ADVERTISEMENT

I guess now is a good time to tell my Mark Perry story...

LVCabChronicles

Scout Team
Feb 16, 2015
It was two days before UFC 200 was to commence and it was no surprise they decided to host their marquee event in their home town and fight capitol, Las Vegas. I was having a shitty night frankly until around 10PM when the doorman at Mandalay Bay blew his whistle, calling me up to the cab stand. As I approached the man standing there waiting for a taxi was immediately recognizable to me but I still had to do a double take to make sure I didn't confuse him for his brother. He climbed in and said, "take me to MGM please." I turned around and offered him my hand, "hey you're Nick Diaz, real pleasure having you in my cab sir!" He shook my hand and thanked me for not confusing him with his brother. "Do you know how many times people come up to me and say shit like, 'you're my favorite fighter' and then call me by my brothers name?" "I'll bet," I replied, "but I would never make that mistake. I've been watching you compete for a long time." "That's cool man, I appreciate that," he said.

I wasted no time. I told him I was from Bettendorf, certain he would know where that was, and how I knew the (current) Champion Robbie Lawler from HS. Of course I also had to tell him about the month that Lawler was training in Vegas and how he used to kick my ass, in NBA Live, before he slept on my couch every night. And of course I had to mention that I was there at Mandalay Bay the night he fought, and famously defeated, my friend in UFC 47. "That's cool man. Lawler's a good guy. Good fighter. Them Iowa boys train hard." "It's the wrestling," I said. "No doubt. You know," he added, "a lot of people are saying I should fight him again." "That would be one for the ages," I said.

All in all it was really cool to talk to Nick even if only for a few minutes. Despite what you might believe, he was a really sweet guy. And more importantly, a good tipper. The rest of my night was just fine after that. I don't get star struck, ever. But that was pretty cool. Little did I know what lay ahead...

Last edited:
...The following night I found myself at Mandalay Bay again. Still glowing from getting to chat it up with Nick Diaz. The whistle blew again and I pulled up to find a couple standing there. They got in and asked that I take them to MGM. "Sure thing" I said. On the way there it became clear that they were going to attend the Friday Night Fights UFC event at the Grand Garden on the eve of UFC200 to be held across the street at the new Arena. When I found out I had a couple of fight fans in my cab I decided to tell them about picking up Nick Diaz the previous night. "He was sitting right where you're sitting now," I made a point of mentioning. They seemed to enjoy the tale. Hell, everybody always enjoys a good cabbie story. Not long after I was finished telling them the guy said, "He should fight Robbie Lawler again." Isn't that something I thought. "Funny you say that, because we talked about that very thing," I said. And naturally I had to mention my days in Bettendorf in the land of Miletich and Lawler. "Lawler's a stud," he said. "I used to wrestle with him in Iowa City." And when I heard that I was immediately skeptical. My ears pinged back. "You wrestled with Lawler in Iowa City? With the Hawkeye Wrestling Club?" "Yeah, not for too long but I did for a bit." "You were in the Hawkeye wrestling club?" "That's right." "You wrestled for the Hawkeye's?" "That's right." "No freakin way man that's awesome! What are you up to these days?" I asked. "I'm coaching at Illinios." and that was when I took a long look in my rear view mirror. I mean, there have been lots of Hawks I've never heard of I'm sure. I don't follow it that closely. "You were a Hawkeye?" I repeated. "That's right," he said. "And now you're coaching at Illinois?" "That's right," he said with a chuckle. "I know somebody who fits that description," I said. "Oh yeah? Who's that?" he said. "Uh, Mark Perry?" and that was when his wife started laughing. "Yep, that's me." "You're Mark Perry?" "That's right." "2x National Champion, Mark Perry?" "That's right." Holy shit man", I said to no one in particular. "I've got ****ing Mark Perry in my cab right now." Nick Diaz who?

...As I said, I don't get star struck but this was other level stuff. I think they got a kick out of it too because he probably wasn't expecting some cab driver to know who he was. But I did, and it was an honor. So much so that while dropping them off I couldn't charge him. "National Champs ride for free, that's a rule," I told him. But I also made sure to give him my number and told him to feel free to call me after the fights were over and I would pick him up right here in this same spot. It's always a mad house trying to get a cab with 15K people walking out of the Grand Garden at the same time. "You've got no business waiting in a cab line Coach," I said. He politely dialed my number into his phone and said thanks. I think his wife was especially keen on accepting my offer.

I figured it was a 50/50 shot at best but sure enough as soon as the last fight was over he text me and I was close by as I had been following along on Twitter. 5min later I pulled up through a sea of people. Making sure to lock my doors the whole way in a dodging countless people trying to obtain my services. I was the only cab around. I probably could have gotten $100 from any one of those people, but I was here for special cargo. I managed to finally make it all the way in and sure enough there the two of them stood and they both were extremely grateful that they didn't have to deal with the mess.

They got in and I figured they'd be going back to Mandalay but instead his wife wanted to see if we could go to the nearest Walmart because she wanted to pick up some things. There isn't a Walmart particularly close to the Strip but they said that was fine and the next thing I know I'm taking Mark Perry to Walmart. I swear, you never know what's going to happen with this job...

I was touring Rome with my wife and the guide mentioned wrestling in the coliseum. I told the guy sitting next to me that I used to wrestle a bit. The man said, "oh really" then pulled his shades down and winked. Once I saw his eyes I realized it was Mark Perry. I said Caesar who?

...We talked wrestling the entire way there and when his wife said she would go into the store and he and I could hang out in the cab. Usually these rides are fleeting. The crap ones last too long and the great ones never last long enough. But this was very different. For the next hour, I kid you not, Mark Perry and I sat in my cab and talked about wrestling and MMA. I won't go into every detail but we went through it all. We even got into the Lee and Mejia situation. One thing I was dying to ask him was a thought I had the night Robbie Lawler defeated Johnny Hendrix for the World Championship. I recall that night thinking, 'you know who must have enjoyed that? Mark Perry'. That thought literally crossed my mind and here I was with the opportunity to ask the man himself. He said he was very happy for Lawler but he made a point of saying that he carried no ill will of Hendrix. I thought that was very classy. If there was ever a time to be frank about it, that woulda been it. But he was very cordial. One thing is for sure, however, he IS a talker. I would ask one question and he would carry on for a long time. But what am I going to do? Interrupt Mark Perry? Hell no. I don't even know what I'm talking about. It was all my pleasure.

His wife finally returned and I had them back to Mandalay in no time. I mentioned we could do it again tomorrow for the main event and sure enough they contacted me the following night for a ride to and from the fight. After that fight let out there must been 1k people standing in the cab line at Monte Carlo and not a cab in sight. I pulled up with my doors locked and the doorman and security guards were furious at me for just driving by and not picking any one up. I parked and stood out of my cab for a moment while I pulled my phone out to call him. A minute latter they emerged from the crowd and climbed into my backseat. Surely every person in line who witnessed said, "who the F are these people we've been waiting here forever?!" That's Mark Perry. 2 Time National Champ. And he won't be waiting in any cab lines as long as I'm around. - The End

Was hoping Master Perry would be the next action movie star but lately I haven't seen the scarf :-/
Now that he's rounded and grounded I'd still like to see him instead of Matt Damon as Jason Bourne or even Been Affleck as Batman. Ramblin'
Master P is just the kinda boom we need I couldn't be happier.
Go Hawks

Ah shiit I feel like I should delete my earlier post. But that was longest story ever told on HR.

That is one cool memory/experience to have!
Even though it was for UFC 200, which was a while back I found myself waiting for.. And then Mark Perry said he was going back to Iowa to coach and is bringing a slew of people with him to train with the HWC.

that was a long... BUT AWESOME READ... i was glad that it wasnt a total brush off type incident ...but honestly almost every wrestler i have ever met...no matter how famous...has been down to earth and easy to talk to. Even the guys with the extreme personalities have all shared the same path ...too much sweat...lots and lots of Resilite and that drive to get better. Seems like most of the time they enjoy talking wrestling and most of it is NOT about themselves. Thanks for the great read on a Friday.

One time I was at Cheetah's in Las Vegas...didn't see Mark Perry. I did see that lawyer from those commercials or maybe is was Kevin Costner. I had a few drinks...
latest

Bettendorf in the land of Miletich and Lawler.

Great Story! I remember my days in Bettendorf Iowa at Champions Gym! I just gotta add that "the land of Miletich and Lawler" really undersells the historic fight factory that was Miletich Fighting Systems. I think it should be "the land of Pat Miletich, Robbie Lawler, Jens Pulver, Matt Hughes, Jeremy Horn, Tim Sylvia, Barb Honchak, Nate Schroeder, Sam Hoger, Bart Palaszewski, Ben Rothwell, Brad Imes, Spencer Fisher, Josh Neer, Rory Markham, Mike Whitehead, Mike Ciesnolevicz, Drew McFedries, Corey Hill, Jason Black, Jesse Lennox, Laverne Clark, Sherman Pendergarst, Justin Eilers, LC Davis, Joe Pearson, and MANY more phenomenal athletes and fighters!

Great story. When it started I thought it was going to suck but it really came around.

FWIW, you sound as "interesting" as the typical Vegas cabby. The wife and I are in Vegas now. We had a real crazy one yesterday. She was a little concerned but I told her that it is par for the course in Vegas. No offense. ;-)

Seems like most of the time they enjoy talking wrestling and most of it is NOT about themselves.

Was working at a wrestling event a few years back. One of my responsibilities was to provide transportation for Mr. Lee Kemp throughout the weekend. Started thinking about what questions I would like to ask him while driving. Turns out I barely got to ask any. He was more interested in asking me where I wrestled, what I do now, and how wrestling shaped my life. Definitely an example of a great wrestler talking wresting, mostly NOT about themselves!

Great Story! I remember my days in Bettendorf Iowa at Champions Gym! I just gotta add that "the land of Miletich and Lawler" really undersells the historic fight factory that was Miletich Fighting Systems. I think it should be "the land of Pat Miletich, Robbie Lawler, Jens Pulver, Matt Hughes, Jeremy Horn, Tim Sylvia, Barb Honchak, Nate Schroeder, Sam Hoger, Bart Palaszewski, Ben Rothwell, Brad Imes, Spencer Fisher, Josh Neer, Rory Markham, Mike Whitehead, Mike Ciesnolevicz, Drew McFedries, Corey Hill, Jason Black, Jesse Lennox, Laverne Clark, Sherman Pendergarst, Justin Eilers, LC Davis, Joe Pearson, and MANY more phenomenal athletes and fighters!

My guy Ryan McGivern is certainly a name that belongs on this list...

One of the best posts I've read on here. Great story, really well told. I even liked the first chapter on Nick Diaz!

Reactions: texhawkeye
100% great post, so glad I clicked on it.

I lived in Vegas for a while and can verify that crazy shit happens in cabs down there. One time I flagged down a cab outside the old Hacienda, which is now gone. As I got in the passengers side rear door, someone else was getting in the drivers side rear door, I sat down, looked over and sure enough it was Jerry "The King" Lawler. He asks if he can share the cab and I said "Sure". As we drive I ask him about Professional Wrestling. He talked for about 5 mins straight about how great the fans are and the thrill of putting on a show. He then tells me the real wrestling is still being done in college, which surprises me. I tell him I am Iowa fan and he says he loves the Hawks, Dan Gable, Tom Brands and the he says his favorite wrestler is Mark Perry. Wow, what a cool guy! I ask him if he is related to Robbie Lawler and he said...Robbie Lawler who?

Here's the twist, Johnny Hendrix was driving the cab.

Last edited:
I remember hanging out in DSM at Toad Holler after a MMA event with Burich, Baudler and Dan the Beast Severn, the place came to a halt when the door opened and you will never guess who walked in.....yep Mark Perry....we high fived about New Orleans and promised only to tell that story anonymously on the internet...

Reactions: doctor1
Anyone else want to hear more Vegas cab stories? Great job LV. thanks for sharing

I used to have a blog, well still do I guess, and there are about 50 of my best up on there. I haven't updated any new ones in a few years but if you haven't read any it's all new to you. You can also follow along on Twitter which is were I spend most of my time these days. Thanks for reading everyone.

http://lvcabbiechronicles.blogspot.com/

https://twitter.com/LVCabChronicles

I used to have a blog, well still do I guess, and there are about 50 of my best up on there. I haven't updated any new ones in a few years but if you haven't read any it's all new to you. You can also follow along on Twitter which is were I spend most of my time these days. Thanks for reading everyone.

http://lvcabbiechronicles.blogspot.com/

https://twitter.com/LVCabChronicles

So, do you still have Perry's number? Any chance you can get us a scoop on what's really going on with him being spotted in the HWC gear? I mean, he'll play every one else off, but he's gotta shoot you straight.

So, do you still have Perry's number? Any chance you can get us a scoop on what's really going on with him being spotted in the HWC gear? I mean, he'll play every one else off, but he's gotta shoot you straight.

Yes I do, but I don't think it would be appropriate for me to ask.

by the way LVCabChronicles twitter is OUTSTANDING... just followed and already glad I did.

LVCabChronicles: You know, IAChief32, I met Mark Perry once.
IAChief32: You lyin'. You ain't never met Mark Perry .
LVCabChronicles: Yeah, I met Mark Perry in 1962 in Memphis, Tennessee. I walkin' down the street minding my own business, just walking on. Feelin' good. I walk around the corner, a man walk up, hit me in my chest, right. I fall on the ground, right. And I look up and it's Mark Perry . I said 'Mr. Perry?' and he said 'Ooops, I thought you were some body else.'
IAChief32: Oh man, you lyin'. You ain't never met Mark Perry.
LVCabChronicles: Knocked the wind out of me, yes he did.
IAChief32: No, he didn't.
LVCabChronicles: Yes, he did.
IAChief32: No, he did not!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT