ADVERTISEMENT

"I always love guys from Iowa because of the culture they come from." -Buffalo HC Sean McDermott

I mean, NFL guys like McDermott, Spielman and Paton are entitled to their opinions. They weren’t in Iowa City to see it all though. They didn’t have to drink protein shakes and put on the weight required to play in the B1G! They didn’t have to go to class and earn their way out of academic probation!
Wow, soooooo much white privilege in this post. This is the language of the oppressor!!1!

Reactions: HFan1981
Serious question. Is not part of what school K - 12 about conformity and teaching what are considered proper manners? We get drilled into our heads how to write properly and construct "proper" sentences and how we can dress and act in school. This is all based on some English system of centuries ago that prepares kids for these types of situations in work places. How we should dress, how we should speak, how we should write. We are all taught how we should be based on some antiquated ideas and/or how the business world wants its future employees to behave. I get the idea that perception is reality. What the heck is proper anymore and what isn't and who drives that? Employers or ?????

Serious question. Is not part of what school K - 12 about conformity and teaching what are considered proper manners? We get drilled into our heads how to write properly and construct "proper" sentences and how we can dress and act in school. This is all based on some English system of centuries ago that prepares kids for these types of situations in work places. How we should dress, how we should speak, how we should write. We are all taught how we should be based on some antiquated ideas and/or how the business world wants its future employees to behave. I get the idea that perception is reality. What the heck is proper anymore and what isn't and who drives that? Employers or ?????

Kids need to get it at home also and that part is sorely in many family's now days.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I know of at least one "principle" that says not to worry about spelling. Kids have phones with spell check on them. As for manners, kids are rewarded for "not being bad". they don't even have to be good.
America's future isn't very bright imo. way too many people in charge that have no business and just got there kissing ass or knowing the right people....

Reactions: And1Hawk
Bust your ass, or die trying

Marcel is a Bills reporter for ESPN. Sean McDermott is the Buffalo Bills Head Coach. And I am sure you all remember Sean Considine.

AJ Epenesa, of course, was selected by the Bills in the 2nd round.

What follows is pretty damn awesome.

EWdXmyPWkAE7hQD

Yes, most employers like their employees to show up on time, work hard, act professional and represent the company with class. That's the Iowa culture. Some have trouble adjusting to it at 18 years old. Doyle had trouble adjusting to it at 50 it appears. That's why I have no problem with his termination or players transferring if they can't handle the expectations.
Yeah, Doyle. Seems you all don't like the methods but you like the results. You think these Iowa products just happened? They were made, and part of what made them is the environment Doyle produced. You may not like it, and a lot of you don't, but that environment got results. Sometimes that motivation will cross the line. It has to when you're pushing these kids far beyond they think they can go.

Reactions: GoUIowa
Yeah, Doyle. Seems you all don't like the methods but you like the results. You think these Iowa products just happened? They were made, and part of what made them is the environment Doyle produced. You may not like it, and a lot of you don't, but that environment got results. Sometimes that motivation will cross the line. It has to when you're pushing these kids far beyond they think they can go.
I am fairly certain that without him you may see iowa get soft and less intimidating. sort of like : they will become the harvard tennis team now or something . ha ha

Just a reminder of what NFL coaches think about the Iowa culture and the players/men Iowa develops....

I don't think anyone is arguing with the NFL results. If you go through 3+ years in the Iowa program, you are expected to show up on time, pay attention and listen. They don't let guys on the field at Iowa who don't do those things. The NFL likes coaching players who are both a) good enough to play in the NFL and b) will be low maintenance when it comes to the other things.

Now, where the issue is as it relates to Iowa is were the Iowa coaches (SC and others) focusing on the wrong things? In addition to showing up on time or making weight, etc., were they focusing on stuff that didnt' mean anything like hair, clothes, other stuff? And were motivational techniques being used that were over the line and/or completely insensitive if not outright racist? Perhaps. Hopefully that's what the investigation will shed some light on.

I don't think anyone is arguing with the NFL results. If you go through 3+ years in the Iowa program, you are expected to show up on time, pay attention and listen. They don't let guys on the field at Iowa who don't do those things. The NFL likes coaching players who are both a) good enough to play in the NFL and b) will be low maintenance when it comes to the other things.

Now, where the issue is as it relates to Iowa is were the Iowa coaches (SC and others) focusing on the wrong things? In addition to showing up on time or making weight, etc., were they focusing on stuff that didnt' mean anything like hair, clothes, other stuff? And were motivational techniques being used that were over the line and/or completely insensitive if not outright racist? Perhaps. Hopefully that's what the investigation will shed some light on.
the official report can't come soon enough; its too bad Howe & Rittenberg tried to beat the law firm to the punch

The Buffalo Bills are a smart, up & coming NFL Franchise, sort of like the
Kansas City Chiefs, who just won the Super Bowl. The Chiefs defense featured 2 Hawkeye linebackers, as they drove to the Top of the NFL.
The Bills are likely the favorite in the AFC East this season. Sorry pats

the official report can't come soon enough; its too bad Howe & Rittenberg tried to beat the law firm to the punch

For the most part, there's nothing wrong with what they are doing. Howe definitely has an agenda, but he did nothing wrong in filing a FOIA request and looking at what Iowa has been doing the last few years. Iowa realized it had a problem the last few years, and yet for whatever reason couldn't get to the root of the problem as it appeared to be -- that Doyle was allowed to create his own little fiefdom in the weight room that no one could question. The only person in a position to do something about it -- Ferentz -- either wasn't paying attention to what was really happening or wasn't being told everything. It's likely a combination of the two.

Rittenberg has guys on the record talking about their experiences. Including McNutt, who is one of the most successful players at Iowa. If he indeed did point out problems directly to KF earlier in the decade and was specific in what the problem was, then KF deserves whatever happens. It's the leader's job if things are pointed out to actually go and become informed on them.

Lomax in the story in Hawk Central today said he came and talked to the team in 2017 but didn't bring up Doyle to Ferentz. He says he regrets that now. I get now why KF said in his first press conference on this in June that he didn't do a good enough job of listening. What he's getting at there is he didn't get to the point where he was making guys feel comfortable enough telling him what the real problem was. So Iowa was working on fringe things like clothes, hats, earrings, music, etc. Those are good improvements, but they dance around the real issue. We won't ever know how KF would have reacted if a guy like Lomax or Daniels had said in private that Doyle was a problem. But once Daniels went public on Twitter and the other guys (who were well respected and in the NFL) agreed too, things reached a critical mass.

My own personal opinion in all this is that KF allowed Doyle to operate with far too little oversight. Any leader/manager can fall into that trap where a high performer is given autonomy and allowed to do as they please. After all, you as the leader have other things to worry about/take up your time. Combine that with the fact the S&C staff does operate a bit separately from the coaching staff. The S&C staff are the ones that get the most time with the players out of season. It was obvious that Doyle's voice mattered a lot in how a player was viewed throughout the entire program, and likely too much so.

Is that enough to show KF the door? Maybe. The head coach is ultimately responsible for everything that goes on in the program. That's why they pay him the large salary. Yes, he can't know every interaction that goes on in the building. But he's responsible for hiring all those people. He's responsible for creating an environment where problems can be addressed in a way that gets to the root of the problem. The fact that so many players are adamant that KF is not the problem speaks well for his character and how he personally treated players. I don't know what the answer is here, as none of us have all the facts or the information.

The more I read about this, including Lomax's interview published today, the more I think Doyle was a net negative for the program. Some players clearly seem to have thrived under his watch. That said, far too many did not and appear to be have been quickly cast aside by him. Its obvious he was more feared than respected. I suspect KF came to the same realization and that drove the separation agreement.

I also think its important to note that while Phil Parker has a reputation for being tough on his guys, they asked him not to change. That's the difference between being respected and being Doyle.

ADVERTISEMENT