ADVERTISEMENT

I’m coming through your state in a few weeks

runkpanole

HR Legend
Nov 17, 2002
Staying one night in Dubuque and taking the family to Field of Dreams (wanted to do it before they really commercialize it). Give me some places to eat, drink and be merry at. Can be in Dyersville as well.

Staying one night in Dubuque and taking the family to Field of Dreams (wanted to do it before they really commercialize it). Give me some places to eat, drink and be merry at. Can be in Dyersville as well.
Are you doing the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium with the family in Dubuque? They’ll love it.

As for restaurants, everyone says L May is good. Never been. Liked Caroline’s though. And Pete’s Thai Kitchen. Do the rail car up the bluffs for the view, and then back, and there is a great little ice cream place near the bottom.

QVj3Wnd.jpg

What the foook dude, first you were in Kansas Shitty, didn’t tell, now gonna be in the state of EyeOhWuh and you aren’t coming to Des Moines? What a foookin’ dickbag.

• Haha
Reactions: runkpanole
You could try Breitbach Country Dining. Oldest bar and restaurant in Iowa although it has burned down twice since 2007.

In all honesty I've never been so I can't comment on food quality etc. so this recommendation really means nothing
VERY good suggestion. Great Iowa farm food in a beautiful rural Iowa location. A few celebrities have been through there. Used to have their autographs on the wall (George Wendt, Michael Jordan, etc) but those may have burned.

Last edited:
I think there is a weed dispensary in East Dubuque. I haven't been but let me know how it is if you go there. Might make the Field of Dreams more enjoyable for the family.

I think there is a weed dispensary in East Dubuque. I haven't been but let me know how it is if you go there. Might make the Field of Dreams more enjoyable for the family.

Field of Dreams remake in another decade or two is gonna be a baseball field built on a weed farmer's land...

Reactions: Moral
Field of Dreams remake in another decade or two is gonna be a baseball field built on a weed farmer's land...

Probably because all of the weeds will be immune to herbicides and all that will be left is weed farmers. I just hope that weed is the Marijuana tree.

Reactions: torbee
You could try Breitbach Country Dining. Oldest bar and restaurant in Iowa although it has burned down twice since 2007.

In all honesty I've never been so I can't comment on food quality etc. so this recommendation really means nothing
Breitbachs has gone down hill a bit. My dad and Mike Breitbach were in basic training together so I say this with reservation. Cool views, better food elsewhere. The original place was burned total loss twice in the last 10 years.

Reactions: torbee
Look at past posts about Dubuque venues. There have been some good guides posted. Short version:

-Brazen for good food
-Paul’s Tap and Denny’s Lux Club for Townie bars
-Yardarm for a cool riverside drinking spot
-Supper Club experience? Take your pick, I prefer the Kall Inn.

of note: Stone Cliff Winery in the Old Dubuque Star Brewery in the Port of Dubuque has just this week re-released Dubuque Star Beer (brewed in the Potosi Brewery across the River) very cool to re-experience a Dubuque staple brew.
-Plenty of good places along Main Street.

hit me up if you need a tour guide.

As a native Dubuquer, with a lot on family that was extras in the movie, I am concerned about the huge commercialization plan. It has been a quaint quiet farm field middle of nowhere venue…. I hope that’s not lost. But I think it’s already gone.

Inches from the Wisconsin border. Better prices than Moline.

Reactions: Moral
One of the best breweries in the US is Decorah, Toppling Goliath.
Was just up there on Friday for the first time. Had a Softy Mule which is their Softy Summer Sour mixed with Ginger beer and served on the rocks. It was outstanding and a perfect summer drink. Unfortunately they did not have any Softy Sours to purchase and take home. Would highly recommend a visit to the brewery.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Inches from the Wisconsin border. Better prices than Moline.
I’ve never driven past that place without a constant stream of vehicles coming in and out. Has to be a gold mine. From beater Chevy’s to some high test vehicles, they all venture there. Plus it’s close to The Three Mile House for fine supper club dining after you grabbed your goods!

If you're into sours/fruit beers, take a quick skip over the WI border and find some New Glarus.

Raspberry Tart (lambic sour) & Wisconsin Belgian Red
#1 and #2 in their Fruit and Field Beer category on BeerAdvocate

If you're into sours/fruit beers, take a quick skip over the WI border and find some New Glarus.

Good call on New Glarus, they're also really good. It's been a few years, but that's a really good sour. Their Scream IPA was really good too.

Good call on New Glarus, they're also really good. It's been a few years, but that's a really good sour. Their Scream IPA was really good too.
They've made solid stuff for years.

They quit entering those two into national beer contests 15+ years ago, after pretty much cleaning up the medals for well over a decade. I think each one of those has won over a dozen gold/silver medals. They list them on their site.

If you don't like either of those, then you know fruit/sour beers aren't for you.

People always make me grab them New Glarus when I go up that way.

Reactions: Joes Place
ADVERTISEMENT