ADVERTISEMENT

I am really surprised

red/green hawk

HR Heisman
Oct 28, 2009
eek.r191677.gif

Let me preface, I haven't been on this site for a few months, I don't live in Iowa so I just happened upon an article saying Rudock was transfering because he got knocked down on the depth chart. WOW, according to most of the posts I read before I last was on here, it seemed KF didn't like CJB and that Rudock was his guy and that KF would ride the sinking ship down with Rudock. Please don't misunderstand this as a KF apologetic because I was one who thought just exactly that. So what happened?
1) Either the fan base is a total emotional wreck and has no idea what we are talking about
2) KF finally succombed to the fan base's pressure, or
3) KF does still have a pulse and big enough balls to make a change like this.

I don't live in Iowa either, and am a Husker fan, but I was also surprised.

Rudock seemed like a heckuva quarterback. Spent a lot of time working in the Iowa system and seemed to be a pretty good student of the game. He seemed like the real deal, but was missing some key offensive pieces around him.

I wasn't very surprised to also read Michigan is interested in him. Seems like a no-brainer. He's a seasoned QB with nothing but upside, plenty of game experience, and seems like a genuinely nice kid.

His numbers have been great, too. His minor stumbles have been almost entirely because of lack of talent around him. Plug him into almost any other team and you have a great QB, provided he can learn the signals quickly.

Has me shaking my head in confusion, too.

This whole thing was festering a little before mid-season. Let's just say outside influences (and the Nebby lose) brought it to a head.
If/when Jake transfers it'll all come out.
One could argue, looking at the two deeps KF may have decided he was going to need a miracle, not a game manager.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Duhawk47:
This whole thing was festering a little before mid-season. Let's just say outside influences (and the Nebby lose) brought it to a head.
If/when Jake transfers it'll all come out.
One could argue, looking at the two deeps KF may have decided he was going to need a miracle, not a game manager.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
I thought CJB would get the reigns after the PITT game, but it seemed like KF was so reluctant, hence all the talk about KF going down with his guy...peculiar.

Big Red if you think Jake is a good QB you've watched to many Nebraska football games where QBs think they should be able to run and not throw the ball. If Jake ever plays a down of football for Michigan Harbaugh may not be the coach Michigan is looking for. I think his transferring to Michigan is more Jakes idea than anyone else.

Originally posted by BigRedFlood:
I don't live in Iowa either, and am a Husker fan, but I was also surprised.

Rudock seemed like a heckuva quarterback. Spent a lot of time working in the Iowa system and seemed to be a pretty good student of the game. He seemed like the real deal, but was missing some key offensive pieces around him.

I wasn't very surprised to also read Michigan is interested in him. Seems like a no-brainer. He's a seasoned QB with nothing but upside, plenty of game experience, and seems like a genuinely nice kid.

His numbers have been great, too. His minor stumbles have been almost entirely because of lack of talent around him. Plug him into almost any other team and you have a great QB, provided he can learn the signals quickly.

Has me shaking my head in confusion, too.
images

This post was edited on 3/28 9:19 PM by hoks2415

Hey, not trolling at all, I just think it may be a mistake to let your veteran QB go so easily.

The backup is always the best QB, as the saying goes. If he lands at Michigan, I imagine your Rudock will have at least a good chance of playing for this year. They have an awful lot of talent, but none that has seen much or any time in a real game at this level. Rudock at least has plenty of experience. He'd give them a chance to work up some of the young ones.

I imagine Michigan is going to be like a bloodbath next year, though. Hard to imagine 5-6 guys all willing to change position when the competition starts to get heated.

Good luck with your new guy. I don't think I've seen him play at all, which is the reason I am curious about the sudden change. It seems like he would have already been featured prominently if he were better as a starter than as a backup.

btw, I like that troll image. I'm going to save it to use it in the future. One of the better ones I personally have seen.

Good luck, I hope to see Black Friday turn into a true rivalry with the West on the line often!

it will be interesting to see how it turns out. If Jake goes to Michigan he will be training under an excellent QB coach. I think Jake has the ability to be a great QB as long as the OC plays to his strengths. I don't think the Iowa coaches did this very well.I think the next Iowa QB will look more like Jake did last year, and Ruddock will look like a big loss for Iowa. unfortunately I don't think Jack was a bad quarterback I think he was a product of the system. I hope to see CJB turns out to be the real deal

Originally posted by BigRedFlood:
Hey, not trolling at all, I just think it may be a mistake to let your veteran QB go so easily.

The backup is always the best QB, as the saying goes. If he lands at Michigan, I imagine your Rudock will have at least a good chance of playing for this year. They have an awful lot of talent, but none that has seen much or any time in a real game at this level. Rudock at least has plenty of experience. He'd give them a chance to work up some of the young ones.

I imagine Michigan is going to be like a bloodbath next year, though. Hard to imagine 5-6 guys all willing to change position when the competition starts to get heated.

Good luck with your new guy. I don't think I've seen him play at all, which is the reason I am curious about the sudden change. It seems like he would have already been featured prominently if he were better as a starter than as a backup.

btw, I like that troll image. I'm going to save it to use it in the future. One of the better ones I personally have seen.

Good luck, I hope to see Black Friday turn into a true rivalry with the West on the line often!
It might be on the line for Nebraska, we can't even beat the half-assed teams you've had to this point on a regular basis. You'll have to wait for Kirk to be gone before this turns into anything remotely interesting.

Jake has always made it clear that academics were just as important as Iowa football. Certainly wouldn't fault him for this.

Many QB's get demoted to 2 out of 2 in the lineup and work for the same goal they've been working on their entire time at a school- advance the program.

Jake probably has his eye on the U of M medical school. Academics first. All this drama about how we did or did not fail him is probably overblown.

Jake has had some games where he played less than stellar. The Pitt and Iowa State games are probably the most disappointing. His ability to read defenses and audible into the correct plays, also missing wide open receivers down field and throwing to backs 5 yds. off the line of scrimmage pissed a lot of Hawk fans off. The second half of the Nebraska game, although not all his fault for the loss, he seem to lack the ability to make the big play when it counted. That was probably the game that the coaching staff decided to give CJ a chance to see what he could do in the bowl game. I think Jake had some flashes of being a pretty good QB but just not enough of them.

Originally posted by UncleChesterton:
Jake has always made it clear that academics were just as important as Iowa football. Certainly wouldn't fault him for this.

Many QB's get demoted to 2 out of 2 in the lineup and work for the same goal they've been working on their entire time at a school- advance the program.

Jake probably has his eye on the U of M medical school. Academics first. All this drama about how we did or did not fail him is probably overblown.
this is what i'm thinking too. i'd bet he lands at a school that has a higher ranked med school than UI.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT