ADVERTISEMENT

I am guessing Brandon Smith will do well at Iowa's Pro Day (there is no NFL Combine this Year)

Good athlete with potentially really good measurables. If/when he gets to an NFL team, he'll have to prove he can get open often, though...that may be the biggest challenge for him

I don't think Brandon will play a starring role in the NFL but I believe could play a strong supporting role. I hope he gets the chance to demonstrate his skills.

He has all the measurables but does he have the self discipline? Where he lands will also impact his success. I hope it all comes together for him.

He has all the measurables but does he have the self discipline? Where he lands will also impact his success. I hope it all comes together for him.
Just curious what Brandon has ever done to question his self discipline? He has seemed like a model teammate to me throughout his career. A receiver that blocks like him sure doesn't come across as undisciplined to me.

Just curious what Brandon has ever done to question his self discipline? He has seemed like a model teammate to me throughout his career. A receiver that blocks like him sure doesn't come across as undisciplined to me.

To be successful at the next level you can't take any plays off, especially when you are trying to land a spot in the NFL.

To be successful at the next level you can't take any plays off, especially when you are trying to land a spot in the NFL.

I dont believe there are any self discipline deficiencies but his receiving skills are better suited for a possession and red zone type of player. I think he can be coached up to focus on better RAC production. He could be a piece in a run oriented offense.

Reactions: KatoHawk
Chicago Bears will be looking for later round receivers.... Hopefully Nagy’s last year

If he goes 4.4x 40, and catches balls thrown his way, I could see someone take a flyer on him later on day 2 even.

It would be amazing to get a single WR drafted, two would be outstanding.

Its also nice for Iowa to have guys that wow at the combine -either by how they look or how they test (Fant, Hock, Wirfs) - as opposed to the 'short arms' sort of stuff Hawks always seemed to deal with for a while.

Last edited:
If Brandon Smith is a super freak athlete we certainly did not see that in games. I hope the best for him but he was not featured - at all - in that way. He as a big body that every so often had a fade thrown to him in the end zone. If he runs a sub 4.5 40 than where was this in the Iowa offense. ?

If he goes 4.4x 40, and catches balls thrown his way, I could someone take a flyer on him on day 2 even.

It would be amazing to get a single WR drafted, two would be outstanding.

Its also nice for Iowa to have guys that wow at the combine -either by how they look or how they test (Fant, Hock, Wirfs) - as opposed to the 'short arms' sort of stuff Hawks always seemed to deal with for a while.

Yea, it's that 40 time.... If Brandon can run a 4.4 then I think he'll be pretty coveted day 2 considering his redzone highlights and the speed

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
I don’t remember him running away from d-backs. Is it speed or not running a great route?
There's a difference between track speed and pad speed. Brandon may be one of those guys that just is a bit slower when playing the game. Usually we have skill guys trying to make the NFL that go the other way around where their track times aren't as good as their playing speed.

Brandon has some skills and he has a shot at making an active roster. That's awesome.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
If Brandon Smith is a super freak athlete we certainly did not see that in games. I hope the best for him but he was not featured - at all - in that way. He as a big body that every so often had a fade thrown to him in the end zone. If he runs a sub 4.5 40 than where was this in the Iowa offense. ?

He definitely showed some flashes of amazing athleticism, but he tended to behave more like a possession receiver, which generally does not cut it on Sundays. He will have to really develop some RAC skillz.

I think with his size and jumping ability he could catch on with a team on the outside. To me, probably too slow to play other spots on the field but you never know. I don't have any numbers on me but Lazard probably isn't much faster and probably a career trajectory he could model himself around.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
I think with his size and jumping ability he could catch on with a team on the outside. To me, probably too slow to play other spots on the field but you never know. I don't have any numbers on me but Lazard probably isn't much faster and probably a career trajectory he could model himself around.
Part of the contrast there is that Lazard had demonstrated a bit more consistency on his college resume.

Brandon would still have to develop a bit and improve his consistency ... and the NFL is not always that forgiving for guys who still need to develop.

Reactions: hexumhawk

Exactly. Dude has been nothing but a great teammate since he's been at Iowa, as far as any of us know. Never any legal issues and the coaches all had great things to say. You don't have those type of physical measurements he's putting up without self-discipline. It's really too bad he got hurt in 2019 as he was really on a roll and had a good rhythm with Stanley. Then this year Petras just had some struggles and it was a weird year.

As you pointed out, he's very unselfish and the best blocking WR on the team. If he doesn't make it in the NFL, it will mean he just doesn't make it, not for lack of discipline.

DJ Metcalf was the 9th WR off the board. Never caught more than 40 balls a season in college but showed up to the combine an athletic freak. BS will have to show out at the combine and turn some heads to get noticed.

There are plenty of big bodied receivers, but which ones have hands and can run.

Just like ISM, there are plenty of burners, but which ones can run routes and have hands.

Honestly, for his size, strength and jumping ability, a 4.5 would be pretty solid and not hinder him in the least. He is just not a burner. Would love to be wrong.

Yea, I agree that just based on gameplay he looks more in the 4.5 range but I would love to see him in the 4.4's because that will definitely separate him from all of the other day 2-3 guys

I’m pretty sure he won’t run in the 4.4s and he may not even be in the 4.5s. 4.4 guys that are that big are extremely rare and we didn’t see that type of burst from him in games or we would’ve had two burners at WR.

Part of the contrast there is that Lazard had demonstrated a bit more consistency on his college resume.

Brandon would still have to develop a bit and improve his consistency ... and the NFL is not always that forgiving for guys who still need to develop.

He didn't reach the level I hoped for when he was recruited. He appeared to have Muhsin Muhammad potential with his physical attributes. Most comments here are focused on his physical characteristics, but IMO, that's not where the improvement needs to be. He never learned how to "control his space" and got so often pinned against the sideline or was left reaching around or over a defended. That results in an occasional circus catch but not to consistency.

If I'm a QB, my favorite target is the receiver who can find a way to make the catch if I get the ball anywhere in his vacinity.

High Jump
Long Jump
Bench

If he can run something like a 4.55 or less, it would really help his stock
Now you do realize that the best wide receiver ever to play the game ran a 4.71 at the combine his name is Jerry Rice similar athletic ability maybe.
Then Larry Fitzgerald who you could also say is one of the best wide receivers ever play the game ran a 4.63 40. Brandon Smith has all the tangibles of being a great wide receiver in the NFL the athletic ability is off the charts whether he could make that happen we will see! I definitely see him getting picked in the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: cm8124
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT