ADVERTISEMENT

I’m A Twenty Year Truck Driver, I Will Tell You Why America’s “Shipping Crisis” Will Not End [Medium]

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006

I'm a Class A truck driver with experience in nearly every aspect of freight. My experience in the trucking industry of 20 years tells me that nothing is going to change in the shipping industry.

Let's start with understanding some things about ports. Outside of dedicated port trucking companies, most trucking companies won't touch shipping containers. There is a reason for that.

Think of going to the port as going to WalMart on Black Friday, but imagine only ONE cashier for thousands of customers. Think about the lines. Except at a port, there are at least THREE lines to get a container in or out. The first line is the 'in' gate, where hundreds of trucks daily have to pass through 5–10 available gates. The second line is waiting to pick up your container. The third line is for waiting to get out. For each of these lines the wait time is a minimum of an hour, and I've waited up to 8 hours in the first line just to get into the port. Some ports are worse than others, but excessive wait times are not uncommon. It's a rare day when a driver gets in and out in under two hours. By 'rare day', I mean maybe a handful of times a year. Ports don't even begin to have enough workers to keep the ports fluid, and it doesn't matter where you are, coastal or inland port, union or non-union port, it's the same everywhere.
Click to shrink...

Furthermore, I'm fortunate enough to be a Teamster — a union driver — an employee paid by the hour. Most port drivers are 'independent contractors', leased onto a carrier who is paying them by the load. Whether their load takes two hours, fourteen hours, or three days to complete, they get paid the same, and they have to pay 90% of their truck operating expenses (the carrier might pay the other 10%, but usually less.) The rates paid to non-union drivers for shipping container transport are usually extremely low. In a majority of cases, these drivers don't come close to my union wages. They pay for all their own repairs and fuel, and all truck related expenses. I honestly don't understand how many of them can even afford to show up for work. There's no guarantee of ANY wage (not even minimum wage), and in many cases, these drivers make far below minimum wage. In some cases they work 70 hour weeks and still end up owing money to their carrier.
Click to shrink...

What is going to compel the shippers and carriers to invest in the needed infrastructure? The owners of these companies can theoretically not change anything and their business will still be at full capacity because of the backlog of containers. The backlog of containers doesn't hurt them. It hurts anyone paying shipping costs — that is, manufacturers selling products and consumers buying products. But it doesn't hurt the owners of the transportation business — in fact the laws of supply and demand mean that they are actually going to make more money through higher rates, without changing a thing. They don't have to improve or add infrastructure (because it's costly), and they don't have to pay their workers more (warehouse workers, crane operators, truckers).
Click to shrink...

The 'experts' want to say we can do things like open the ports 24/7, and this problem will be over in a couple weeks. They are blowing smoke, and they know it. Getting a container out of the port, as slow and aggravating as it is, is really the easy part, if you can find a truck and chassis to haul it. But every truck driver in America can't operate 24/7, even if the government suspends Hours Of Service Regulations (federal regulations determining how many hours a week we can work/drive), we still need to sleep sometime. There are also restrictions on which trucks can go into a port. They have to be approved, have RFID tags, port registered, and the drivers have to have at least a TWIC card (Transportation Worker Identification Credential from the federal Transportation Security Administration). Some ports have additional requirements. As I have already said, most trucking companies won't touch shipping containers with a 100 foot pole. What we have is a system with a limited amount of trucks and qualified drivers, many of whom are already working 14 hours a day (legally, the maximum they can), and now the supposed fix is to have them work 24 hours a day, every day, and not stop until the backlog is cleared. It's not going to happen. It is not physically possible. There is no "cavalry" coming. No trucking companies are going to pay to register their trucks to haul containers for something that is supposedly so "short term," because these same companies can get higher rate loads outside the ports. There is no extra capacity to be had, and it makes NO difference anyway, because If you can't get a container unloaded at a warehouse, having drivers work 24/7/365 solves nothing.
Click to shrink...

• Wow
Reactions: billanole and Torg
Serious question. Isn’t there money in the $1.1T infrastructure bill that’s being held up the house to address these types of problems with ports? I thought ports were part of the upgrades along with power grid, internet, roads and bridges.

Obviously they could pass it tomorrow and it won’t alleviate the problem for quite a while, but still it’s been sitting there two months. Pass it!

Reactions: srams21
I can say that since Biden announced the 24/7 port operations on Oct 13, the situation hasn't improved one bit.

I know, because I've been checking the maritime tracker on a daily basis for over a month now. There are currently over 100 cargo ships anchored or just mindlessly floating around waiting to get into the LA port.

It's an unprecedented shitshow.

Institute tariffs and use the money to temporarily eliminate fuel taxes.

ADVERTISEMENT