ADVERTISEMENT

I see where they finally dumped the Pro-Bowl which had become a joke. But,

Hawk68

HR MVP
Oct 1, 2001
this for some reason, took me back to when I was a wee lad living next to what is now Kinnick in a place called Stadium Park which was a conglomeration of quonset huts built for military families returning from WWII. I don't know how many of you are aware that Iowa finished Spring practice with an alumni game during the early to mid-fifties.

Most of the specifics have been lost in the fog of my current memory so I need some help from other old farts or a Hawk historian. Remember, this is when they played both ways. I do remember many of the alumni teams contained "name" players, but I won't try to mention them because I will screw the names up. You have to remember that the Pro league was not such a big deal at that time.

I do remember the games were competitive in the first half and they were broadcast on radio. It was evident that the alumni were not in shape to compete for a whole game with the varsity, but I admired they even showed up. Also, the alumni players joked around some, doing things like obvious holding and moving the ball back etc. Also, the varsity had to furnish some reserve players to the alumni to fill various positions. I am sure this tradition ended because of legal problems, injuries and the rise of the NFL. It would be fun and very interesting if it could continue today with all the recent players. It would be quite a game!

this for some reason, took me back to when I was a wee lad living next to what is now Kinnick in a place called Stadium Park which was a conglomeration of quonset huts built for military families returning from WWII. I don't know how many of you are aware that Iowa finished Spring practice with an alumni game during the early to mid-fifties.

Most of the specifics have been lost in the fog of my current memory so I need some help from other old farts or a Hawk historian. Remember, this is when they played both ways. I do remember many of the alumni teams contained "name" players, but I won't try to mention them because I will screw the names up. You have to remember that the Pro league was not such a big deal at that time.

I do remember the games were competitive in the first half and they were broadcast on radio. It was evident that the alumni were not in shape to compete for a whole game with the varsity, but I admired they even showed up. Also, the alumni players joked around some, doing things like obvious holding and moving the ball back etc. Also, the varsity had to furnish some reserve players to the alumni to fill various positions. I am sure this tradition ended because of legal problems, injuries and the rise of the NFL. It would be fun and very interesting if it could continue today with all the recent players. It would be quite a game!
Thanks for sharing. I had no clue they did that . Thats when football was still just a game and colleges didn't consider it a revenue maker

This is some Iowa football history I did not know about. They wouldn’t even consider such a thing today because if the liability involved with the older alums especially.

This is some Iowa football history I did not know about. They wouldn’t even consider such a thing today because if the liability involved with the older alums especially.
I doubt if there are many out there who remember much more than I. It drew a good crowd. I hope someone comes up with a book that has more detail. By the way, Stadium Park was probably the safest place in Iowa at that time. Every adult watched the kids and even I could tell that some of men had the "look" of don't screw with me because I have been there.

ADVERTISEMENT