ADVERTISEMENT

Hyvee vs. Publix: Who wins?

It was a terrific store for a small grocery - had a lot of premium products, with prices that were far lower than the typical high-end grocer.

200w.gif

Not really lighting the world on fire with that comment. Fareway has better meat than Von Hansons in Minneapolis area too.
Was asked why I go to both Hy Vee and Fareway so that’s the response. Wasn’t trying to light the world on fire there Bud.

It does seem like a lot of Hy Vees recent moves are about ego versus logical business decisions
New management ideas. They are no longer “your mother’s HyVee”...Not saying it is good or bad...it’s their Bob Dylan moment....” the times they are a. Changin’”...and more often than not, folks don’t like change.

Was asked why I go to both Hy Vee and Fareway so that’s the response. Wasn’t trying to light the world on fire there Bud.
Right, was just saying that stating Fareway has better meat than Hy-Vee is like saying Casey’s pizza is better than QC Pizza— it’s a widely accepted conclusion.

Right, was just saying that stating Fareway has better meat than Hy-Vee is like saying Casey’s pizza is better than QC Pizza— it’s a widely accepted conclusion.
We are talking about Hy Vee and Publix, some of these Florida people have no clue about Hy Vee, let alone Fareway as another option and their meat department when compared to Hy Vee.

Here in Minnesota our HyVee stores sell clothes, makeup, and fancy soaps. Stuff that takes up a good amount of square footage of the store yet never has anyone walking through the areas. Plus they have the Wahlburgers restaurant in the store instead of the old school cafe that HyVees used to have where you could order simple food served quick for cheap. Exactly the kind of thing you want to get when shopping at a grocery store, not a 60 minute meal with a waiter that costs $50+ for a family of four.

Plus, the health food section at my store is fairly small. Like, don’t you know the market? People are going to Target or Walmart to buy clothes if they want cheap crappy clothes. They go to a grocery store to buy food. And if they could put together a robust health food selection they could make a killing on it. So take the space for clothes and turn it into health food fully stocked. On top of that, they haven’t done a good job with distribution in Minnesota, so often times things are missing from the shelves or they are stocking shelves in the middle of the day on the weekend after the trucks finally show up, which is the worst possible time to be stocking. Rather than wasting all of the money on the marketing, fancy crap people don’t buy, and the higher end restaurant(aka the sizzle you referenced), they need to invest in what people care about. Having groceries in stock at a reasonable price with good service(the steak).

Plus, speaking of steak don’t get me started on the prices that they charge for those. Who in their right mind would buy their average steaks from them at those prices? My wife did it once and I told her never again.
I have a similar opinion on what they should be doing and see the same things. I live next to a Hy-Vee so always go there and it is always packed unless it’s late at night. No one is ever in the beauty section. I thought recently, they must have some data on it doing well or why keep it? Maybe the margins are huge on that or how could it make more than putting other food product there.

The Wahlburgers stuff, don’t get me started. It seems like the CEO just wants any celebrity to interact with him.

Did Hy Vee management really project that 50 stores could add 6 billion a year in sales? 2 million a week in sales in a highly competitive market seems pretty optimistic for a brand with little brand recognition in market

Reactions: JupiterHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT