ADVERTISEMENT

I have two fears going into post season.

HoundedHawk

HR Legend
Oct 2, 2001
First, flu is everywhere up here in Minnesota. A lot of my family has influenza A and I'm usually the last to get this stuff. Everyone is surviving it. I hope I don't miss nationals or worse.

Second, if COVID-19 erupts with large scale infections we are going to lose possibly 1 out of every 30 Americans that gets it. That's very scary. Of lesser importance, of course, the government may actually shut down large venues of people like the NCAAs. Thus, I would also miss nationals.

This will be my 26th in a row, Lord willing.

Last edited:
Yes, the mortality rate of over 3% is hopefully too high.
Internationally the mortality rate is below 3% for diagnosed cases. We have much better medical care than every nation with high infection rates. It would be reasonable to assume that our mortality rate would be closer to 1.5%.

That is for diagnosed cases. About 81% of the people infected with the virus don’t even know it and thus aren’t diagnosed. This makes the actual mortality rate internationally around .6%

This is a concerning virus, but nothing to panic about....yet

img_2923.jpg

Austin Powers: There are only two things in this world that scare me and one is nuclear war.

Basil: What's the other?

Austin Powers: Carnies. Circus folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands.

Internationally the mortality rate is below 3% for diagnosed cases. We have much better medical care than every nation with high infection rates. It would be reasonable to assume that our mortality rate would be closer to 1.5%.

That is for diagnosed cases. About 81% of the people infected with the virus don’t even know it and thus aren’t diagnosed. This makes the actual mortality rate internationally around .6%

Agreed. I'm far more concerned about the Olympics than NCAA's.

I agree that the mortality rate is probably much less than 3% due to most infected people not getting diagnosed. While the USA has good healthcare, there are many countries with better healthcare systems and that includes many of the countries with high infection rates.

img_2923.jpg

Austin Powers: There are only two things in this world that scare me and one is nuclear war.

Basil: What's the other?

Austin Powers: Carnies. Circus folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands.

Austin Powers dad: “There’s only 2 things I Hate. People who are intolerant of other people’s races, and the Dutch.”

As of yesterday, the World Health Organization updated the mortality rate to 3.4%. But I agree that the large number of undiagnosed yet healthy individuals makes that number less relevant.

Exactly

I agree that the mortality rate is probably much less than 3% due to most infected people not getting diagnosed. While the USA has good healthcare, there are many countries with better healthcare systems and that includes many of the countries with high infection rates.
There are certainly many countries with better overall healthcare, but if you take mental health out of the equation most studies would have the US ranked ahead of almost all countries with high infection rates. Italy and Japan would be comparable, but the rest would fall well below our healthcare standards.

There are certainly many countries with better overall healthcare, but if you take mental health out of the equation most studies would have the US ranked ahead of almost all countries with high infection rates. Italy and Japan would be comparable, but the rest would fall well below our healthcare standards.
Interesting. I didn't account for mental health as part of the equation. Can you provide a link to any of the studies you reference?

Mortality rate ranges from .02% for children up to 14% for people over 75/80.

The chances of it being at epidemic levels in the USA are very low. It is not as easily transmitted as flu A or B.

it is the right thing to take reasonable precautions but to fear it is here and going to get us is too much.

so far the reported cases, Florida and a couple others, are actually “Precautionary”. They did not test positive at this point but “conditions are similar so patients being managed as if positive”

I am not saying it is a non issue. Just saying we’re are not at “Outbreak” level.

Reactions: HipPawk
First, flu is everywhere up here in Minnesota. A lot of my family has influenza A and I'm usually the last to get this stuff. Everyone is surviving it. I hope I don't miss nationals or worse.

Second, if COVID-19 erupts with large scale infections we are going to lose possibly 1 out of every 30 Americans that gets it. That's very scary. Of lesser importance, of course, the government may actually shut down large venues of people like the NCAAs. Thus, I would also miss nationals.

To lift a comment I read today; more people have died in the US to date trying to testify against Hillary then of COVID -19. You'll make your 26th, have fun.

To lift a comment I read today; more people have died in the US to date trying to testify against Hillary then of COVID -19. You'll make your 26th, have fun.
Saw that too. Laughed my ass off.

As of right now the U.S. death rate is higher than the global death rate.

Still a small sample size and if I'm not mistaken the people in the U.S. who have tested positive are disproportionately older than the global average.

As of right now 11 deaths and ~130 diagnosed.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
As of right now the U.S. death rate is higher than the global death rate.

Still a small sample size and if I'm not mistaken the people in the U.S. who have tested positive are disproportionately older than the global average.

As of right now 11 deaths and ~130 diagnosed.

depending on where you read, only 2 deaths are confirmed cor19 and that is sketchy. Travelers from Asia.

depending on where you read, only 2 deaths are confirmed cor19 and that is sketchy. Travelers from Asia.

But they died in u.s. hospitals. I thought the point was that the u.s. death rate would be lower because we have better healthcare. But the data does not show that to be true at this point.

Then again the data is definitely not perfect right now.

And what's your source on only 2 confirmed ? Haven't seen that anywhere.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes

The crud(sinus and upper respiratory) is a real problem out west. Becoming more concerned each day about canceled athletic events. I see today that the University of Chicago canceled their remaining basketball games. If New York and New Jersey start showing increased cases of the virus, one has to wonder about the Big Tens at Rutgers. Go Hawks!!!

Reactions: HoundedHawk
But they died in u.s. hospitals. I thought the point was that the u.s. death rate would be lower because we have better healthcare. But the data does not show that to be true at this point.

I work in healthcare. Part of my job is Infection/epidemiology.

that does not make me an expert on this or that I get all the info so not saying I am the authority on it. Just sharing what I have been told by smarter people in that world and/or read in CDC memos.

Reactions: HipPawk and dhm az

and dying in a US hospital does not really mean much. Depends on how far along the infection was when they got there. Also consider most of the people under the pro caution are either from Asia or just returned from there. I say most because I don’t have specifics on each.

Deaths in the US all have been older people with medical problems. It’s up to 11 right now.

The best news about this whole virus is no children under the age of 9 have died. Death rates for ages 50 and below are all under .5%.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bu...nts-low-disease-expert-explain-why-2020-2?amp

And...if things progress and my statements prove inaccurate, I will take the hit.
Having said that, if the concern and possible panic from the public continues to raise, even if the rate of the disease does not, they will shut stuff down just to quiet the noise.
I was told yesterday, reasonable precautions, wash your hands and don’t assume every illness is cor19.
Our nutrition, healthcare and overall health as a first world nation makes us less likely to have a negative event. Especially if you have not traveled or around people who have recently returned.

Haven’t there been like 5 alone at the nursing home in Washington? (although the fact that it’s a nursing home doesn’t seem to be getting a ton of press).

Also important to consider that while the quality of care is good in the US, we also have a very high percentage of the population (relative to the rest of the developed world) that do not go to the doctor, either because they don't have insurance, can't afford to use the insurance they do have, or can't take time off work. These people are also more likely to be service workers and have high rates of interaction with other people at work.

We forget that the chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Hopefully, we can figure out a way to make getting tested and treated for this cheap (ideally free). We've already seen a few stories about insurance companies denying claims for testing and quarantines, leaving people on the hook for thousands of dollars even if they test negative. That will only further discourage people from getting tested, increasing the likelihood of this spreading.

Reactions: artradley

Please don't tell the people in Washington state how good our medical care is...so far 10 dead. According to the site below: "As of Wednesday, there are 31 confirmed cases of coronavirus in King County, including nine deaths, and eight cases in Snohomish County, including one death."

That rate looks a tad higher than 3%...just sayin. That said, many of them were older adults (nursing home), but still not very inspiring numbers. Poor Chinese sure missed the boat on this one...

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/de...-washington-state/XIDPHMLVOJAAREQ5YCL75367PU/

Yep, life sure is precious. Two nights ago an EF-3 tornado ran through East Nashville and continued along I-40 until it beat the shit out of 4 counties and killed at least 25 people (still about 50 unaccounted for as of sundown today). It hit around 1:00 AM with no warning...victims didn't know what hit them until it was too late to do anything. Back to the situation at hand, regardless of what happens with NCAAs and beyond, this sure has been a hell of a season for our boys...what a grreat team and what an honor being able to watch this team perform!! :)

I see on Fox-28 that the NCAA is thinking of playing b-ball games without fans (assume the same for wrestling) and that the olympics might be delayed. Haven't seen this elsehwere but neither would surprise me at this point.

Reactions: el dub
Nationals are 2 weeks away. No reason to think it will spread that fast especially when the teams are not from areas with a tiny problem of infections.
The virus will go dormant when the tempatures rise just like the flu. Olympics are during the summer.

ADVERTISEMENT