ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll say it

silasstarr

HR Legend
Aug 25, 2003
Connor needs to curb the impulse of trying to be the go to guy when the shot clock hits 8 secs. Keep moving the ball. He’s holding it and then launching a contested three which has a low probability of going in.

Edited.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtown66
Conner needs to curb the impulse of being the go to guy. He is not. I hope he realizes soon that he is at best the 5th option, not the first for God’s sake.

there are only 8 guys who get most of the minutes. Connor is starting because two guys have major injuries. He’s shooting more because we are short on depth and two other guys are playing hurt.

yet still he is LAST of those 8 in usage rate while having the second highest offensive rating on team.

your post is terrible and you are terrible.

I, personally, want Connor to figure out his shot now before Bohannon leaves. I had no problem with any of the decisions Connor made to shoot except the one where he didn't pass to Joe in the corner.

Reactions: iahawks10
I’m not going to look it up but others can but I’ll bet Connor’s % of shots taken is 4th or 5th among the starters.
Strictly in terms of shots per game, Connor’s actually sixth on the team, trailing Toussaint, and seventh if you want to include Nunge. At least going into tonight

Reactions: perryhawk
Strictly in terms of shots per game, Connor’s actually sixth on the team, trailing Toussaint, and seventh if you want to include Nunge. At least going into tonight

Curiosity got the better of me. Connor is 7h(not counting Patrick or Jack) at 12.4% with an offensive rating of 128.3. Joe T, by comparison, is 2nd at 26.2% with an offensive rating of 95.2.

As much as it pains me to agree with L.Wade, I do on this one. The team is so depleted from injuries that there are fewer options for late shot clock situations and scoring in general. Jbo is not hunting shots and is more of a facilitator, Connor's offense has come on of late and they need him to be more aggressive. Connor is a better option than Joe T or Evelyn who may not take another shot this year at this rate.

As much as it pains me to agree with L.Wade, I do on this one. The team is so depleted from injuries that there are fewer options for late shot clock situations and scoring in general. Jbo is not hunting shots and is more of a facilitator, Connor's offense has come on of late and they need him to be more aggressive. Connor is a better option than Joe T or Evelyn who may not take another shot this year at this rate.
Fair enough. I like Connor, I just don’t want him with the ball late in the shot clock. If he gets the ball with 2-3 seconds, I understand him having to jack up a shot. What I don’t care for is he’s getting the ball with 7-8 seconds and determining he’s going to jack up a three and doesn’t look for nor pass the ball. He did it three times last night. Miraculously, one of them went in. I’d prefer Fredrick, Weiskamp or Jbo take those contested threes, if that’s all that’s available.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Fair enough. I like Connor, I just don’t want him with the ball late in the shot clock. If he gets the ball with 2-3 seconds, I understand him having to jack up a shot. What I don’t care for is he’s getting the ball with 7-8 seconds and determining he’s going to jack up a three and doesn’t look for nor pass the ball. He did it three times last night. Miraculously, one of them went in. I’d prefer Fredrick, Weiskamp or Jbo take those contested threes, if that’s all that’s available.

What do you propose that Iowa does? The ball can continue to move, but when the ball is with a guy with 7 seconds left on the clock the options are limited. Maybe Kriener is open on the perimeter? I would argue throwing it to him as the clock now goes toward 5 is a bad basketball play. Something needs to happen to at least get a reasonable shot toward the basket. Conor's size at least lets him get a shot off most times. He doesn't go hunting shots, the truth is there are no great options on the Iowa team for creating their own shot late in the clock. Iowa's offense is currently 4th in the country in adjusted offensive efficiency, complaining about that side of the team is quite mysterious to me. Whatever Iowa is doing on offense, they need to keep doing it.

I have absolutely no problem with Connor shooting it in a clock winding down scenario. He's a heady player. He's watched the Hawks for a long time. I'm sure he remembers far too many times when Iowa failed to get any shot or something even vaguely resembling one. No his shot is not pretty, but it's better than a complete heave with 1 second left on the clock.

I don't remember the specific instances you are referencing, but there was a stretch in the first half where the lineup was Joe T/Cmac/Evelyn/Pemsl/Kreiner. Who else, other than Joe T, do you want taking shots in that lineup?

Also, I haven't read every thread on here, but how is no one talking about Fran's use of Touissant? It's absolutely ridiculous that he is averaging 14.8 min/game while Evelyn is over 13 min/game. Those two shouldn't even be close in minute distribution! And when Joe does finally get to play, Fran throws him out there with two centers, and two guards that can't shoot. Just mind boggling...

It's on those players, to not give the ball up with 5 seconds left on the shot clock then. Connor is shooting 31% from 3, Jobo 33% btw.

I don't remember the specific instances you are referencing, but there was a stretch in the first half where the lineup was Joe T/Cmac/Evelyn/Pemsl/Kreiner. Who else, other than Joe T, do you want taking shots in that lineup?

Also, I haven't read every thread on here, but how is no one talking about Fran's use of Touissant? It's absolutely ridiculous that he is averaging 14.8 min/game while Evelyn is over 13 min/game. Those two shouldn't even be close in minute distribution! And when Joe does finally get to play, Fran throws him out there with two centers, and two guards that can't shoot. Just mind boggling...
If Jobo is red-shirting, I'm hoping this is a tactic Fran is using to conserve Joe T to play way more minutes once that red-shirt hits.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Whether it's Joe T or Connor, they are going to get stuck with the ball in their hands late in the shot clock with no other options available. Ideally Joe T gets his flow going with more PT and can drive the ball in these situations and score, get fouled or drop it off. In lieu of that, Connor is the pressure relief valve given the attention Wieskamp will receive. A healthy Fredrick will help in these situations as well, but his quad is still limiting his PT. The trio of Pemsl, Evelyn and Kriener don't offer much in realm of shot making.

Reactions: kceasthawk

I'm hoping this is a concerted effort to incorporate the rest of the team with the decision on his redshirt already made... again, this is just a hope, but it could be a reasonable explanation. Alternatively, he's only at like 33% this year, so he just may not be healthy enough to be the sharpshooter we're all accustomed to, and he would obviously know better than anyone.

I'm hoping this is a concerted effort to incorporate the rest of the team with the decision on his redshirt already made... again, this is just a hope, but it could be a reasonable explanation. Alternatively, he's only at like 33% this year, so he just may not be healthy enough to be the sharpshooter we're all accustomed to, and he would obviously know better than anyone.

Good post. A healthy Jbo would have cranked up multiple shots last night that he passed on. The action he ran with Fredrick that resulted in a Fredrick 3 was nice. Fredrick can pick up some of the slack once healthy. I like that he cuts with a purpose and can finish with both hands.

The cutting action Fran had going last worked very well and hope to see more of it. 2-3 guys either move to Garza or divert their attention to him in anticipation of helping. Should be able to get some back side action going...especially if Garza takes a couple dribbles away for the basket to create some passing lanes. I can't fathom that Evelyn can't score off some dive cuts to the basket. How is it possible Fran's only graduate transfer has 0 offense? He is making Maishe look like Jimmer Fredette.

Reactions: Bee93 and Ronman
Just guessing but I don’t think JBo has any rhythm with his shots. No practice makes it harder to get in groove. He played well with his assists total showing he may have changed his role

jot T going to be exciting player but needs to start making those layups and FTs. That will come with time I am sure

What do you propose that Iowa does? The ball can continue to move, but when the ball is with a guy with 7 seconds left on the clock the options are limited. Maybe Kriener is open on the perimeter? I would argue throwing it to him as the clock now goes toward 5 is a bad basketball play. Something needs to happen to at least get a reasonable shot toward the basket. Conor's size at least lets him get a shot off most times. He doesn't go hunting shots, the truth is there are no great options on the Iowa team for creating their own shot late in the clock. Iowa's offense is currently 4th in the country in adjusted offensive efficiency, complaining about that side of the team is quite mysterious to me. Whatever Iowa is doing on offense, they need to keep doing it.
The offense as a whole is great. Fran is a master at getting good shots. so it baffles me when Connor holds the ball with 8 seconds on the shot clock to launch a contested three. It's ugly. He was 2-7 last night. Iowa has better players for that situation. I actually prefer Toussaint trying to drive in that scenario is a better option. He will most likely get a better percentage shot off or be able to dump it off to a big man.

Dr Tom used to set two high picks for the pg to drive around. The bigs would roll or the pg would get a layup off. It wasn't the greatest play but it was better than Connor jacking a contested three.

My point is put the ball in your best players hands or at least a player that can get a better shot off.

I want to reiterate that I really like what Connor brings to this team, outside of what I've stated in this thread.

The offense as a whole is great. Fran is a master at getting good shots. so it baffles me when Connor holds the ball with 8 seconds on the shot clock to launch a contested three. It's ugly. He was 2-7 last night. Iowa has better players for that situation. I actually prefer Toussaint trying to drive in that scenario is a better option. He will most likely get a better percentage shot off or be able to dump it off to a big man.

Dr Tom used to set two high picks for the pg to drive around. The bigs would roll or the pg would get a layup off. It wasn't the greatest play but it was better than Connor jacking a contested three.

My point is put the ball in your best players hands or at least a player that can get a better shot off.

I want to reiterate that I really like what Connor brings to this team, outside of what I've stated in this thread.
I'm not so sure. I think we may average more points off a Toussaint drive, but I think we'll also end up scrambling in transition more as he takes himself out of the play hitting the floor out of bounds on the baseline. That said, I JT's aggressive game, there are just times when it works better than others. If he's going to drive at the end of the clock, then we need to make sure to rotate extra guys back which can negate our advantage on the offensive glass.

If Jobo is red-shirting, I'm hoping this is a tactic Fran is using to conserve Joe T to play way more minutes once that red-shirt hits.

We can only hope. He was having an impact on the Michigan game, only for Fran to have him ride pine for 75% of the time. We've seen this before with Moss and others. Fran doesn't seem to be able to identify who "has it" and who doesn't each game. He has his predetermined substitution patterns, and he's sticking with them no matter what. The injury to Nunge was a blessing in disguise this year, as it forced Fran to not play two centers 40 mins a game. We all know he loves playing run and gun with his two center lineups!

Connor needs to curb the impulse of trying to be the go to guy when the shot clock hits 8 secs. Keep moving the ball. He’s holding it and then launching a contested three which has a low probability of going in.

Edited.

WTF are you talking about, he is getting the ball back to him w 6 or under on the shot clock WAY too often.

IMO Connor has been great this season, really happy w his production and play. Anyone w two eyes can see he has really become more comfortable on the court this season.

Reactions: McIlraveysMullet
WTF are you talking about, he is getting the ball back to him w 6 or under on the shot clock WAY too often.

IMO Connor has been great this season, really happy w his production and play. Anyone w two eyes can see he has really become more comfortable on the court this season.

10:28 1st Half Connor gets the ball at the top of the key with 12 secs on the shot clock and decides to shoot a contested three two feet behind the arc with 11 seconds left on the shot clock

9:45 1st half Connor gets the ball at the top of the key with 11 seconds on the shot clock and he forced a contested jumper.

8:50 1st half he got the ball with 6 secs and made a three.

3:10 2nd half he get the ball with 3 seconds and makes the 3. He had no choice here.

I still like what he brings to the table outside of the above mentioned.

10:28 1st Half Connor gets the ball at the top of the key with 12 secs on the shot clock and decides to shoot a contested three two feet behind the arc with 11 seconds left on the shot clock

9:45 1st half Connor gets the ball at the top of the key with 11 seconds on the shot clock and he forced a contested jumper.

8:50 1st half he got the ball with 6 secs and made a three.

3:10 2nd half he get the ball with 3 seconds and makes the 3. He had no choice here.

I still like what he brings to the table outside of the above mentioned.

So you want him to never shoot outside of when he is forced to via last second looks?

Also, I haven't read every thread on here, but how is no one talking about Fran's use of Touissant? It's absolutely ridiculous that he is averaging 14.8 min/game while Evelyn is over 13 min/game. Those two shouldn't even be close in minute distribution! And when Joe does finally get to play, Fran throws him out there with two centers, and two guards that can't shoot. Just mind boggling...[/QUOTE
Fran is messing up with Touissant. It's like Ferentz with Goodson. Took them 70% of the season and an injury to realize who the best back was. JT should be getting 30 minutes a game and should be playing with CJ, Garza, and JW. Instead he spends half his minutes playing with 4 guys who can't shoot while the geniuses on here knock his ratings. The guy flat out puts pressure on the other team and is a big time play maker. Ride him, Cj, and Garza to the sweet 16 this year.

Last edited:

I remember that stretch. Spent the whole time scratching my head wondering why he didn't have at least one of JBO, Weesy, or CJ on the floor.

Reactions: hoythawk
Do you have a hard time reading?

He has a better than 4-1 Assist to TO ratio and has taken the 6th most FG attempts on the team as a starter averaging nearly 28 mpg. He is averaging 5.3 shots per game.

Do you have a hard time understanding basketball statistics?

The simple fact is Connor needed to become more of an offensive threat to help keep opponents honest so they couldn't just double down low off of him. To do that he was always going to have to do a bit more offensively which means putting up a few more shots and I think he has done a really good job at that this season. He isn't going to always make perfect decisions on time/score but he has been damn good this season in his shot selections when he has had a choice of what to do with the ball.

He has a better than 4-1 Assist to TO ratio and has taken the 6th most FG attempts on the team as a starter averaging nearly 28 mpg. He is averaging 5.3 shots per game.

Do you have a hard time understanding basketball statistics?

The simple fact is Connor needed to become more of an offensive threat to help keep opponents honest so they couldn't just double down low off of him. To do that he was always going to have to do a bit more offensively which means putting up a few more shots and I think he has done a really good job at that this season. He isn't going to always make perfect decisions on time/score but he has been damn good this season in his shot selections when he has had a choice of what to do with the ball.
So, you do have a hard time with reading comprehension. Noted.

Connor has come a long way from last year, no doubt. I think if he just got a little more arc on his shot his accuracy might improve, seems a little flat as is. I prefer when he's not primary ball handler but generally like the roles he's playing for this team.

The primary point I think we can all agree upon is that Evelyn needs to be sitting next to Riley Till for 25-28 min each game.

Reactions: unIowa
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT