ADVERTISEMENT

I hope SP blows the doors out this season

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
He’s such a likable guy… he’s been through some hard knocks in his career and I hope he has a banner year- I understand winning the nicest contest doesn’t win you games however this dude is a full fledge Hawkeye at heart and it couldn’t happen to a better person - I hope he goes off for 6,000 yards and 30 td’s along with 39 rushing td’s -

Dood interview on this YouTube channel

He’s such a likable guy… he’s been through some hard knocks in his career and I hope he has a banner year- I understand winning the nicest contest doesn’t win you games however this dude is a full fledge Hawkeye at heart and it couldn’t happen to a better person - I hope he goes off for 6,000 yards and 30 td’s along with 39 rushing td’s -
at the 3000 yard or 20 TD mark (whichever occurs first) people will start to suffer heart attacks. at first it will only be the haters (ie undercover agents posing as iowa fans) but very soon i worry genuine iowa fans will also begin to succumb albeit with a smile on their faces. By the 6000 yard mark the Iowa fanbase might have ceased to exist.

Great kid, little doubt about that. Imagine being 22 years old and dealing with the kind of heat he gets. Sure it comes with the position, but that's a lot to handle. Most of us at 22 would have folded up like bad origami.

at the 3000 yard or 20 TD mark (whichever occurs first) people will start to suffer heart attacks. at first it will only be the haters (ie undercover agents posing as iowa fans) but very soon i worry genuine iowa fans will also begin to succumb albeit with a smile on their faces. By the 6000 yard mark the Iowa fanbase might have ceased to exist.
F’ing classic post lmfao well done!

I hope He produces because I want Iowa to win and for that same reason if He is the same Guy as last Year I hope KF pulls Him faster than Doc Holiday. dropped Johnny Ringo . It always comes back to winning.
I agree with all of this. I've been highly critical of Petras, but he's the guy out of the gate, and if he plays well, Iowa will win a lot of games, so I wish him nothing but the best. But, now that KF has an experienced QB behind him who has won games, I'd have to think that SP will have a much shorter leash this season compared to the past. The absolute worst thing that could happen for Iowa this year is for SP to struggle, resulting in losses, and KF continuing to stick with him.

And....

Thinking he is not a very good qb or wanting to give someone else a chance does not mean that person wants Petras to fail. If Petras fails, the Hawks fail. No fan wants that.
That's right.

I re-watched a couple 2021 games over the weekend and Petras looks even worse then I remember, every kind of bad pass imaginable including a shit load of passes thown well out of bounds (many when he had room to run for at least a short gain). Its just depressing to think about and I blame myself for doing it.

Still, I hope like hell something has changed over the summer because I know he is going to be under center again. I'll be the skeptic at a church service when tthe offense takes the field vs. SDSU hoping to see the improvement but keeping the bottle by my side just like last year.

I think it’s me wanting him to do so well that makes it so hard to watch when he doesn’t.

Ill cheer hard for any individual who puts the work in every day and gets the honor of wearing the black and gold. Spencer is by all accounts a great guy and has loads of potential at QB.

Id love to see him have an amazing season.

Dood interview on this YouTube channel

Dont want him to fail. But the dude wouldn't start at UNI. He passes for 1800 yards last year. good lord ughh

Last edited:
And develops some better accuracy and better decision making. Once he gets this down I think he will be all big 10
Well, heck, how 'bout we add his pocket presence increasing 10 fold and he develops Elway-level elusiveness. Then he'd be an All-American.

I watched Aiden McConnell a bunch last year. When you give him time to throw and a clean pocket...he will destroy you. In the games he played well...he was allowed to sit back there, his OL gave him time to step into throws in perfect rhythm (see Iowa game). Then I watched Aiden play against a team that could get after you, Wisconsin. Wisconsin made him look like Spencer Petras. Now, McConnell was able to get the ball to his checkdowns more often...but he threw 3 interceptions and looked terrible (frantic) in the pocket.

Let's see if we put five guys in front of Petras who can keep a pocket clean for 3-4 seconds. If so, it's going to be interesting to see what Petras can do. Last year...I don't remember any games where we gave Petras a clean pocket (CONSISTENTLY) for the majority of a game. Not one.

Last edited:
I think I read he completed 57% of his passes last year. I hope the guy looks like Joe Montana this year but, I've seen his completions way to high, or way to low, or way to behind, etc. for the receiver to do anything with the ball after he catches it. Do they keep track of yards after catch? Just asking because I don't know.

Well, heck, how 'bout we add his pocket presence increasing 10 fold and he develops Elway-level elusiveness. Then he'd be an All-American.
I thought about that. But, everyone seems to think the oline needs to give him 10 seconds to throw the ball so I didn’t think he needed to improve his pocket presence with that type of line play. If the line doesn’t live up to the ridiculous expectations then yeah hopefully he has improved in that regard as well

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
Seems like a great dude but has been a mediocre to poor BIG10 QB. He has one year to change that and needs to start with accuracy. Misses a lot of open open throws that are there to be had.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
I hope He produces because I want Iowa to win and for that same reason if He is the same Guy as last Year I hope KF pulls Him faster than Doc Holiday. dropped Johnny Ringo . It always comes back to winning.
I'm your Huckleberry,,,, ;) But, "your NO daisy"......

I thought about that. But, everyone seems to think the oline needs to give him 10 seconds to throw the ball so I didn’t think he needed to improve his pocket presence with that type of line play. If the line doesn’t live up to the ridiculous expectations then yeah hopefully he has improved in that regard as well
He hasn't had 3 seconds.

I'm your Huckleberry,,,, ;) But, "your NO daisy"......
The actual line is "I'll be your huckle bearer." Apparently a "huckle" is a 19th century word for the handle on a casket. Had that wrong for 20 years. Either way one of the greatest movie lines ever, in 3 hours of almost constantly fun dialogue. Tombstone should be watched at least once a month.

Don’t get why we don’t have MONSTER LINES. I looked at some of those guys on Saturday and shook my head, definitely didn’t look the part. I would think we would ha 2-3 O-Lineman walk on each year and eventually contribute based on Kirks reputation.
Combine that with 2- studs each year and we would be set.
Just seems like we have 5-6 guys that look the part and a bunch that don’t even come close.

It’s not BF or Kirk that is holding back SP- It our line play.

Since KF has chosen him as his guy, and will likely play him regardless, of course I want to see him make that monumental jump in performance and be an all B1G QB.
Unfortunately, wanting him to perform at a high level and him actually performing at a high level aren't the same thing.
My more realistic, possibly attainable level of performance improvement, goal is that he's better enough from last year that he completes a couple more passes per game, throws for a few more TDs and one or two less INTs on the season and scrambles or extends a play somehow for a positive gain a handful of times over the course of the year.
I'm placing a bit more hope on the offense having a more effective running game as the means that they pull themselves out of the abyss of last years dreadful showing by the offense.

Nobody on this board wants him to fail.
I don't know if that is a true statement. Many posters here want the 2nd or 3rd string QB to start.
There have been some pretty harsh statements made about Spence. A lot of his struggles has not totally been his fault.
Me not being one of them.

Reactions: Ree4 and F5n5
I don't know if that is a true statement. Many posters here want the 2nd or 3rd string QB to start.
There have been some pretty harsh statements made about Spence.
Someone else posted it already - Being heavily critical of SP or wanting to see a different QB start is not the same as wanting to see SP fail. This entire board would be over the moon if he suddenly became Drew Tate '04. What Iowa fans don't want to see is KF letting SP go down with the ship. There is absolutely no advantage to the team to keep SP in there if he is struggling and losing games.

Don’t get why we don’t have MONSTER LINES. I looked at some of those guys on Saturday and shook my head, definitely didn’t look the part. I would think we would ha 2-3 O-Lineman walk on each year and eventually contribute based on Kirks reputation.
Combine that with 2- studs each year and we would be set.
Just seems like we have 5-6 guys that look the part and a bunch that don’t even come close.

It’s not BF or Kirk that is holding back SP- It our line play.
I think there is now a stable of young talent on the OL. Think about it...there are several reshirt sophs who are going to play. Richmond, Colby, Elsbury, Dunker, Myslinski, Jones. Then throw in Volk, Griffin, etc. The other thing that is encouraging is that these guys are BIG. Richmond mentioned he's 315 now...Colby, Dunker, Elsbury, and Volk are all 310 or so.

I think we are going to be good on the OL by the time Michigan gets to town. We should have the rotation settled and going with 5 or 6 by then. It will be really interesting to see what happens at right tackle. I think it will be Plumb to start...but I don't think you have to live with any issues as there are guys that are ready to test their metal in a game.

In the next couple of years, with Proctor...our offensive line is going to be deep, massive, athletic, and punishing.

Reactions: F5n5
ADVERTISEMENT