ADVERTISEMENT

I didn't think Patrick looked well tonight

drh1150

HR MVP
Jan 11, 2003
Had to leave the floor in the 2nd half.

I think this is going to be a long road.
Is a redshirt year next year unthinkable?

Had to leave the floor in the 2nd half.

I think this is going to be a long road.
Is a redshirt year next year unthinkable?

I don't think it was that. It was off of a rough stretch where he got blocked (fouled) and then missed a free throw. He missed a defensive assignment and then the tv timeout came.

Reactions: GrayhoundHawk
Does anyone else wonder if pat just doesn’t really enjoy playing the game as much anymore but his pops keeps pushing him and would never let him quit?
Im starting to wonder if trying to meet dad's expectations is getting to him.

They did say before the bad foul he had 9 points in 13 minutes including Rutgers.

I wonder if that's a better role for him now; give a boost somewhere in a game, then remove himself and enjoy the rest?

I don't intend for this to sound insensitive, but one unfortunate angle - if this continues to be an issue - there's some kid not playing ball for Iowa because this scholarship is being claimed.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Im starting to wonder if trying to meet dad's expectations is getting to him.

They did say before the bad foul he had 9 points in 13 minutes including Rutgers.

I wonder if that's a better role for him now; give a boost somewhere in a game, then remove himself and enjoy the rest?
I don't see this, generally coaches are harder on their kids than others. I've not seen that out of Fran during games. It could certainly be different outside that but patrick has always had a longer leash than most.

Reactions: Ree4 and kzoohawk80
I don't see this, generally coaches are harder on their kids than others. I've not seen that out of Fran during games. It could certainly be different outside that but patrick has always had a longer leash than most.
If Fran were harder on his kids than other players, then PMAC would have been benched for defense/lack of inside toughness in past and Kris Murray wouldn't have spent 100% Freshman year and 50% as Sophmore year on the bench behind PMAC and CMAC.

PMAC is hard on himself and apparently getting nervous about not living up to his own/other's expectations. He will have to fight through it and hopefully does,. He obviously has a lot of talent, but Josh Dix and Sandfort and CMAC also have talent and look to be ahead of him in effectiveness when you look at both sides of the ball for right now.

Does anyone else wonder if pat just doesn’t really enjoy playing the game as much anymore but his pops keeps pushing him and would never let him quit?
I’m Thinking PMac might be served with a portal move, away from coaches son playing time w/ fans/teammates, francon, etc.etc

9 empty minutes last night
conversely Dix gets only 6 and 0 in 2h?

Are you people for real? Do you really think you know what's going on in a kid's head from watching a basketball game on TV? And some of you have this weird obsession with Fran playing his kids over other, "more deserving " players. I get it, you want Fran gone because he doesn't get to the Sweet Sixteen, but a little reality check is in order.

Just speculating but...

Looked to me he got pulled after the weak foul on Boo that resulted in a 3 pt play. Fran got after him a bit and Patrick couldn't handle it...went to the locker room.

Kids working through issues but that was a little weird.
Fran seemed to have a deeper shade of red when the camera caught the end of their discussion and PM turned and left.

Fran seemed to have a deeper shade of red when the camera caught the end of their discussion and PM turned and left.
Noticed that as well...

My brother was at the game and said words were exchanged when Fran pulled him.....Patrick went to the locker room shortly after.

Tough spot for Fran....he has to treat his son like the other players for team cohesion. But his son has some issues....tough spot for sure.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence that the team has been on a winning streak since his absence. Tonight was just the right amount of minutes for him. I've never understood why he plays so much. He seems like a nice kid.
He’s had games where he’s been really effective. He’s had plenty of others where he wasn’t. His defense and rebounding have never been great. It’s up to Fran to manage his minute’s correctly. I think his short absence was probably best for himself and the team. A smaller role without nearly as much pressure put on him seems like the right approach. And i will agree, and fully admit im the furthest from an expert, he did just seem a little…”off?” last night.

There sure are a lot of amateur psychologists out there - could it be he simply had to use the bathroom? Not like it’s never been done before.
Parents will know this.

kid does something wrong, parent screams at kid, kids then walks away from parent…
no, he did not have to pee.

parents in leadership roles with kids in their group, must not show favorites

this is tough for both, tougher for easy going kid
easier for a mentally tough kid like CMac

portal might be best for all parties

Parents will know this.

kid does something wrong, parent screams at kid, kids then walks away from parent…

I'm a parent and my kids have to use the bathroom. Usually right in the middle of trying to do something. Also I hope most parents don't identify with the screaming at kids part.

Parents will know this.

So Patrick got yelled at, and because he has mental health issues and is therefore not mentally tough, he went to the locker room? That's your take?

Parents will know this.

Did Patrick ever say his anxiety was tied to the game basketball? The cause of his anxiety may not have anything at all to do with the game itself, but factors outside, such as sleep. Ever try to function if you can't sleep? Now try playing the game where so many criticize his every action. His father yelling at him is way, way down the list of any potential problems. It's beyond ridiculous some of the accusations/assumptions that are being made. Nobody but his family knows and even then it can be tricky. The game is more than likely his "safe place."

P.S. - And I thought Fran never yelled at his kids? Now he's just a horrible father. Just fascinating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT