ADVERTISEMENT

I get pissed at fans constantly whining about the officiating...

jonesy5960

HR Legend
Sep 6, 2012
But man, the officiating in women’s basketball is absolutely brutal. I never paid attention to the sport before, but as much as the women have risen to the task, the officiating hasn’t and it needs to be addressed if the sport is going to continue to grow.

But man, the officiating in women’s basketball is absolutely brutal. I never paid attention to the sport before, but as much as the women have risen to the task, the officiating hasn’t and it needs to be addressed if the sport is going to continue to grow.

It irritates me too, but it is brutal!!!!!

Last couple of games I think have actually been quite good. If we can get a similarly good crew and not the DEI hires I'll be very happy (unless we lose, fvck 'em ;)).
I thought the crew that did lsu/ucla and Iowa/Colorado games was the best women’s crew I’ve seen all year. Legit good. Conversely, the crew that did the Iowa/WVU was about the worst.

It doesn't bother me at all. If they call it consistent (bad can be consistent) and don't blatantly favor one team I can live with it. It is almost impossible not to be bias when you are a fan, nearly every fan base thinks they are getting screwed by the officiating. So many posts about how the officials have it out for Iowa (but I think you only see that if you are an Iowa fan).

I can't control it, why should I get all worked up about it? I honestly believe that 99.999% of them are doing the best they can. They will miss calls, they will make bad calls, but they tend to even out over time.

If there is some grand conspiracy / game fixing / gambling issue, it will eventually come out. Work on that EQ, enjoy life, and all that crap.

Serenity Now Grasshopper for all of you who get way too worked up. (really old people might get the 'grasshopper' bit)

I had a "I get pissed about fans whining about fans" thread all set, but didn't pull the trigger. And I'm kinda pissed at myself for not doing that. So now, I get pissed about fans who think about creating threads about fans whining about fans, but don't.
The fact that I posted a thread about how bad the refs are makes me a self loathing fan who hates it when fans whine about the refs.

It doesn't bother me at all. If they call it consistent (bad can be consistent) and don't blatantly favor one team I can live with it. It is almost impossible not to be bias when you are a fan, nearly every fan base thinks they are getting screwed by the officiating. So many posts about how the officials have it out for Iowa (but I think you only see that if you are an Iowa fan).

I can't control it, why should I get all worked up about it? I honestly believe that 99.999% of them are doing the best they can. They will miss calls, they will make bad calls, but they tend to even out over time.

If there is some grand conspiracy / game fixing / gambling issue, it will eventually come out. Work on that EQ, enjoy life, and all that crap.

Serenity Now Grasshopper for all of you who get way too worked up. (really old people might get the 'grasshopper' bit)
Yeah. It's actually the conspiratorial oh woe is me victim fans that annoy me. On the other hand, generally bad officiating annoys me because I think it takes away from the game. I mean, c'mon....

78fb2219-83ba-4b2e-b81b-05031f53d1f3_text.gif

You should ask ISU fans what they think of officials. From what I can tell there team has never committed a penalty in any sport- EVER.

There is a reason teams they play call ISU fans the “boo birds”.

Reactions: cmhawks99
You should ask ISU fans what they think of officials. From what I can tell there team has never committed a penalty in any sport- EVER.

There is a reason teams they play call ISU fans the “boo birds”.

Don't be throwing any igneous from your transparent domicile

My biggest complaint with officiating is the failure to allow freedom of motion. Basketball was intended to be a no-contact sport, not a rugby match. When defenders are permitted to grab and hold multiple times on each trip down the floor it makes the game difficult to watch. The WVU game this year and the LSU game last year were two of the most poorly officiated games I can remember. The first OSU game this year was pretty bad as well.

I agree with this, it's just weird how you have to adjust the game to how the refs are calling fouls. Just like a pitcher adjusting to how an ump is calling balls and strikes. I would imagine that goes into a scouting report.

Reactions: WSC72
I don't know, but I have seen 4 times, just in Iowa game, where the opposing player fell on their but with the ball and no traveling was called. What are these officials looking at, because that is always a travel, then if rolling around. There was a tie up where the players took like 4 steps each and then the tie up called.

I agree with this, it's just weird how you have to adjust the game to how the refs are calling fouls. Just like a pitcher adjusting to how an ump is calling balls and strikes. I would imagine that goes into a scouting report.

Good point IA

Women's basketball refs are generally bad, but it seemed ok the last 2 Iowa games.

I try to give basketball referees the benefit of the doubt because so many foul calls are very subjective. Often the announcers doing the game don't even agree with each other. It shouldn't be a foul to simply touch the other player, and it should be a foul to grab them. But what about all the ones in between?

Hopefully we'll get to see a basketball game tonight vs, a parade to the FT line or a cage match.

Reactions: cmhawks99 and WSC72
I don’t junk it’s as bad as the people that post here think.

Women’s basketball is always going to be a little more “sloppy” and make officiating more difficult.

Lots of missed layups with contact after.

Women are not as athletic, they are not going to finish shots near or above the rim. Women also have smaller hands which leads to less ball control.

Also the disparity in strength from player to player IMO is greater in women’s game.

Reactions: TRE 12 and WSC72
I don’t junk it’s as bad as the people that post here think.

Women’s basketball is always going to be a little more “sloppy” and make officiating more difficult.

Lots of missed layups with contact after.

Women are not as athletic, they are not going to finish shots near or above the rim. Women also have smaller hands which leads to less ball control.

Also the disparity in strength from player to player IMO is greater in women’s game.
You just made a case as to why it should be easier to ref women’s games. Athletically, players are pretty tightly bunched around the mean. They see the same shit over and over and over. Should be on autopilot.

You just made a case as to why it should be easier to ref women’s games. Athletically, players are pretty tightly bunched around the mean. They see the same shit over and over and over. Should be on autopilot.
Women’s game is more sloppy. Sloppy games are not easier to ref. Ask refs that do junior high games, the stop calling a lot of stuff

No kidding and the game is much slower than the men’s. It’s actually easier to see things. They should be much cleaner officiating these things.

The problem with both BB teams at Iowa is we are not a strong, physical team. So we CAN'T adjust to try to bully and hack our way on defense. If BB was called the way it was intended as a free flowing no contact game, we would do really well most years.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT