ADVERTISEMENT

"I always love guys from Iowa because of the culture they come from." -Buffalo HC Sean McDermott

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Marcel is a Bills reporter for ESPN. Sean McDermott is the Buffalo Bills Head Coach. And I am sure you all remember Sean Considine.

AJ Epenesa, of course, was selected by the Bills in the 2nd round.

What follows is pretty damn awesome.

EWdXmyPWkAE7hQD

Last edited:
This is awesome.
This may be slow going, but the more this happens and the more people that notice, the better recruits Iowa may get (as long as they fit the Iowa mold). And it will only pick up steam. Slowly, but still pick up steam.

I hope anyway.

This.

People eventually (recruits) catch on to guys who have all the "eye candy" but can't come through with their promises. Today's player wants to come into a situation that they feel important for more things than just how they perform on a Saturday. Iowa Football under this leadership provides that and has a track record of 20 years to prove it.

"They’re disciplined football players. They’re very high-character guys. The other thing is they love to play the game." Vikings GM Rick Spielman

This pretty much sums up why I'm proud to be an Iowa Hawkeye. Yes, it's great to win but to have athletes (in all sports) who are respected as individuals as much (or more) as players, is rare among college athletics. Love being part of this "family".

How many of the 5-***** fit this mold? How many of these 5-***** does Iowa try to get?

How many of the 5-***** fit this mold? How many of these 5-***** does Iowa try to get?
Just because someone is talented doesn't mean they're a dbag. That is nonsense. Obviously, on average, they're more cocky than a 2star. Then again not much for a 2star to be cocky about and there are still plenty 5* like aje that do not get an Iowa offer!!!

Watching the post-draft interviews, it's remarkable that all 5 players seem very similar in attitude and demeanor. Iowa definitely recruits a "type" that fits the program.

Very true. Iowa doesn't offer 400 kids in a recruiting class because the coaches are looking for a player that fits the program. Some schools aren't close to being that choosey, yet their fans insist all 400 of their recruits are carefully vetted. Math must be very hard for their fans.

Just because someone is talented doesn't mean they're a dbag. That is nonsense. Obviously, on average, they're more cocky than a 2star. Then again not much for a 2star to be cocky about and there are still plenty 5* like aje that do not get an Iowa offer!!!
Some of that’s due to the recruits telling Iowa they aren’t interested in Iowa. Also, some of that’s due to the fact some of them wouldn’t qualify at Iowa, same as some 2*-4* wouldn’t qualify or aren’t interested in Iowa. Iowa isn’t like Nebraska where an offer only means there is interest.

This is awesome.
This may be slow going, but the more this happens and the more people that notice, the better recruits Iowa may get (as long as they fit the Iowa mold). And it will only pick up steam. Slowly, but still pick up steam.

I hope anyway.

We are witnessing a strong surge by the Iowa program in the last 5 years. The best is still yet to come, imo.

The best part is that Long-Term always wins over the short-term.

Coach Ferentz has believed in his system and approach.....since the very beginning! He has not wavered or faltered in his ultimate goal of winning games and, subsequently, growing young men into Men. The success lately is directly related to the people who work side by side with Coach Ferentz (asst coaches and student athletes {over alot of years}) but mostly due to Coach. The guy has been "who he is" for 35+ years of coaching. It just so happens we're in a time where people are remembering how imperative it is to grow up properly and to learn from strong leaders who have a moral compass / teach you to work hard for your goals. I do love when it "pays off" in the public's eyes. The key is there are great parents and highly intelligent students who have realized Coach Ferentz can take you through a world class education, on and off the field, and bring you out the other end a true Man. Stuff that can positively alter your future trajectory.

He is a gem, will always be a gem, and many will never recognize it.

Speaking of culture, our two recent OL commits, as you can see below, are perfect culture fits.

David almost played rugby. He's already 6-foot-6 and 295 pounds. And Davidkov's parents are Bulgarian immigrants who drove trucks to provide for their family. David chose Iowa over Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin.

The story:

Last edited:
Awesome story. Thanks for sharing.
Some pretty powerful quotes from Mr Davidkov:

“I just see Iowa, ever since I’ve been recruited by them, as a perfect fit for me. I’m doing this commitment for myself because I know this place will be the best for me. It’s been my feeling for the past seven months. The coaches there are just amazing, the best I’ve talked to out of any of the coaches.

“I just feel best there and where I feel best is where I reckon I’ll play best.”

“The hardworking characteristic and blue collar, humble, dedicated characteristic from the players and fan base and Iowa itself (stood out). I really respect that and that’s something that, really, was held dearly to me.”

I love hearing and reading these kind of comments about our program. You can't buy this type of positive advertising. KF and the staff are highly respected and they are building this program the right way.
No doubt. Iowa seems like such an outlier. You listen to all the negative crap at many of these schools even in the BIG. Then in our bowl, the way the game played out, allowed the announcers to basically compare the difference in culture, and stability between Iowa and a storied program like USC with Iowa in the bright light of praise as the way things should be done. It was such an overwhelming feeling for Hawk fans that our pride in our program is a real thing, and is being noticed. From our respected leader, to the wave and all its brought in terms of national attention. The performance on the field, and now to see these young men and obviously their parents acknowledge that there is worth in doing things the right way. Its a GREAT time to be a HAWKEYE!

Continuity is THE most undervalued attribute in college athletics. When you watch an Iowa game invariably at some point during the broadcast an announcer will make a comment about how well coached the Hawkeyes are and about how they don't beat themselves. And of course much of this has to do with Ferentz and staff. But, it also has to do with the continuity within the program imo. If you're a 4th or 5th year guy at Iowa, you know what your job is. You've been in the same system the entire time you've been there. You probably know the playbook as well as the coaches do at that point. And these guys help usher in the under classmen. You've basically got 20 graduate assistant ON the team. Sure there might be better athletes on the other side of the line, but no Hawkeye is confused about what their roll is, or where they're supposed to be and when. This is invaluable.

Soooo many programs make the mistake of running their coach out of town on rail the second things start to go south. But it hardly ever works out to their benefit. Nebraska is a perfect example. Those guys are learning an entirely knew system every couple years for a long time now. That's no good. A wise man once said, "everybody hates their ex girlfriend until their new one gives them herpes." Be careful what you ask for. I love the fact that Iowa doesn't apologize for what they are. They believe in their system and they buy into it.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
Related story from SB Nation:

Buffalo Bills prefer players from University of Iowa
The team loves drawing from the Hawkeye’s well.
May 6, 2020

If a typical Buffalo Bills fan was asked which college is most represented on the team’s roster, many of them would likely guess one of the big SEC schools, such as LSU or Alabama. However, how many would know the correct answer is the University of Iowa? The Hawkeyes are represented on the team by veteran safety Micah Hyde, newly drafted defensive end A.J. Epenesa, along with offensive lineman Ike Boettger and depth wide receiver Nick Easley. Clearly, head coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane see something attractive in the Hawkeyes’ program when it comes to draft prospects.

There’s no doubt, because McDermott has said as much to at least one reporter. Back during the season, the Bills head coach revealed to ESPN’s Marcel Louis-Jacques that “I always love guys from Iowa because of the culture they come from” and that was a contributing factor in his interest in Micah Hyde back in 2017.

McDermott added to those comments following the 2020 NFL Draft:

“I’ve never spent a day with Iowa football,” said McDermott. “My mom is from Iowa and I was born in Nebraska, so I’ve got some really close ties out there to those programs. But overall, I feel like their culture is known. To your point, it’s admirable the way that they’ve built that culture. Coach Ferentz. I’ve coached players that have come from that culture. The minute we drafted A.J., I immediately got a couple of texts from players that I’ve coached that went to Iowa that know him or know of him or know of his family. It seems like there’s a lot of parallels between their culture and our culture here. Not intentionally so, but I do have a lot of respect for what they’ve been able to do out there over the course of time and sustain it.”

An organization that rarely attracts five-star recruits—outside of Epenesa himself—Iowa is instead famous for their emphasis on fundamentals and player development. In this year’s draft class, the team turned two- and three-star recruits like Geno Stone, Michael Ojemudia and Nate Stanley into NFL Draft picks. Even first-round tackle Tristan Wirfs was only a four-star recruit coming out of high school. The Hawkeyes turned him into the 13th overall pick.

Former Bills general manager Bill Polian summed it up pretty well when speaking to The Athletic before the draft:

“When you get a player from Iowa, no matter what the skill level, you know he’s completely ready for the NFL,” Polian told The Athletic. “He knows how to work. He knows how to study. He’s disciplined. He knows how to conduct himself as a professional.”

That type of pedigree will come in handy as the Bills look to rely on their four Hawkeyes during the 2020 season.

LINK: https://www.buffalorumblings.com/20...falo-bills-nfl-draft-brandon-beane-aj-epenesa

It would be sweet if Buffalo has a great season with Micah and AJ being dominate defensive players for them.... then just keep showing that McDermott quote over and over and over again

Yeah; on April 25, when I saw these statements by Buffalo Bills Head Coach Sean McDermott about Iowa, the Iowa culture, and why he likes Iowa players, I thought it was pretty awesome. I still do. ;)

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
This thread needs to be bumped. I wish I could pin it to Robert T. Greens twitter page.

Mr. Green is only interested in taking a negative and turning it into a profit for his pocket.
He won't care about all the good things Kirk and coaches do.

Reactions: hawkosx
I've been a bills fan since the 80's and Ronnie harmon and stuff. marv levy was a coe college guy

the iowa reputation has been tanked lately unfortunately

Yes, most employers like their employees to show up on time, work hard, act professional and represent the company with class. That's the Iowa culture. Some have trouble adjusting to it at 18 years old. Doyle had trouble adjusting to it at 50 it appears. That's why I have no problem with his termination or players transferring if they can't handle the expectations.

I mean, NFL guys like McDermott, Spielman and Paton are entitled to their opinions. They weren’t in Iowa City to see it all though. They didn’t have to drink protein shakes and put on the weight required to play in the B1G! They didn’t have to go to class and earn their way out of academic probation!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT