ADVERTISEMENT

I hope SP blows the doors out this season

part of that "sample size" includes Petras being injured half way through the season in 2021... and limited in 2020...
even being limited in 2020, Spencer Petras had the 2nd best Offense in the Big Ten.. and led the Hawkeyes to 12 straight wins from 2020 - 2021

I don't think you all are being fair

you all want to be critical, thats fine.. but if you don't admit the good things he's done... you're not being honest
I keep seeing this thread title and keep wondering, "What Hawk fan doesn't want that?" It's like starting a thread "I hope the Hawks win the B1G!"

And I wonder the same thing about your "if you don't admit the good things he's done . . . you're not being honest." Of course, he's done some good things, or he wouldn't be playing at all. But the fact is, so far, he's a below average B1G QB. Many times we won in spite of him, not because of him.

And I don't know exactly why, but I'm expecting better things out of him this year. I think it's because some of the mistakes are so inane, there's just no way they can continue.

Reactions: BBHawk
I keep seeing this thread title and keep wondering, "What Hawk fan doesn't want that?" It's like starting a thread "I hope the Hawks win the B1G!"

And I wonder the same thing about your "if you don't admit the good things he's done . . . you're not being honest." Of course, he's done some good things, or he wouldn't be playing at all. But the fact is, so far, he's a below average B1G QB. Many times we won in spite of him, not because of him.

And I don't know exactly why, but I'm expecting better things out of him this year. I think it's because some of the mistakes are so inane, there's just no way they can continue.
we don't win a game, nor lose a game, because of a single person... its a team sport.
games are won and lost because of the team.. not because of an individual.

every quarterback that has ever played...makes mistakes.
you're gonna have to get used to that.

its not fair... nor is it honest... to imply only Spencer Petras makes mistakes.

He did? What about the rest of the team bro? I didn’t know Spencer played 1 on 11 vs other teams?
Well we had to continually hear from Petras defenders about how he won 12 straight games or whatever the stat was (even though we knew that they won despite him). So if he gets credit for the wins then he has to take credit for the bad losses and offensive performances as well. Can't have it both ways.

at the 3000 yard or 20 TD mark (whichever occurs first) people will start to suffer heart attacks. at first it will only be the haters (ie undercover agents posing as iowa fans) but very soon i worry genuine iowa fans will also begin to succumb albeit with a smile on their faces. By the 6000 yard mark the Iowa fanbase might have ceased to exist.
It won't be the fans with the heart issues. Try KF!

He has not been good a lot of the time, not sure what you've been watching...or smoking😮
I also hope for tremendous success for the entire team, Spencer as well.

Iowa football has always been mistake-free football. I don’t see that changing. As a matter of strong opinion, I see us regressing a bit to even more conservative playcalling. Execution will be at a premium, and I think we’re equipped to do just that.

Easy throws. Run the ball. Stout defense. The solution is in the scheme and when you do what you do. Throw on first down. Throw to the RBs. Quick outs. Bubble screens. Get the ball out fast. Throw downfield for show to keep the defense honest.

Personnel-wise, we’re pretty good. Get tricky 2, maybe 3 well placed times. Early Ferentz football.

No one wants to hear this, but the formula has worked for years.

I approved this message.

yes, its an insult?
so you think its fair to insult the quarterback of the team you pretend to root for?
I’m saying he hasn’t been a very good quarterback. I don’t think he has LED them to a single victory during his time. He’s in there managing games and doing so poorly. I hope for better play from him this year as well because it would be nice to see what Iowa could do with a good qb

I’m saying he hasn’t been a very good quarterback. I don’t think he has LED them to a single victory during his time. He’s in there managing games and doing so poorly. I hope for better play from him this year as well because it would be nice to see what Iowa could do with a good qb
He led them to the win over Penn State before he was injured for the year. Had some nice games in 2020, too, in case you forget. Funny how some forget the good and focus on the bad.

we don't win a game, nor lose a game, because of a single person... its a team sport.
games are won and lost because of the team.. not because of an individual.

every quarterback that has ever played...makes mistakes.
you're gonna have to get used to that.

its not fair... nor is it honest... to imply only Spencer Petras makes mistakes.
I don't need to get used to knowing all QBs make mistakes. I've known it for over 50 years.

And who on God's earth is implying only Spencer makes mistakes, or games are won by individuals, not teams?

Did you accidently quote my post but were thinking of another one?

All you posted has virtually nothing to do with what I said.

Petras has limitations that make him look worse than he is. If he could run, even get back to line of scrimmage run, he'd be much more accepted and much better for our offense. Don't blame the kid, blame KF who recruited him, signed him, started him for 3 years. All that said, i think he will be better this season if for no other reason the o-line has to be better.
Some of Petras' limitations that made him look worse than he was were a very weak oline and receiving corp. When the players around you can't block your opponents or catch the ball when you do get it to them, it has a tendency to magnify your own problems. The resurgence of Iowa's offense starts with a viable oline. Then Petras and the receivers just need to be average for the Hawks to have a good season.

I don't need to get used to knowing all QBs make mistakes. I've known it for over 50 years.

And who on God's earth is implying only Spencer makes mistakes, or games are won by individuals, not teams?

Did you accidently quote my post but were thinking of another one?

All you posted has virtually nothing to do with what I said.
you said "I think it's because some of the mistakes are so inane, there's just no way they can continue."

well.. mistakes are going to continue... you just have to accept that.

you said "Many times we won in spite of him, not because of him."

again.. this implies games are won by individuals.

you said "All you posted has virtually nothing to do with what I said."

this goes beyond stupidity... and right into that great big area that we all know is called... "a lie"

if you're not going to be honest when you reply... what's your objective?

talk about inane .. gee whiz

He led them to the win over Penn State before he was injured for the year. Had some nice games in 2020, too, in case you forget. Funny how some forget the good and focus on the bad.
You really think he led the team to victory over penn st? He had one good throw all game and that’s all it took because the defense shut them down. Especially in the second half with the backup qb.

I hope he throws for 6,000 yards and proves us all wrong.

The difference is not wanting him to fail, but just believing he is incapable of doing it…

You really think he led the team to victory over penn st? He had one good throw all game and that’s all it took because the defense shut them down. Especially in the second half with the backup qb.
Does their backup QB play defense?

Petras had several nice throws but the 2 that stood out to me were the pass over the middle to La Porta where Petras was absolutely destroyed by a linebacker as he threw a frozen rope for an important 3rd down conversion. He also threw the 44-pard pass to Ragaini for the TD.

You might not like him but he has it in him to be a pretty good QB. I hope we see that this season.

Last edited:
Padilla and Petras stats. Read another thread that mentioned Petras passes had around 7% drops. Padilla had 17% drops. When adjusted, Padilla had a better rating by a couple of per cent. And that was with Padilla getting his first starts ever.

you said "I think it's because some of the mistakes are so inane, there's just no way they can continue."

well.. mistakes are going to continue... you just have to accept that.
I do accept it. I already said ALL QBs make mistakes. Just because his are sometimes particularly inane doesn't mean I need reminded mistakes are going to continue. I expect them with him.

you said "Many times we won in spite of him, not because of him."

again.. this implies games are won by individuals.
No, it doesn't. As a matter of fact, this directly implied the TEAM prevailed over an individual's mistakes.

you said "All you posted has virtually nothing to do with what I said."

this goes beyond stupidity... and right into that great big area that we all know is called... "a lie"

if you're not going to be honest when you reply... what's your objective?

talk about inane .. gee whiz
Yeah, you make grievous unnecessary inferences from what I've said, and then sadly jump into ad hominem, calling me dishonest. You're no mind reader, and it's a pretty sure sign you've lost the debate. And don't say "we all know." You certainly don't speak for the board.

You have a good weekend, sir. I'm done with you.

ADVERTISEMENT