyone competing with HEB in Texas. The new stores are incredible. They make HyVee look like a 7-11. And they are finally coming north of Waxahachie. We have a few Central Markets in the Metroplex, which are HEB's high end stores, but having a full blown HEB around will be great.
The new Hy Vee in Grimes is really nice. It’s their new flag ship store and I really like it. Yes, their prices are higher than Fareway but you have to hit both places anyway and it seems Fareway is upping their prices closer to Hy Vee on all the items we get there so I try to hit the Fareway stores in smaller towns when I’m traveling as they tend to have lower prices.

In my travels into the SE, I like going to Pubic’s for groceries when we vaca with a house setting. Their stores are very nice too but don’t have the amenities the new Hy-Vee’s have. Prices were very high in Florida when we visited in January compared to Hy Vee pricing for the same products.

• Haha
Reactions: UKGrad93
Hy Vee is like the girl who used to be chubby, but very sweet and down to earth. Then she lost the weight, had cosmetic surgery and a makeover, and is now trying to sleep with all the rich guys in town.

It looks to me like Hy Vee has been taken over by marketing douchebag types who focus entirely on the sizzle and forgot about the steak.

I despise Publix. Their owners donate a lot of money to right wing tyrants. Fortunately, Tampa has some very good independent ethnic grocery stores and markets. They allow me to avoid ever having to spend a penny at Big Green.

Reactions: SoFla-Hawkeye
First off...Fareway >>>HyVee

However, having been to both, HyVee is better than Publix. Now, will HyVee play to the different region is the big question. It's the same question that has come up when other grocery chains have tried moving into the areas where HyVee is big.

Hy Vee is like the girl who used to be chubby, but very sweet and down to earth. Then she lost the weight, had cosmetic surgery and a makeover, and is now trying to sleep with all the rich guys in town.

It looks to me like Hy Vee has been taken over by marketing douchebag types who focus entirely on the sizzle and forgot about the steak.
Here in Minnesota our HyVee stores sell clothes, makeup, and fancy soaps. Stuff that takes up a good amount of square footage of the store yet never has anyone walking through the areas. Plus they have the Wahlburgers restaurant in the store instead of the old school cafe that HyVees used to have where you could order simple food served quick for cheap. Exactly the kind of thing you want to get when shopping at a grocery store, not a 60 minute meal with a waiter that costs $50+ for a family of four.

Plus, the health food section at my store is fairly small. Like, don’t you know the market? People are going to Target or Walmart to buy clothes if they want cheap crappy clothes. They go to a grocery store to buy food. And if they could put together a robust health food selection they could make a killing on it. So take the space for clothes and turn it into health food fully stocked. On top of that, they haven’t done a good job with distribution in Minnesota, so often times things are missing from the shelves or they are stocking shelves in the middle of the day on the weekend after the trucks finally show up, which is the worst possible time to be stocking. Rather than wasting all of the money on the marketing, fancy crap people don’t buy, and the higher end restaurant(aka the sizzle you referenced), they need to invest in what people care about. Having groceries in stock at a reasonable price with good service(the steak).

Plus, speaking of steak don’t get me started on the prices that they charge for those. Who in their right mind would buy their average steaks from them at those prices? My wife did it once and I told her never again.

I despise Publix. Their owners donate a lot of money to right wing tyrants. Fortunately, Tampa has some very good independent ethnic grocery stores and markets. They allow me to avoid ever having to spend a penny at Big Green.
FFS. You sound like some desperate lonely loser who makes silly grandiose statements because you hope it makes you look cool. Just stop.
Your links about Ukraine are great. Just go with that.

Here in Minnesota our HyVee stores sell clothes, makeup, and fancy soaps. Stuff that takes up a good amount of square footage of the store yet never has anyone walking through the areas. Plus they have the Wahlburgers restaurant in the store instead of the old school cafe that HyVees used to have where you could order simple food served quick for cheap. Exactly the kind of thing you want to get when shopping at a grocery store, not a 60 minute meal with a waiter that costs $50+ for a family of four.

Plus, the health food section at my store is fairly small. Like, don’t you know the market? People are going to Target or Walmart to buy clothes if they want cheap crappy clothes. They go to a grocery store to buy food. And if they could put together a robust health food selection they could make a killing on it. So take the space for clothes and turn it into health food fully stocked. On top of that, they haven’t done a good job with distribution in Minnesota, so often times things are missing from the shelves or they are stocking shelves in the middle of the day on the weekend after the trucks finally show up, which is the worst possible time to be stocking. Rather than wasting all of the money on the marketing, fancy crap people don’t buy, and the higher end restaurant(aka the sizzle you referenced), they need to invest in what people care about. Having groceries in stock at a reasonable price with good service(the steak).

Plus, speaking of steak don’t get me started on the prices that they charge for those. Who in their right mind would buy their average steaks from them at those prices? My wife did it once and I told her never again.
That a lot of plus.

mark-cuban-shark-tank.gif

Daughter is thinking of moving to the Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete area since she works remotely so any help on the names of these stores is grateful.

Last edited:
The new Hy Vee in Grimes is really nice. It’s their new flag ship store and I really like it. Yes, their prices are higher than Fareway but you have to hit both places anyway and it seems Fareway is upping their prices closer to Hy Vee on all the items we get there so I try to hit the Fareway stores in smaller towns when I’m traveling as they tend to have lower prices.

In my travels into the SE, I like going to Pubic’s for groceries when we vaca with a house setting. Their stores are very nice too but don’t have the amenities the new Hy-Vee’s have. Prices were very high in Florida when we visited in January compared to Hy Vee pricing for the same products.
Disagree on the Grimes HyVee. The parking sucks and the layout makes no sense. Been there twice because we’re equidistant between that one, Waukee, and Urbandale. Don’t care to go back. JMO.

Prefer Fareway and Aldi nowadays anyway.

It does seem like a lot of Hy Vees recent moves are about ego versus logical business decisions
You are seeing more of the Hy Vee and Casey’s management come from the outside - big box chain conglomerates and these people are trying to change the stores to be more like those stores and are losing the home grown feel or touch that made these brands successful. It’s a shame to see management change to these outsiders that are ruining what made them into what they are.

Reactions: bdg8
Disagree on the Grimes HyVee. The parking sucks and the layout makes no sense. Been there twice because we’re equidistant between that one, Waukee, and Urbandale. Don’t care to go back. JMO.

Prefer Fareway and Aldi nowadays anyway.
I park over by the liquor, hit that, meat counter, deli, fitness food area all on the right side of the store and I’m in and out in a few minutes. Yes, parking lot is janke but oh well, they threw the store in the space to make it work. Having Fareway across the street helps.

I'm glad he got hired, but Hy-Vee hires tons of people with mental and physical disabilities. Definitely not something you can bag on them for.
While I agree overall, the way it was handled at the HyVee in CB, is reason enough for me and my family to boycott HyVee for the foreseeable future.

First off...Fareway >>>HyVee

However, having been to both, HyVee is better than Publix. Now, will HyVee play to the different region is the big question. It's the same question that has come up when other grocery chains have tried moving into the areas where HyVee is big.
I think Publix has a big difference in quality of certain stores. I have been in some Publix stores that are beautiful. We went to one on the way to Sanibel/Captiva and it was a shit hole

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT