ADVERTISEMENT

I’m starting to rethink summer vacation plans

runkpanole

HR Legend
Nov 17, 2002
We like to take two weeks and go to different places. With the costs of hotels, gas and food, I’m beginning to wonder if we should scale down. If gas goes to $5 or more this summer, it will put us a good deal over our initially planned budget. Anyone else altering their plans or way of living?

I know this is HORT and everyone is a billionaire, but damn.

Oh and I know this will turn political with the usual finger pointing of reasons why, but I’ll stick to just asking the question about whether you are altering things.

Reactions: mattymoknows
We like to take two weeks and go to different places. With the costs of hotels, gas and food, I’m beginning to wonder if we should scale down. If gas goes to $5 or more this summer, it will put us a good deal over our initially planned budget. Anyone else altering their plans or way of living?

Oh and I know this will turn political with the usual finger pointing of reasons why, but I’ll stick to just asking the question about whether you are altering things.
How many miles are you driving and how many miles per gallon do you get? I mean this in the least assholey way, but I wouldn't think an extra couple hundred bucks in fuel would be a game changer.

We have not altered plans, but we have a lot of travel planned for our diesel-powered class B (van) motorhome, and it’s going to be expensive.

Nah, I ain’t no schoolboy bitch

• Wow
Reactions: NCHawk5
How many miles are you driving and how many miles per gallon do you get? I mean this in the least assholey way, but I wouldn't think an extra couple hundred bucks in fuel would be a game changer.
It’s not just the fuel. Yes, that is part of it. But hotels are up as is food. I’m budgeting about $6K total, but we are probably looking at close to $7K. We’ll still be going, just thinking of cutting a couple of days off.

It’s not just the fuel. Yes, that is part of it. But hotels are up as is food. I’m budgeting about $6K total, but we are probably looking at close to $7K. We’ll still be going, just thinking of cutting a couple of days off.
Gotcha, Gas is already over $4, so I didn't think $5 would be that big of a deal, if one has the discretionary income for a vacation.

Reactions: runkpanole
Gotcha, Gas is already over $4, so I didn't think $5 would be that big of a deal, if one has the discretionary income for a vacation.
I set the budget up at around $4. We will be doing about 3,000 miles, so you’re right, gas won’t be the driving factor in any changes, just part of it.

Well, I've never been to Spain.

Me either. Direct flights each way helped, Madrid seems to get some mixed reviews, but has some nice day trip options. Barcelona will probably get a couple more days than Madrid. The things to do hasn't been fleshed out yet.

We haven’t changed plans, but I’m getting anxious about paying a lot for crappy service, longer than normal lines, and the such which seems to be the new norm.

We are driving to Estes Park and back however we are staying with family so that will save us a lot of money.
Have you been there before? We went during covid so we could stay in a cabin away from people and do outdoor activities and we absolutely loved it. Really made me question why we live in Iowa when other parts of the country are so beautiful. Lol.

You’re talking about making up $1k in extra expenses? Can’t you hustle a little on the side and have your other family members mow some lawns or some shit?

The girlfriend and I are doing a week in NYC in June thankfully we had booked in February. Got a good deal air and hotel for 1700. Had originally wanted to do Montana but holy hell air and hotel would have been so much.

I already paid for the big ticket items for my vacation so there is less of an effect for me personally. But I am seeing unreal pricing for people who are still looking to book for this summer. Out of control pricing. Air double to triple what it should be. If anyone wants to do an Alaska cruise in late summer there is some stupid low pricing there. But air might be crazy.

We're pretty much locked in to everything we're doing. A few days in Destin, a few days back home in Buffalo for a wedding. I'm fortunate to be at a point in my life that the increased expenses from inflation aren't life changing yet.

Probably the main change is that my son wrecked his car, and we got the insurance settlement, and we're not going to replace it now at current used car prices. We'll make do with one less vehicle for the forseeable future.

...but I kind of like the music.
you-get-me-happy-tears.gif

• Haha
Haven't changed plans yet since I'm planning on doing 3 short vacation trips (3-4 day trips) this year.

I will say airfare jumped big time. I booked a trip from Houston to Denver for July earlier this week and airfare was almost $700. I think I paid around $300 the last time I went there in the summer of 2019. Definitely some sticker shock for sure.

How much do you plan on driving? Do the math and is the additional cost that impactful? I get it - the sticker shock is scary, but if you are good at doing it at $4/gal, whats another $75? Skip a dinner out, or cut a day off the backend.
Just round easy numbers: If you drive 2000 miles and get 30MPG, $4 gas is about $266. If $5 gas, its another $67.

Reactions: ericram
You’re talking about making up $1k in extra expenses? Can’t you hustle a little on the side and have your other family members mow some lawns or some shit?
My kids are 8 and 3. Ain’t much hustling to be done there. The mid year bonus I got last year hasn’t been discussed yet. That happens, we’re gravy.

My kids are 8 and 3. Ain’t much hustling to be done there. The mid year bonus I got last year hasn’t been discussed yet. That happens, we’re gravy.
Bro, you serious? Best ages to stage a panhandling scam. Just take a Saturday afternoon, head to a busy intersection.

• Haha
Trip coming up in June: Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Wales, Amsterdam, and Denmark.

Flights and hotels were, fortunately, not that bad compared to what could have been. Round-trip from LA to Lisbon and then Copenhagen back to LA was around $800 (I know, round trip flights to and from Europe are often a good amount cheaper. I got that flight in March). The little flights, such as from Madrid, Spain to Marrakesh, Morocco were cheap, $24. The most expensive was Cardiff to Amsterdam which was less than $100. Hotels, all 4* (I know, a true HROTer would only stay in 5* hotels) were below $100 a night.

Did I get lucky?

We are flying to Florida in a few weeks because we got a great rate through Allegiant but decided to drive to Texas in July instead.

Even at $4.50/gallon it's only $350 round trip. A single round-trip ticket is $600 from Moline.

Hopefully. Maybe I'll get the AIDS, though.
Be careful if you’re hitting the fetish festival circuit. Monkey pox going around.

Belgium’s three confirmed cases of monkeypox have been linked to a large-scale fetish festival in the port city of Antwerp, organisers said Friday.

The price of gas and food and lodging will not be altering my plans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT