ADVERTISEMENT

I just DON'T get this!!!

Wadley only had 1,000 last year. He'll be splitting again with Butler. Both will finish around 1,000. I see Wadley having a shot at the Doak Walker if he can hit around 1,700+ yards. Barkley already has the big name, I don't see Wadley even sniffing the Heisman.

Reactions: And1Hawk
I can understand a group of writers from the Big Ten disrespecting Iowa as a whole... I mean.... think about it..
the writer(s) from Nebraska.... they gotta be morons like the rest of them, no?
Michigan, Minnesota.... morons.... are they not?

they don't know nothin... and they're always wrong.

what I would like to know is... who were the morons representing Iowa?
and what did they vote?

I really do think Iowa fans by in large are missing out..
Iowa is going to be a very strong team this season.

remember 2015.... those same so called Hawkeye fans never did enjoy that season.... its because they weren't expecting it.

I tell you the truth.... when you expect it.. and it plays out... its much more enjoyable.

the goal every year for Kirk Ferentz and the rest of the team has always been to win the Conference...... nothing else.

now with Divisions..... the first goal is to win the Division... and then compete for the Conference Championship.

Kirk Ferentz and the other coaches and the players mention this every single year.

the only people that don't seem to want to talk about it is...
the so called journalist who cover the Hawkeyes.

you don't find that suspicious?

I've tried to make myself as clear as possible...
I'm suspicious of these so called beat writers for the Iowa Hawkeyes...
I think its just a gig for them.
I don't think they are fans of the team they cover.
I'm ok with the media not being fans of the teams they cover. In fact I prefer it. If the media is a big "homer" of the team they cover, it gives them no reason to ask the tough questions about decisions in staff, play calling, clock management, etc. This has been missing from local media at times. Unbiased media should promote more accountability.

Last edited:
I'm ok with the media not being fans of the teams they cover. In fact I prefer it. It gives them no reason not to ask tough questions about decisions in staff, play calling, clock management, etc. This has been missing from local media at times. Unbiased media should promote more accountability.

ok... think about this...
let's say a Michigan man comes to Iowa and covers the Iowa Hawkeyes...
or... even a Nebraska guy... like the ones we see in IC.

when they ask the coaches and players questions... are they doing it to encourage support... or are they doing it to encourage resentment?

criticism is perfectly fine and healthy.

but what is at the heart of the criticism?

why are these guys asking the questions they ask?

now... I got a couple more thoughts on this.
when you turn this around on them, the journalist... how do they respond?

for example... in my experience... they will fight like hell to justify why they think somebody else is better than Iowa...
but at the same time.... they never fight like hell in support of Iowa.

think about that.

perhaps you don't have experience communicating with these guys.. therefore have no idea what its like... thats ok

but also think about this... from a fan perspective:

you're standing in your home...
you look out the window and you see your dog standing in the middle of the road.... and here comes a semi barreling down the road toward your dog at about 50 miles an hour.

do you think to yourself... my dumb dog is gonna get run over... ?

and then when he doesn't get run over...
you are left being wrong...and with thee feeling of anxiety...
neither of which is good.

Iowa is the dog
the semi is Wisconsin

think about this.

it is better to look out that window.... and see your dog...
and have confidence in your dog that he's smart enough to jump out of the way of the moving semi.

and then when it happens... you were right... and you can say... yah, that's a good dog.... that's my dog.

these people that predict 6-6... they are the dummies with dumb dogs.
it would be better for them if their dog gets run over.

Leistekow's predictions are right in line with the rest of the media. Obviously a conspiracy. Obviously.
see.... that right there.... that's a red flag.
of course you don't see... its because you ain't lookin.

if what CL says and what the enemy says... are the same thing.

to me... that's a red flag.

Leistekow is one of the more positive beat writers on the Hawks. Not sure what you're grabbing for but in the end who really gives a sh!t? It's predictions.

I've seen countless people saying Iowa will lose one of the first two games.. I've heard Wyoming will get us, I don't see it please someone look at that qbs stats against the good competition and tell me he is an all American player. Iowa state yea that won't happen (park isn't as good as Iowa state fans think)... Iowa returns their most explosive player with a great run blocking o-line.. defense will be stout like it always is.. the dt replacing Johnson will be tough but don't sleep on lattimore

Leistekow is one of the more positive beat writers on the Hawks. Not sure what you're grabbing for but in the end who really gives a sh!t? It's predictions.
I agree he is one of the more positive beat writers... but... he's barely positive...
he does seem like a nice guy compared with some of the others...
but... I don't think he's honest with us... I don't think he's a Hawkeye.
he picked Minnesota to win the Division last year... a team that has never won the Division.
this year he picks Michigan... a team that has never won the Division.

why is he afraid to pick Iowa to win the Division.
there's no question Iowa is going to be a Strong Contender to win the Division.

so why is he an.. "anybody but Iowa".. kind of guy?

I've seen countless people saying Iowa will lose one of the first two games.. I've heard Wyoming will get us, I don't see it please someone look at that qbs stats against the good competition and tell me he is an all American player. Iowa state yea that won't happen (park isn't as good as Iowa state fans think)... Iowa returns their most explosive player with a great run blocking o-line.. defense will be stout like it always is.. the dt replacing Johnson will be tough but don't sleep on lattimore
None of us saw us losing to NDSU last year. I wouldn't say that it could never happen. I certainly hope it doesn't happen, but that's why they play the game.

I heard one of these so called beat writers just the other day...
on the radio.... in front of God and everybody...
say that Iowa State is going to beat Iowa this year.

and this guy poses himself as a Hawkeye Reporter

think about that

The Hawkyes have missed my projections several times over the years. But I think I'd be safe saying that the 2017 version of Iowa Football will not go 6-6.

Only three teams IMHO should be considered heavy favorites over the Hawks...Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin. Iowa could be expected to win at least one of them.

Only Northwestern, Nebraska and perhaps Minnesota & Michigan State are on par with the Hawks. I can't see Iowa losing more than one to this group.

Purdue, Illinois, Wyoming, Iowa State, North Texas will pale before the Hawkeyes in 2017.

I would challenge anyone to make an objective case that there are 6 losses on the 2017 schedule.

Reactions: Hans81
Here are some AP Top 25 preseason picks from 2016 and where they actually finished:

USC--Preseason #20; Final #3
Penn State--Preseason UR; Final #7
Wisconsin--Preseason UR; Final #9

Notre Dame--Preseason #10; Final UR 4-8
Ole Miss--Preseason #11; Final UR 5-7
Michigan State--Preseason #12; Final UR 3-9

Oh, and perhaps most telling: The number of years Iowa has been a preseason Top 10/15 pick and finished in the Top 25 under Ferentz...zero.

The Hawkyes have missed my projections several times over the years. But I think I'd be safe saying that the 2017 version of Iowa Football will not go 6-6.

Only three teams IMHO should be considered heavy favorites over the Hawks...Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin. Iowa could be expected to win at least one of them.

Only Northwestern, Nebraska and perhaps Minnesota & Michigan State are on par with the Hawks. I can't see Iowa losing more than one to this group.

Purdue, Illinois, Wyoming, Iowa State, North Texas will pale before the Hawkeyes in 2017.

I would challenge anyone to make an objective case that there are 6 losses on the 2017 schedule.

I see more losses than you on paper.

The group of OSU, PSU & Wisky on the road I do agree are the meat of this schedule. We have no history of beating OSU and they have arguably the best talent in the conference and are top 5 nationally in talent. PSU under Joe Pa I used to put down a W for us every time but since his departure they have dismantled us three straight times. Two of those defeats, once at home and last year we're some of the worst beat downs as I can recall minus the recent bowl games under KF. ASU road game level defeats. Then Wisky we play close tough games with but I give them the nod this year. I could see us winning 1 but it would have to be Wisky. It is likely 0-3 in this part. If that happens we only have to lose 3 more to go 6-6 (that's 6-3 against the rest).

Then NW, MSU & Nebby are on the road. Should all be close competitive games. I see us winning possibly 2 but more likely 1. I would have never ever believed we could have lost to NW last year after beating them down the year before but we found a way. MSU is a total wild card as none of now what they will look like after their issues. Nebby will put up their most spirited effort regardless of their record. They will not want to go down 3 straight to us.

The season of more than 6 wins hinges on the first 2 games. I could see us dropping both games but likely splitting beating Wyoming barely and losing to ISU. Wyoming is NDSU part 2 and Bohl is coming here to kick our teeth in. ISU will be vastly improved from last year and their making a bowl also hinges on beating us and going 3-0 in the non-con. Their offensive strengths could give us fits. The last meeting there we were a CJ miracle 47 yard scramble away from getting blow out by a 2 win team. This team has more talent than that one and no more Lanning to throw inaccurately helping us. We also have a major propensity to start the season slow. You can look it up but I would guess we have swept the non-con with victories maybe 3 times in KFs 18 year tenure. That's pathetic.

North Texas, Purdue & IL have to be bank them wins but we've lost to worse teams before. We go 3-0 against these 3.

I see 6-6 but that was before Butler. If he's as good as advertised i could be talked into 1 more win. The whole season will depend on the non-con start (the first 2 games). Can KF get his program playing good ball from game 1? The one recent season he did in 2015 we ran the table but the pressure was on then. Coincidence? There's no margin for error and this mantra of we'll finally get it together late in the year will not fly. Too late with this schedule difficulty.

I see more losses than you on paper.

The group of OSU, PSU & Wisky on the road I do agree are the meat of this schedule. We have no history of beating OSU and they have arguably the best talent in the conference and are top 5 nationally in talent. PSU under Joe Pa I used to put down a W for us every time but since his departure they have dismantled us three straight times. Two of those defeats, once at home and last year we're some of the worst beat downs as I can recall minus the recent bowl games under KF. ASU road game level defeats. Then Wisky we play close tough games with but I give them the nod this year. I could see us winning 1 but it would have to be Wisky. It is likely 0-3 in this part. If that happens we only have to lose 3 more to go 6-6 (that's 6-3 against the rest).

Then NW, MSU & Nebby are on the road. Should all be close competitive games. I see us winning possibly 2 but more likely 1. I would have never ever believed we could have lost to NW last year after beating them down the year before but we found a way. MSU is a total wild card as none of now what they will look like after their issues. Nebby will put up their most spirited effort regardless of their record. They will not want to go down 3 straight to us.

The season of more than 6 wins hinges on the first 2 games. I could see us dropping both games but likely splitting beating Wyoming barely and losing to ISU. Wyoming is NDSU part 2 and Bohl is coming here to kick our teeth in. ISU will be vastly improved from last year and their making a bowl also hinges on beating us and going 3-0 in the non-con. Their offensive strengths could give us fits. The last meeting there we were a CJ miracle 47 yard scramble away from getting blow out by a 2 win team. This team has more talent than that one and no more Lanning to throw inaccurately helping us. We also have a major propensity to start the season slow. You can look it up but I would guess we have swept the non-con with victories maybe 3 times in KFs 18 year tenure. That's pathetic.

North Texas, Purdue & IL have to be bank them wins but we've lost to worse teams before. We go 3-0 against these 3.

I see 6-6 but that was before Butler. If he's as good as advertised i could be talked into 1 more win. The whole season will depend on the non-con start (the first 2 games). Can KF get his program playing good ball from game 1? The one recent season he did in 2015 we ran the table but the pressure was on then. Coincidence? There's no margin for error and this mantra of we'll finally get it together late in the year will not fly. Too late with this schedule difficulty.

What you basically described is college football about every year. Two years ago many Iowa fans were talking about how Iowa would lose the opener to Illinois State. Conversely, last year Iowa fans were sure that ND State had yet to face a real D1 opponent and would get clobbered by the Hawks. Oh, and let's not forget how just about everyone was ready to mail in the season after that embarrassing loss to Penn State last year. Then Michigan happened.

My point? There is a small margin of error every year. That's why they play the game. Who would have thought at the beginning of last year that Wisconsin and Penn State would have been playing for the B1G championship? For that matter, who would have picked Iowa vs Michigan State the year before? We know very little for certain. But what we do know is Iowa (assuming health is not an issue) should have one of the best lines in the country again this year, two very talented running backs, and a solid, well-disciplined defense. Guess what? That's usually a recipe for a pretty good season. Let's see what happens.

C'mon now. The job of the Iowa media is not to be an extension of the Iowa sports information department. If they are just nothing but positive and glowing reports about Iowa sports, what is the point? The Iowa media in general are fair, which is really what should be expected. They aren't going to go out of their way to criticize Iowa because they need access to coaches and players to function at their jobs. But neither do they shy away from asking questions tough questions when warranted.

It really seems like The Badgers are the only team in the West that gets any love. I guess they have more then proven themselves over and over again. But like my Huskers, Hawkeye fans have to see it the big picture. These guys see we both have new QBs coming in, no ones giving them any credit just yet. But oh well, let Iowa and Nebraska fly under the radar. When they see our QBs are the real deal, and things are clicking for the teams. They will set up straight and be like "where the world did Iowa (Nebraska) come from?" One things constant with Iowa, you guys normally have solid to good defenses, good Oline play with decent to good RBs and you guys always seem to have a game manager for QB, one that rarely makes mistakes. I feel strongly both Iowa and Nebraska will show strong this year and shut a lot of talking heads up by season end.

Last edited:
Okay, let's understand this fif... sportswriters are not paid to be fans. They are paid to be objective, creative, entertaining and informative. For the most part Register, Gazette and others accomplish that. Sports fans are expected to have a blind eye; can be uninformed with unrealistic expectations. I love my Hawkeyes, respect the challenges of the media and am grateful to have this forum to express both.

I remember MM saying after the Spring Game in 2015 that the Offensive Line "sucked, sucked, sucked !"
very emphatically, I might add.
never once thought to credit Drew Ott.

but that's what happens when you soak your brain with booze and watch mindless hockey all the time.

I've been saying it for years now... and I'll keep on saying...
it would be nice if somebody in the media was actually a fan of the team they are covering.

when I watch the Iowa Hawkeyes... I always listen to Gary Dolpin... I know where he stands... and I like it.

I know where Eddie Podolak stands as well... and I like that too.

one thing I listen for when I hear these guys in the media talk...
its when they say something to the effect ...
"well Hawkeyes fans should be..."
or..
"if I was a fan..."

putting themselves outside of that group

thereby indirectly confessing they are not a fan of the team they cover.
I got a problem with this.. I think its dishonest.

if I was in charge of Sports Information at Iowa, I would bar these guys from all events.

when you got everybody in the media on the same page...
something ain't right.

you got no individualism for one...
and you got nobody with "a strong enough character"* to stand out among the rest.

instead we got a bunch of weak kneed yellow bellied ESPN wannabes who are too afraid to go out and say they think their team has a chance to do something special.

why are they so afraid to be wrong?
they are always wrong anyway.
why not be wrong on the right side?

just think... if just one reporter went all out and became a big time homer for the Iowa Hawkeyes...

he'd be the most popular man in the media.

*balls

I've tried to make myself as clear as possible...
I'm suspicious of these so called beat writers for the Iowa Hawkeyes...
I think its just a gig for them.
I don't think they are fans of the team they cover.

You know what as much as you keep saying you are suspicious of some here I think we should be suspicious of your sir...

I think you are a double secret agent who truly wants to see Iowa do bad.

Reactions: Pepperman
I remember MM saying after the Spring Game in 2015 that the Offensive Line "sucked, sucked, sucked !"

but that's what happens when you soak your brain with booze and watch mindless hockey all the time.

it would be nice if somebody in the media was actually a fan of the team they are covering.

when I watch the Iowa Hawkeyes... I always listen to Gary Dolpin... I know where he stands... and I like it.

or..
"if I was a fan..."

if I was in charge of Sports Information at Iowa, I would bar these guys from all events.

something ain't right.

and you got nobody with "a strong enough character"* to stand out among the rest.

instead we got a bunch of weak kneed yellow bellied ESPN wannabes who are too afraid to go out and say they think their team has a chance to do something special.

just think... if just one reporter went all out and became a big time homer for the Iowa Hawkeyes...

*balls

Yes, let's make you the SI Director at Iowa and ban every media member who isn't a "fan" of the team. You would shrink the fan base to nothing in no time with that approach. Having this conversation with you isn't productive as your understanding of the role of the media as it relates to covering Iowa sports is much different than what most people want. If I want nothing but positivity, I can get it from the UI website.

I think Iowa is anywhere from a 5 to a 9-win team this year. Would you ban me too, since I have an opinion that isn't 12-0?

It really seems like The Badgers are the only team in the West that gets any love. I guess they have more then proven themselves over and over again. But like my Huskers, Hawkeye fans have to see it the big picture. These guys see we both have new QBs coming in, no ones giving them any credit just yet. But oh well, let Iowa and Nebraska fly under the radar. When they see our QBs are the real deal, and things are clicking for the teams. They will set up straight and be like "where the world did Iowa (Nebraska) come from?" One things constant with Iowa, you guys normally have solid to good defenses, good Oline play with decent to good RBs and you guys always seem to have a game manager for QB, one that rarely makes mistakes. I feel strongly both Iowa and Nebraska will show strong this year and shut a lot of talking heads up by season end.

The world needs more Nebraska fans like you. Thanks for a well-reasoned post!

or..
"if I was a fan..."

something ain't right.

*balls

You are actually worse than Kilroy, although I kind of wonder if you aren't Kilroy or possibly related?

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
I believe the bowl performance is a lot of it. Then, the writers see no returning receivers really, new QB, big time offensive coaching changes, the schedule...

We fans have to look at this stuff and take the emotion out of it to understand why they predict what they predict.

I'm as fair weather as it gets around here, and I'm not sure what the hell is going to happen this year. Could be 4 wins if injuries are an issue and QB doesn't sort itself out. Could be 10, but that assumes some upsets along the way, near perfect health, and we get some Ferentz 1st year QB fortune.

So...add those two numbers together, divide by 2 - which for the most part is what we're seeing as far as the pundits' predictions.

Iowa teams typically do not have enough depth to overcome injury obstacles. I am not sure how our line won a award last year, rarely they were all healthy long enough to be fully evaluated. There were plenty of games were CJ took a beating. If we have issues at QB or any of our O-line start getting nicked, the season will get ugly quick. I am happy to fly under the radar to eek out a 8-9 win season, especially changes in staff and new faces on the field.

I agree he is one of the more positive beat writers... but... he's barely positive...
he does seem like a nice guy compared with some of the others...
but... I don't think he's honest with us... I don't think he's a Hawkeye.
he picked Minnesota to win the Division last year... a team that has never won the Division.
this year he picks Michigan... a team that has never won the Division.

why is he afraid to pick Iowa to win the Division.
there's no question Iowa is going to be a Strong Contender to win the Division.

so why is he an.. "anybody but Iowa".. kind of guy?

I have no clue so I could definitely be wrong here, but as a true Hawkeye fan Ive noticed we like to fly under the radar. We like to be picked to finish 5th and have that chip on our shoulder to prove the critics wrong. That being said do you think a non fan boy hype machine beat writer is good for our program and possibly doing so when possible with inside hawkeye approval?

or..
"if I was a fan..."

something ain't right.

*balls

you really shouldn't stop taking your meds...

Iowa teams typically do not have enough depth to overcome injury obstacles. I am not sure how our line won a award last year, rarely they were all healthy long enough to be fully evaluated. There were plenty of games were CJ took a beating. If we have issues at QB or any of our O-line start getting nicked, the season will get ugly quick. I am happy to fly under the radar to eek out a 8-9 win season, especially changes in staff and new faces on the field.
I think we have very good depth on the O line. I'm still hoping Jackson wins the starting tackle job. And I wouldn't be shocked if Wirfs made the depth chart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT