ADVERTISEMENT

I guess this woman REALLY likes chicken wings!

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
CHICAGO - Bond was set at $150,000 Thursday for a Dolton woman accused of stealing over $1.5 million of food - primarily chicken wings - while working as a consultant for a school district in south suburban Cook County, according to court documents.

Vera Lidell, 66, began working as the Director of Food Services for Harvey School District 152 in July 2020, according to a proffer from her bond hearing.

Between July 2020 and February 2020, prosecutors said Liddell placed hundreds of unauthorized orders for food items, including 11,000 cases of chicken wings, through the school district's main supplier, Gordon Food Service. The orders were placed separately from the district's legitimate orders, prosecutors said.

"The massive fraud began at the height of COVID during a time when students were not allowed to be physically present in school. Even though the children were learning remotely, the school district continued to provide meals for the students that their families could pick up," the proffer said.

Believing the orders were genuine, Gordon Food Service billed Harvey School District 152, which then paid for the food items, according to court records. Lidell would then allegedly use one of the school district's cargo vans to pick up and transport the stolen food.

"The food was never brought to the school or provided to the students," the proffer said.

A routine mid-year audit conducted by the district's business manager in January 2022 showed the food service department had exceeded its annual budget by over $300,000 despite only being halfway through the school year, prosecutors said. Prosecutors said Lidell was the only person responsible for placing food orders on behalf of the district.

"Upon closer review, she discovered individual invoices signed by Liddell for massive quantities of chicken wings, an item that was never served to students because they contain bones," the proffer said.

Employees of Gordon Food Service said they were all familiar with Lidell, "due to the massive amount of chicken wings she would purchase," and surveillance video of the facility showed she would often arrive prior to the store opening to pick up the orders.

Lidell was charged with felony theft and continuing a financial crimes enterprise, prosecutors said.

She's currently being held at the Cook County Jail and is due to appear in court again on Feb. 22.

giphy.gif

CHICAGO - Bond was set at $150,000 Thursday for a Dolton woman accused of stealing over $1.5 million of food - primarily chicken wings - while working as a consultant for a school district in south suburban Cook County, according to court documents.

Vera Lidell, 66, began working as the Director of Food Services for Harvey School District 152 in July 2020, according to a proffer from her bond hearing.

Between July 2020 and February 2020, prosecutors said Liddell placed hundreds of unauthorized orders for food items, including 11,000 cases of chicken wings, through the school district's main supplier, Gordon Food Service. The orders were placed separately from the district's legitimate orders, prosecutors said.

"The massive fraud began at the height of COVID during a time when students were not allowed to be physically present in school. Even though the children were learning remotely, the school district continued to provide meals for the students that their families could pick up," the proffer said.

Believing the orders were genuine, Gordon Food Service billed Harvey School District 152, which then paid for the food items, according to court records. Lidell would then allegedly use one of the school district's cargo vans to pick up and transport the stolen food.

"The food was never brought to the school or provided to the students," the proffer said.

A routine mid-year audit conducted by the district's business manager in January 2022 showed the food service department had exceeded its annual budget by over $300,000 despite only being halfway through the school year, prosecutors said. Prosecutors said Lidell was the only person responsible for placing food orders on behalf of the district.

"Upon closer review, she discovered individual invoices signed by Liddell for massive quantities of chicken wings, an item that was never served to students because they contain bones," the proffer said.

Employees of Gordon Food Service said they were all familiar with Lidell, "due to the massive amount of chicken wings she would purchase," and surveillance video of the facility showed she would often arrive prior to the store opening to pick up the orders.

Lidell was charged with felony theft and continuing a financial crimes enterprise, prosecutors said.

She's currently being held at the Cook County Jail and is due to appear in court again on Feb. 22.

Why am I not surprised?

Last edited:
When I was a kid, my dad got a ton of our steaks and chicken from "Van the Meat Man."

He was an older black dude from Chicago who drove up with an unmarked white van with a bunch of coolers in the back filled with filets, t-bones, whole chickens, half-chickens, wings. All priced at about 1/2 of what a grocery store would charge.

I have ZERO doubt that all the merchandise "fell off a truck." But it was high quality meat!

I am betting this lady had a "van man" selling those wings. Not a bad little side venture if you can avoid getting busted. She needed to be smarter.

When I was a kid, my dad got a ton of our steaks and chicken from "Van the Meat Man."

He was an older black dude from Chicago who drove up with an unmarked white van with a bunch of coolers in the back filled with filets, t-bones, whole chickens, half-chickens, wings. All priced at about 1/2 of what a grocery store would charge.

I have ZERO doubt that all the merchandise "fell off a truck." But it was high quality meat!

I am betting this lady had a "van man" selling those wings. Not a bad little side venture if you can avoid getting busted. She needed to be smarter.
I would bet she only had 2-3 businesses as customers max. Hell, it's a valuable commodity to most places and it was right in the middle of the "wing shortage".

There’s a half dozen or a dozen south suburban cook county villages/cities that put Chicago to shame for corruption

Reactions: torbee
Dolton woman accused of stealing over $1.5 million of food - primarily chicken wings -
Let’s do some math ….Let’s assume it was $1M in chicken wings, not the whole $1.5M since it says primarily on chicken wings. A 10# bag of chicken wings is $25 at Costco so $2.50/pound. Assume some economies of scale and inflation over this time and we’re looking at $2/pound on the high end. That’s still 500K pounds of chicken wings over the course of 1 1/2 years I believe or about 1K pounds per day.

Let’s do some math ….Let’s assume it was $1M in chicken wings, not the whole $1.5M since it says primarily on chicken wings. A 10# bag of chicken wings is $25 at Costco so $2.50/pound. Assume some economies of scale and inflation over this time and we’re looking at $2/pound on the high end. That’s still 500K pounds of chicken wings over the course of 1 1/2 years I believe or about 1K pounds per day.

It says she ordered 11,000 cases of chicken wings. A case weighs 40 pounds. At $2 a pound, that's $880,000.

Not knowing when to stop is how these people always get caught,... do a thousand cases of wings or so, and then get out quick and clean...

So you're dad is the reason Golick's is expensive?

She might like wings but not as much as the girl that was stuffing them up her Pink Canoe before serving them.

AlarmedRecklessGermanspaniel-max-1mb.gif

My father was involved with a similar racket with Wilson Foods here in CR. He knew a guy who worked there that every month would send out "The Ham Signal" where there'd be a couple pickup loads of hams available. The guy had roughly 20 or so buyers that would get the call, and arrangements would be made.

I remember many many times my dad, mom and I meeting this guy somewhere in the middle of the night and we'd haul off 100 or so hams into the family truckster. Then my dad would sell them to coworkers.

At one point we had a huge deep freeze completely full of hams. I ate a LOT of ham as a kid.

The school doesn't serve wings...at least try to buy something the kids eat. Yeesh

The real question is if she got ranch or bleu cheese for those wings?

If the former, fry her to hell & back and then fry her again.

If the latter, 1 year community service plus restitution.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT