ADVERTISEMENT

I guess Fran CAN coach defense

That is good stuff!

This makes me think about a kid like Riley T.......this kid could be playing on scholarship somewhere else (lower level) but wants to be an IOWA HAWKEYE. That level of sacrifice, that love for the Hawks is something that some of our fans should contemplate when they want to complain about team members that fail to meet their expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: unoHawkeye
I see your douchie comment, and raise you an even douchier comment.

I don't agree with the 8 yrs post either but the "go be a fan of an other team" because you disagree is childish garbage. You aren't the fan police.
GFY :)

Too bad he waited until this year, but as they say, better late. . .

Think the defense and free throw shooting are mutual benificiaries.

It's more fun to play D when you're hitting your FT and keep your opponent at Bay.

Playing good D also sets up instant O.

It’s more than desire and effort. Sure that’s part of it, but these guys are in a stance, closing out under control, disciplined in the zone, etc....it’s great to see. Once they get the stop, they’re blocking out and finishing the rebound. Like night and day from a year ago.

Think the defense and free throw shooting are mutual benificiaries.

It's more fun to play D when you're hitting your FT and keep your opponent at Bay.

Playing good D also sets up instant O.

And vice versa. Taking care of the basketball and the careless turnovers, limiting easy baskets on the other end helps. Teams are going to score, but make them earn it when they do.

That was a pretty impressive tournament performance against talented and athletic teams with some pretty good coaches.....in the end, it was a dominant performance. They controlled both games basically from start to finish.

There was a decrease in intensity in the second half of each game....I would imagine that it's tough to maintain that intensity when you are up 25 half way through the second half.
Fran cannot coach defense. How big of a sample size (years) do you need?

As others have stated it’s all about being aware of when you are the help side defender and helping the helper. I felt like the issue last year was rarely the result of help not being there but rather us getting beat by the extra pass because the other defenders didn’t recognize the double team and rotate.

Several times in the 2k tourney I saw Cook recognize his need to help the helper and hustle to the open guy. Man is that refreshing. When your best player is engaged in defense it sets the tone for everyone.

C Mac has brought an edge to this team at the guard position that we’ve been missing the last two year. Joe just seems to always be hustling, which is what he needs to do as a contributing freshman. If Joe starts to shine on offense this teams ceiling could be a top 5-7 in the big ten.

It’s great being excited about Iowa b-ball again. Fran has to be proud of his son. Guy balled out against some great competition this weekend.

People only change if they want to no matter what a coach or anyone else says. Somewhere along the line the players had enough of losing and came together as a team. The coach inspires the team part.

That is true that people will only change if they want to......so, as painful as last year was, these guys may have needed it to realize the importance of playing defense at the level required....maybe examples like TC being told by the Iowa coaches what he needs to do to improve his game but not really buying in until the NBA guys tell him the same thing?.....just guessing there's some credibility to this theory.

ADVERTISEMENT