ADVERTISEMENT

I Like Our Start, Ranked Though?

Mar 14, 2003
While I like the start to the season, and hope it continues. I think it's a bit ridiculous we are ranked #20 already. Still a very unproven product IMO.

My only concern with being ranked this early is that Frans teams have not responded well to being ranked in the past. Those teams seemed to have bought into the hype and relaxed. They never recovered when the other teams caught up and passed them as the year went on. This team feels more like it might get nastier if it keeps winning. They went into last year as overconfident and got thumped. I think they are as likely to get more focused and more hungry as they get wins because they want some payback. The next few games will be critical for continuing to gain confidence. We need to see them continue to play hard against the weaker teams as well as the good ones though.

My only concern with being ranked this early is that Frans teams have not responded well to being ranked in the past. Those teams seemed to have bought into the hype and relaxed. They never recovered when the other teams caught up and passed them as the year went on. This team feels more like it might get nastier if it keeps winning. They went into last year as overconfident and got thumped. I think they are as likely to get more focused and more hungry as they get wins because they want some payback. The next few games will be critical for continuing to gain confidence. We need to see them continue to play hard against the weaker teams as well as the good ones though.

Lol

LOL, nice projection of how the Iowa team reacts to being ranked.
You have no idea why they faded or didn't play well. Being ranked is far from the only reason a team would not play well.

Reactions: 24 so far
I understand what the OP is saying,... I'd actually prefer to be unranked right now....

Were any of the current players on the roster during the 15-16 campaign when we were last ranked? Baer probably was but the bulk of our roster has never been ranked. To the contrary, down the stretch their Freshman year they played very well and nearly played themselves into the tourney with big road wins and Wisconsin and Maryland.

Rankings are irrelevant this early in the season, but this team deserves to be ranked. Winning the 2K Classic was an impressive accomplishment.

If I were voting, I'd probably put Iowa about where they are, even though I don't think they really belong there. This early in the season you have to go with the information you have, and they have two nice wins.

Reactions: brokenarrow73
I have no control over the Hawks being ranked/unranked...winning or losing. As a fan I am confused how anyone wouldn't see a positive with being ranked and talked about. Enjoy the ups when they happen because there will be downs.

Reactions: brokenarrow73
The mentality of this team is different than any other Fran team I have seen. The want to win. Hopefully they have this attitude every game. Being ranked helps create national attention which helps recruiting. There is no reason for current team members to pay attention to the rankings as tournaments at the end of the season decide the champions. Rankings create good hype to get recruits interested.

While I like the start to the season, and hope it continues. I think it's a bit ridiculous we are ranked #20 already. Still a very unproven product IMO.
; I'm curious why you say you think it's ridiculous. They beat the number one rated pac-10 team team and a UConn team that traditionally is pretty good. And looked very impressive in doing so. I don't think it means much either way but we certainly can use the exposure and I don't think it's that much of a reach when you look at some of the other college teams that are rated around them I think they'll be able to hold their own

The mentality of this team is different than any other Fran team I have seen. The want to win. Hopefully they have this attitude every game. Being ranked helps create national attention which helps recruiting. There is no reason for current team members to pay attention to the rankings as tournaments at the end of the season decide the champions. Rankings create good hype to get recruits interested.
yeah I agree these last two games especially there was an intensity on defense and also in rebounding that I haven't seen in years in a Hawkeye team.

Reactions: hawkfan1963
If I were voting, I'd probably put Iowa about where they are, even though I don't think they really belong there. This early in the season you have to go with the information you have, and they have two nice wins.
again why don't they belong there?I'm recovering from a knee replacement so I have more time than I need and I've watched a lot more college basketball so far this year than I have in the past and those two performances in New York was very very impressive compared to most of the basketball I've seen this year

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa

They dominated the #13 team in the country who was a top 5 recruit and is an NBA lottery pick after this year; and then proceeded to dominate the team who destroyed Syracuse, who was also a top 15 team? Not to mention they're 4-0...yes, its early and it may not matter in a few weeks but its warranted right now.

Reactions: HawksRMe
Rankings are irrelevant this early in the season, but this team deserves to be ranked. Winning the 2K Classic was an impressive accomplishment.
Irrelevant as to how the season will play out. Yes it is too early to tell, but I agree Iowa is absolutely as deserving to be #20 as any other team.

But like it or not, rankings are NEVER irrelevant. They absolutely dictate which teams get talked about and even whose scores are shown on tickers at the bottom of everyone’ television screens.

after last season this early ranking just be a even more motivating reason to continue to play at a high level and it might even lead to a more intense improvement over the course of the season.

Seriously bro you need to step away from the keyboard for a change ! I swear you do nothing all day but start new threads! Don’t you have a job or something to go to?

again why don't they belong there?I'm recovering from a knee replacement so I have more time than I need and I've watched a lot more college basketball so far this year than I have in the past and those two performances in New York was very very impressive compared to most of the basketball I've seen this year
I think they belong there in the sense of how these things are decided -- which is why I said if I were voting, I'd put them there. I don't think they are better than all but 19 teams in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT