ADVERTISEMENT

I Hurt for America

I’m still here. Why are most of you still here? Flights canceled to Somalia?

I love my country. I am overall proud of my country. I think it is full of mostly good people. I think our political and economic system, while far from perfect, is the best man has come up with so far. I think we bumble our way to more progress than regression.

I hurt for America right now. These mass shootings, especially of children, are draining. Our polarization is very strong right now. Our debt is scary. Our southern border is too porous. We have a gun problem, though that is not all we have to fix relative to shootings.

The people we call leaders (our elected officials) are mostly not leaders, yet we re-elect Congress at an 88% clip. (No, term limits just take power from the voters.)

Like it or not, the burden is on us, the millions, to insist upon better. We need to elect leaders.

But overall, right now, I just hurt for this country.
This was a really excellent post, mark. Unfortunate the usual suspects had to ruin the thread.

People say, "America is a great country". It's a wonderful sentiment, but it's based on pride vs. facts. I'm no longer convinced America is a great country - it's a "Me First" country. It's a country of huge political divide. It is a country without leaders - it is led by politicians. It's a country of "Compromise? F*ck No!"

If you haven't seen it, The Newsroom is a great show. This is the scene in the first episode when you get hooked. Jeff Daniels, an incredible talent, lays out a lot of my feelings.

It's a great scene - take a few minutes and watch it,

I have felt since I was in middle school that this self-mythologizing was really, really bad. It prevents honest critique. It like a person going to a therapist and simply saying, “I’m the best” over and over and over—despite being both a fully subjective idea and also, arguably, objectively completely false.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Nope. Facts on what the GOP trash is doing to it as the minority.
If your brain leads you to actually believe America is a “shithole,” then said brain is most certainly a desecration.

America has its faults, no doubt, and this is without question a dark time in our history, but if you look around the world, America gets more right than wrong. Normally, I’m on board with your points, but referring to America as a “shithole” is ridiculous.

Relax, Chris.

Reactions: HawkFan1298
Right, exactly. But most people are emotional because they lack self control. That is counterproductive.

Nick Saban put it best: “Play with emotion, but don’t be emotional.”
True. But hate is an emotion, is it not? And there is a VERY “CONTROLLED” hate driving a lot of stuff these days, is there not?

If your brain leads you to actually believe America is a “shithole,” then said brain is most certainly a desecration.

America has its faults, no doubt, and this is without question a dark time in our history, but if you look around the world, America gets more right than wrong. Normally, I’m on board with your points, but referring to America as a “shithole” is ridiculous.

Relax, Chris.
Lol

There is no doubt that America is the greatest nation on this earth. Sometimes we just see, forget who we are and what has made us who we are. Our nation’s wealth is unparalleled in this world. Our nation’s ingenuity is unmatched. We just need to consider the common good and strive in that direction. I truly believe that a rising tide raises all ships.

There is no doubt that America is the greatest nation on this earth. Sometimes we just see, forget who we are and what has made us who we are. Our nation’s wealth is unparalleled in this world. Our nation’s ingenuity is unmatched. We just need to consider the common good and strive in that direction. I truly believe that a rising tide raises all ships.
I agree but that isn't achieved until the GOP is destroyed

I have felt since I was in middle school that this self-mythologizing was really, really bad. It prevents honest critique. It like a person going to a therapist and simply saying, “I’m the best” over and over and over—despite being both a fully subjective idea and also, arguably, objectively completely false.
Agree. It is possible that no country now qualifies as "great". The USA might be greatest by default.

Tallest midget competition.

I love my country. I am overall proud of my country. I think it is full of mostly good people. I think our political and economic system, while far from perfect, is the best man has come up with so far. I think we bumble our way to more progress than regression.

I hurt for America right now. These mass shootings, especially of children, are draining. Our polarization is very strong right now. Our debt is scary. Our southern border is too porous. We have a gun problem, though that is not all we have to fix relative to shootings.

The people we call leaders (our elected officials) are mostly not leaders, yet we re-elect Congress at an 88% clip. (No, term limits just take power from the voters.)

Like it or not, the burden is on us, the millions, to insist upon better. We need to elect leaders.

But overall, right now, I just hurt for this country.
clapping-applause.gif

Reactions: HawkFan1298
Lot of those we don’t rank so high.
It's a summation. And I'm sure you'd argue the subjective ones in a negative light. But im not going to stop you from choosing misery. Best of luck saving up and moving to wherever is a better fit for you.

But for the sake of discussion, what country(ies) could rank higher in summation?
(And save it if you're going to reference some homogenously populated Nordic country with 10M citizens)

Last edited:
It's a summation. And I'm sure you'd argue the subjective ones in a negative light. But im not going to stop you from choosing misery. Best of luck saving up and moving to wherever is a better fit for you.

But for the sake of discussion, what country(ies) could rank higher in summation?
(And save it if you're going to reference some homogenously populated Nordic country with 10M citizens)
That last paragraph makes it sound like you don't actually want to have a discussion...

ADVERTISEMENT