ADVERTISEMENT

I love these old pictures of Kinnick...

Kinnick.At.Night

HR Legend
Jun 27, 2018
Both taken in 1930 by Frederick W. Kent. Capacity 53,000.

hp95x2g.jpg

tumblr_n9llgcP2rW1trxs3po1_1280.jpg

Very cool. That is what it looked like when my grandparents met at the State University of Iowa circa 1935. An Ames kid, it was their Hawkeye love that planted the seed. RIP Harold and Evelyn!

Sedge
I must be getting old.

Back when I was in high school and pretty well decided on going to Iowa our dentist, making small talk mostly, spoke of "good ol' S.U.I." though by then it was, of course, UI.

That has stuck in my head ever since.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Think they moved the press box from the east side to the west so they wouldn’t be looking straight into the sun?

Both sides had mirror-image press boxes. The one on the east was later removed, maybe when the large tower press box was built during the 50s Rose Bowl years. I believe the original mirror-image design was taken from old Iowa Field down along the east bank of the river.

Iowa Field

Reactions: Herkmeister
OH MAN!!! That photo of old Iowa Field is EPIC!!! Any idea on the capacity?

Maximum capacity was reported to be 30,000. It was used from 1890-1928 for football and a bit longer for baseball. The Wikipedia article has links to two pictures. The 1927 pic shows the relationship to the baseball field and also how the west stands hung out over the Iowa River!

Broke ground in March 1929 and finished in October 1929. Those boys and girls back then could build!!!!!! Would be like a 3 year project today.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
It’s weird to see the hills of the golf course when it’s quite flat around the stadium now.

I kind of wish they would have rebuilt it by the river. Tailgating would be sweet all along the river front now that they have those pedestrian bridges.

I went to the Mid Tenn St game this year with 2 other couples that had never gone before. I told them that when I started going in the 80's there were 8 tennis courts located on the south side where the Kinnick statute is located.

Both sides had mirror-image press boxes. The one on the east was later removed, maybe when the large tower press box was built during the 50s Rose Bowl years. I believe the original mirror-image design was taken from old Iowa Field down along the east bank of the river.

Iowa Field
Another interesting about that picture is you see a small non-descript building next to the baseball field. Here’s a ground view of it from at least a decade or two before the Iowa Field picture.
ajaxhelper

That’s the Old Armory, not the Armory that was attached to the Fieldhouse and torn down a few decades ago. That building is where the basketball team used to play over a century ago.

Didn't the Old Armory stand until about 1980 when it was replaced by some small, crummy (Communications?) building?

There were two tennis courts too, which was kinda cool right in the heart of campus.

Don’t forget the ‘old’ Stadium Park married student housing that was immediately outside the west stands. That was torn down in ‘73 or ‘74ish. Also the size of the hospital then.............and now.

Another interesting about that picture is you see a small non-descript building next to the baseball field. Here’s a ground view of it from at least a decade or two before the Iowa Field picture.
ajaxhelper

That’s the Old Armory, not the Armory that was attached to the Fieldhouse and torn down a few decades ago. That building is where the basketball team used to play over a century ago.

Yes. The Old Armory stood just across Washington Street from the Main Library. The entrance and ticket booth for Iowa Field were where Washington Street went under the railroad trestle which is still there. I remember seeing "Iowa Field" embossed in the cement structure of the trestle when I was an undergrad and wondered what the heck that was about. I had no idea that the football field had once been there.

Last edited:
I went to the Mid Tenn St game this year with 2 other couples that had never gone before. I told them that when I started going in the 80's there were 8 tennis courts located on the south side where the Kinnick statute is located.
Yeah, I took tennis there as a 1-credit hour elective. Played there a couple times a week. Was in 85 or 86.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT