ADVERTISEMENT

I know this is blasphemy to say out loud...

soybean

HR King
Sep 30, 2001
...but I'm more worried about the hawks getting past Davidson that Gonzaga.

Don't get me wrong...I think Iowa beats them both. But I see Davidson giving us the tougher time.

Iowa 72 Davidson 59... Hawks pull away late.

Iowa 81 Gonzaga 66... nearly wire to wire.

post-60209-walking-dead-abraham-mother-di-CIvS.gif

Originally posted by soybean:
...but I'm more worried about the hawks getting past Davidson that Gonzaga.

Don't get me wrong...I think Iowa beats them both. But I see Davidson giving us the tougher time.

Iowa 72 Davidson 59... Hawks pull away late.

Iowa 81 Gonzaga 66... nearly wire to wire.
Though it's popular to overrate Gonzaga, this may be their best-balanced team in any of the tournaments. In the past they always had that guy, Adam Morrison, Kelly Olynck, Austin Daye, Ronny Turiaf and always a bunch of role players around them. This team seems to have more of the full package. Pangos, Wiltjer, Karnowski, Wesley and Sabonis is a pretty solid team. They shoot it well. Rebound well. Play defense well. They have size inside. It's a very tough matchup.

All of that said, it's not like were tiny next them either. And then there's schedule strength. Our is 33. Their's is 73, and I do think that plays into it.

All that said, we'll have our hands full with Davidson.

Considering the possibilities, Hawks got a favorable placement. If the Hawks can get the ball inside without many turnovers and Davidson doesn't go crazy from 3, we should have a pretty good chance to win in the first round. Gonzaga is a very good team with a good balance of inside and outside players, but they don't seem to be the extremely physical type of team that we have the most trouble with. Hawks will have to be at the top of their game to get into the sweet 16, but the match ups could be a lot worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT