ADVERTISEMENT

I just watched 8 episodes of “Soap”. Wow

FAUlty Gator

HB Legend
Oct 27, 2017
First two seasons on Tubi.

I can’t believe they actually let that air. Funny to think how 40 years later a show that was allowed on TV IN 1979 would no way in hell be allowed on TV in 2021.

Some things:

Benson and Chester are gonna go out to eat and Benson says, “Let’s get Chinks food.” Was repeated a couple times.

Danny dressed like an Arab. Asked if he came to find his camel or tribe.

Chuck and Bob. Holy hell. 50 gay jokes. Lole

And the line that made me post this. Burt says to Jodi, “Just remember. When she says “No”…she means “Yes”.

Funny as hell though still. Richard Milligan was incredibly underrated. Burt has moved way up on my characters list.

csb

Comedy is serious business now days. I don't know how modern comedians navigate to avoid the outrage.

Comedy is serious business now days. I don't know how modern comedians navigate to avoid the outrage.
I get that. But besides the censors not allowing it, I don’t think writes would even say most of that stuff these days. Maybe South Park. That’s it.

First two seasons on Tubi.

I can’t believe they actually let that air. Funny to think how 40 years later a show that was allowed on TV IN 1979 would no way in hell be allowed on TV in 2021.

Some things:

Benson and Chester are gonna go out to eat and Benson says, “Let’s get Chinks food.” Was repeated a couple times.

Danny dressed like an Arab. Asked if he came to find his camel or tribe.

Chuck and Bob. Holy hell. 50 gay jokes. Lole

And the line that made me post this. Burt says to Jodi, “Just remember. When she says “No”…she means “Yes”.

Funny as hell though still. Richard Milligan was incredibly underrated. Burt has moved way up on my characters list.

csb
IMO, it was one of the best shows of its time.

You can't understand how comedians are successful today because they can't tell racist, homophobic, or rape jokes? You have a pretty shitty sense of humor.
I think it’s more like this, fred. A person sits in a comedy show and laughs at every twisted joke that pokes fun at all kinds of stuff for the first 40 minutes. Then that comedian delves into the “sacred” topic the fan doesn’t want to hear get made fun of and suddenly the comedian, that was funny as hell up to that point, is now evil.

Multiply that by the 300 people like that in the room and it becomes a tough landscape. Most of the time comedians don’t realize they said anything “offensive” until the day after, because when they said it everyone in the room laughed except the one pissed off person whose ox got gored.

I think it’s more like this, fred. A person sits in a comedy show and laughs at every twisted joke that pokes fun at all kinds of stuff for the first 40 minutes. Then that comedian delves into the “sacred” topic the fan doesn’t want to hear get made fun of and suddenly the comedian, that was funny as hell up to that point, is now evil.

Multiply that by the 300 people like that in the room and it becomes a tough landscape. Most of the time comedians don’t realize they said anything “offensive” until the day after, because when they said it everyone in the room laughed except the one pissed off person whose ox got gored.

Bullshit. Bill Burr called a Philadelphia arena f*ggots for his entire set because they pissed him off. He's still a pretty successful comedian. Chappelle talks about the difference between being black and white all the time. Still gets Netflix specials.

It's a lazy argument for people who want to blatantly racist, homophobic, etc. I don't find the humor in it. Sorry, if it ruined your brief standup career 🤣

The same could be said for shows like MASH as well. Imagine the outrage today if a sitcom came on with a character named Oliver Harmon "Spearchucker" Jones.
When I first heard that, I thought it was even way over the top for back then. It came as a great relief when I realized he was called that because he threw the javelin in college. Still wouldn't be even close to being considered today obviously.

Bullshit. Bill Burr called a Philadelphia arena f*ggots for his entire set because they pissed him off. He's still a pretty successful comedian. Chappelle talks about the difference between being black and white all the time. Still gets Netflix specials.

It's a lazy argument for people who want to blatantly racist, homophobic, etc. I don't find the humor in it. Sorry, if it ruined your brief standup career 🤣
You’re arguing something I’m not. I’m simply saying that comedy hasn’t changed. People’s very specific sensibilities have. Along with their ability to announce to the world that their feelings have been hurt. Regardless of material, you can’t deny that the landscape has changed from the view of the comedian.

Oh…and I did an impromptu 27 minutes a month ago, with no prep, and had one of the best sets of my career. Killed it. The old boy still has it when he needs it. 😷

Reactions: Finance85
You’re arguing something I’m not. I’m simply saying that comedy hasn’t changed. People’s very specific sensibilities have. Along with their ability to announce to the world that their feelings have been hurt. Regardless of material, you can’t deny that the landscape has changed from the view of the comedian.

Oh…and I did an impromptu 27 minutes a month ago, with no prep, and had one of the best sets of my career. Killed it. The old boy still has it when he needs it. 😷

Sure the landscape has changed but that doesn't mean comedians can't be successful. There are plenty of rich comedians out there. Not all of the old timers walked that walk either. Carlin was never overly racist. Pryor never got a laugh telling rape jokes.

I guess what it really boils down too is that your either your funny or you aren't regardless of the jokes you tell. It's more than just the joke that makes someone funny.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator

The real change is the medium.

OP is correct that Soap would not run on network television in 2021. But it absolutely could run in about 100 other places: Youtube, HBO, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, etc., etc.

This wailing and gnashing of teeth over the fact that you can't name a character "Spearchucker" or have a comedian call people fags on "TV" is kind of hilarious to me. It's like the whiners think it still IS 1979 and censorship has blanketed the land.

The comedian's who get canceled usually fall into one of these 3 categories.
1. Defiant sexual behavior
2. Do something offensive that isn't funny
3. Lack talent

I didn't even crack a smile watching that. The laugh track is worse than Friends.

:)

1pxgv7.gif

Reactions: torbee
One of my favorite shows of all time.

"We don't have homos in Texas" remains one of my favorite TV lines.

Several actors made names for themselves, but of course none bigger than Billy Crystal, whom I think played the first openly gay TV character ever.

Ah, the good 'ole days....

Wife & I saw Anthony Jeselnick 4 or 5
months ago. One of the darkest stand ups currently working.
"I'll tell you one thing. I'm against cancel culture."

Waits for half the crowd to clap/cheer.

"Is my impression of shitty comedians."

Made me laugh pretty hard. Also just noticing FAUlty's post is 3 years old lol.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman

Yeah I saw this and thought my password got stolen or I had a stroke.

Reactions: wausauhawk

Surprising he hasn’t put a special in almost 5 yrs.

When we saw him he had just recorded a new special the previous weekend. Should be on Netflix this fall/winter. It's a really great hour.
Deep in character for the entire show. His handlers can’t figure out his mode coming of stage. Can’t tell if he’s furious with the crowd or happy with them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT