ADVERTISEMENT

I’m ready to say it....

We got a damn good team boyz. I really think this is an elite level team. I believe we can play with anybody. This might be the best defense we’ve ever fielded. I hope we get those few bounces and find ourselves in the B1G championship game. Could be a really special season!
Couple of flooky plays against Wisconsin, otherwise a pretty solid season thus far. Iowa’s not good enough to overlook anyone, though.

Couple of flooky plays against Wisconsin, otherwise a pretty solid season thus far. Iowa’s not good enough to overlook anyone, though.
Agreed. However, we are good enough to overcome some mistakes. Stanley has gifted several turnovers and we only paid in one game. Wisky was a bad loss, but we can still have a special season. I’m really excited to see where it goes.

Got an offense that can score points, and a defense that can get off the field on 3rd down. Some playmakers on both sides. Good punter, very good kicker.

Seasoned, talented QB that doesn't seem to panic. He's not Aaron Rogers, but he's very good.

They've had some injuries to some key guys, but the next man in has done a very good job.

They are still "beatable", for certain. But somebody, even PSU, is going to have to bring their A game to get 'em.

We got a damn good team boyz. I really think this is an elite level team. I believe we can play with anybody. This might be the best defense we’ve ever fielded. I hope we get those few bounces and find ourselves in the B1G championship game. Could be a really special season!
The D has a lot of room for improvement. However, I'm definitely relieved that the D is developing some depth.

Frankly, the D is similar to what its been in prior sessons ... it's just that they're doing an even better job of getting to the QB.

Another key difference has more to do with the O ... this group can put some points on the board! You combine Phil's great scoring D with an O that can put up some points .... you're gonna win some games!

Are we at a level yet where we could be competitive if we got matched up against a SEC team in a bowl game?

If this team is really good, then they will run the table from here and
have a shot at B1G championship game. The defense has good pash rush, but doesn't stop the run or cover as well as the 2009 defense. The offense is better than 2009.

The injuries had me worried but the next men in have handled it, and we know how much depth we have now. Stanley's consistency seems to be getting better and better, he is not pressing and the game is coming to him. Brandon Smith is starting to impress at WR, along with our two world class TE's.And Brian, people have sharply criticized him but he looks to be on the path to be a great OC. I love how he has opened up the O, and have also become very balanced. I think we can run the table in the BIG, whether we do or not is another story. The mistakes vs the Badgers sting, but we know were the best team in the West, and I don't think Bucky has lost there last game yet, so we still have a great chance. Even Penn State is very beatable without Barkley, so if Iowa shows up every week and brings there A game, we're going to Indy. FWIW I was reading Northwestern's forum, and after being really down on Fitz seem to be somewhat beating there chests thinking they have a chance to win the West. Would be nice if they would take Bucky down for us, and we beat them in return for their hospitality. The West is far from won.

Reactions: VicHawkeye
We do have a pretty good team by Iowa standards, the latest difference being it appears we finally figured out the forward pass. Turns out on 3rd and 7, you actually can throw a pass PAST the line to gain and complete it. Who knew?

We have been better than everyone we have played, and still have a loss. That part sucks.

And we found a punter. Miracles do happen.

Long way to go, but at least for me, I won't be convinced until we go to a good Bowl where we don't get ran out of the building.

2002 Iowa team would dismantle this team .
Lets see how the Hawks fair at Happy Valley. In most respects, the '02 Iowa squad was a lot more veteran than the '18 squad too.

However, if the '18 squad continues to improve and develop .... I could definitely see the '18 squad close the gap.

Recruiting. It has really improved and is starting to show. The quality depth is impressive. Iowa has themselves set up to have really good teams for awhile.

Agreed. And man oh man to I hate to dwell, but we missed an opportunity to start to supplant the badgers as the top dog in the west. Alright, I am done. Moving on.

Reactions: Huskred01
He is right though. Love this team and they have the potential to be great, but 2002 they are not, yet. Got d news though. We still have 6 games to go. Go in and put it to psu, watch out.
It’s a pointless exercise to compare 2002 to this team.

Ya, Iowa has a fine football team, but I would temper some of a those expectations until you a play some ranked opponents or better teams in da B1G East. (OSU, Mich, MSU, PSU). B1G West really looks down with Wisconsin getting pummelled by #2-3 team in the B1G East. And win over Indiana while convincing, don't forget Indiana struggled with Rutgers. :)

It's worth noting that in the first 6 games of the 2002 season, Iowa lost to ISU at home, almost blew a game @ PSU and won in OT, and snuck/lucked past Purdue at home. Not dominant by any stretch. That team turned it up the last half of the season, no reason can't do the same this year.

Ya, Iowa has a fine football team, but I would temper some of a those expectations until you a play some ranked opponents or better teams in da B1G East. (OSU, Mich, MSU, PSU). B1G West really looks down with Wisconsin getting pummelled by #2-3 team in the B1G East. And win over Indiana while convincing, don't forget Indiana struggled with Rutgers. :)

Ya, stfu.

Lets see how the Hawks fair at Happy Valley. In most respects, the '02 Iowa squad was a lot more veteran than the '18 squad too.

However, if the '18 squad continues to improve and develop .... I could definitely see the '18 squad close the gap.
2002 Iowa team would run all day against this team , remember this team isn't nearly as stout against the run and the 2002 Iowa OL might be the best in team history, then there is Bob Sanders , made many a TE develop alligator arms real fast . Never forget His hit on the Michigan TE running the seam route, guys helmet popped straight up in the air about 10 feet . Think Fant could handle hits all day from Bob? I like this team but Dallas Clark would abuse the LBs and the 2002 DL would eat up this OL.. Then there is Brad Banks dual threat, just too much for this young team to take. JMO .

So did tOSU with Indiana and Minnesota at the Shoe while Iowa beat them both on the road convincingly. Your team is getting better too as the season moves along and I believe the Big 12 isn’t as good as everyone thinks outside of Ok, Texas, and the Clones, maybe TCU.

B1G sets the schedule so Iowa will find out more at Happy Valley and possibly B1G Championship game vs the best of the East. I love all the Clone fans saying the West isn’t good outside of Wisconsin and Iowa right behind them but ISU lived in the Big 12 North and never won it, Nebraska moved to the B1G West in 2010 and has only won it once.

Your Clones will get the chance “next year” to stop the streak of four in a row but until then, your brethen need to stop using ifs and buts, as the old saying goes...if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all have a Merry Christmas.

Reactions: DougFHawkeye
Stated from the guy who said this might be the best Iowa defense ever? Please if Minnesota had lined up a TE in wildcat against the 2002 Iowa defense the DL alone would have stonewalled that stuff and in the slim chance He got past the line Bob would have concussed Him. This team was giving up huge chunks all day to that guy and If Minnesota would have stuck with it all day they might have put up 250 yards rushing. This team might be more athletic in the back 7 but not nearly as tough in the front 7 on defense. Plus the 2002 Iowa OL would have this DL 4 yards off the ball all day . If they can run the table then I will say they can be mentioned in the same county as the 2002 team .

Reactions: And1Hawk
Stated from the guy who said this might be the best Iowa defense ever? Please if Minnesota had lined up a TE in wildcat against the 2002 Iowa defense the DL alone would have stonewalled that stuff and in the slim chance He got past the line Bob would have concussed Him. This team was giving up huge chunks all day to that guy and If Minnesota would have stuck with it all day they might have put up 250 yards rushing. This team might be more athletic in the back 7 but not nearly as tough in the front 7 on defense. Plus the 2002 Iowa OL would have this DL 4 yards off the ball all day . If they can run the table then I will say they can be mentioned in the same county as the 2002 team .
The 2002 defense was completely exposed as a fraud against usc. They scored at will

Reactions: Greenway4Prez

I agree. But I can see the two TE’s we currently have giving the 02 defense some real problems. Hockensen is very Dallas Clark like and Fant is very Moeaki like IMO. Imagine the 02 defense having to go up against Dallas Clark and Tony Moeaki at the same time. Yeah that would suck for them.

People like to believe the 02 team was a godlike team. Those same people forget that the 02 defense had a weakness and that was against the pass. Right now, the 18 defense allows far less yards per game than the 02 defense and the 18 rush defense is comparable to the 02 rush defense. They are actually within a few yards per game.

Statistically, the 18 defense is better than the 02 defense. But the season is only half over.

Offensively the two are comparable as well in total yards. The 02 team definitely had a better rush offense, but the 18 definitely has a better passing offense; which was the 02 defense’s achilles.

I love the 02 team as much as the next fan. But I believe comparing the two teams is definitely appropriate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT