ADVERTISEMENT

I need someone to settle a physics / dog debate for me.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I'm guessing this is a physics question. I've been in a robust debate with our son about the dog. 19 Pounds of Fury curls up into the most impossible of positions to be close to me. Currently she is jackknifed in between my knees and ankles as I type on the laptop, using a pillow as a work station. If I move an inch, she shifts to maintain contact with me. I told the boy that she's a heat vampire, sucking heat from me as Winter sets in. The kid says that's nonsense, dogs keep a higher body heat, and she's shedding heat to me. She just is reverting to her wild dog DNA and curling up with her pack member in order to feel safe.
So, physics, or dog DNA and pack mentality in action?

Google says dogs normal body heat is 101 - 102. I think the dog enjoys the heat emitted from you, as you do from the dog. Nature symbiosis. Heat will be emitted from both beings no matter who is warmer, so why not share in any heat recovery as you can.

I'm guessing this is a physics question. I've been in a robust debate with our son about the dog. 19 Pounds of Fury curls up into the most impossible of positions to be close to me. Currently she is jackknifed in between my knees and ankles as I type on the laptop, using a pillow as a work station. If I move an inch, she shifts to maintain contact with me. I told the boy that she's a heat vampire, sucking heat from me as Winter sets in. The kid says that's nonsense, dogs keep a higher body heat, and she's shedding heat to me. She just is reverting to her wild dog DNA and curling up with her pack member in order to feel safe.
So, physics, or dog DNA and pack mentality in action?
Dogs leaning up against you and wanting to lie against you are what I was informed are "doggie hugs".

GF had a white lab that always was a leaner, leaning against people he liked and ALWAYS wanting to lie up on the couch next to you.

My dog is far more aloof, and would prefer to be on his own couch in the den, across from me. He occasionally wants up on the bed to sleep, but most of the time wants to sleep on the floor in his own bed and not be kicked around.

So, I'd say you just have a "cuddler" dog.

Dog actually likes you or is using you to stay warm. And I figured you for a cat person. Dogs are man’s best friend, enjoy the companionship he is willing to share.

Does she also do it in the summer? Same peanut butter? Need to isolate variables.
She does it in Summer, but not to the same extent. Given her size when the a/c is on in the house she's probably prone to getting chilly.
Right now she's eyeballing me from the couch. As soon as I put the leg rest out on the armchair she'll be over to curl up.
Edit: Boom. She's curled up on the leg rest. She'll never make it through the Duke game, though.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I think neither of you are correct, or both are correct depending on how you want to look at it. You both gain from the contact as both of you are warmer than the surrounding air/furniture. So you each leak less heat into the room than you normally would if you weren't touching. Who benefits the most would depend on the temp of his fur and your clothes at the point of contact.

I think neither of you are correct, or both are correct depending on how you want to look at it. You both gain from the contact as both of you are warmer than the surrounding air/furniture. So you each leak less heat into the room than you normally would if you weren't touching. Who benefits the most would depend on the temp of his fur and your clothes at the point of contact.
Beat me to the response. Its a net win for both as long as both of you are warmer than room temperature.

Reactions: BelemNole
ADVERTISEMENT