ADVERTISEMENT

I Slept on it and I Think the answer might be licensing and taxing firearms/owners..

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
Use the $$ generated to finance state mental health programs. Treat firearms like automobiles...license them annually..and tag them. Firearm owners need to be licensed and like a driver’s license, it is renewable every 2-5 years.
The “right” to bear arms is not affected...just made safer for the masses. To exercise your Second Amendment Rights should be as hassle free as American’s right to vote. ;)

The “right” to bear arms is not affected..

DWFU9b8XUAYE-wt.jpg

Shall no be infringed.

Fix that part and then we can move forward.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

We have limits on free speech, despite the First saying "congress shall make no law.... abridging the freedom of speech"

It might make people feel good, but how many guns and gun owners are registered anywhere? My friend has owned 6 guns over the years and has never registered any of them. As far as the government knows, those guns don't exist. I imagine it's the same for 100s of millions of guns.

Make the legal age to purchase a semi-automatic rifle 21. The same as handguns. That should help with the issue of the recent shootings. Of course it wouldn’t prevent these teens from buying illegally but it will help to ease the obsession these weirdos had with their weapons.

The 2nd would be a national requirement to have passed a Hunter safety course or firearm course in order to own a firearm. Folks that have already passed a course will be good. Those that haven’t will need to within a 2 year period. Any new gun owner will need to go through a training prior to purchase.

Those are some pretty easy solutions that shouldn’t get 2nd amendment supporters upset.

It might make people feel good, but how many guns and gun owners are registered anywhere? My friend has owned 6 guns over the years and has never registered any of them. As far as the government knows, those guns don't exist. I imagine it's the same for 100s of millions of guns.
What if in order to buy ammo you had to show proof of registration of a weapon that uses that type of ammo?

with the creation of any law there is an expectation that some people will not follow it which is why we have penalties and fines. if someone chooses not to be a law abiding citizen then that is their choice and they will probably get away with it for awhile but in most cases it’s not worth the risk.

it makes no sense to not implement a law because some people might not follow it.

Reactions: BelemNole
No gun laws will address what’s really wrong with us as a society. Draft and pass all the laws you want. Just going to get worse.

that’s a depressing viewpoint. you are probably right but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try.

Reactions: gohawks50
Same here. I have several rifles and shotguns--mostly acquired when I personally confiscated my bipolar father's guns and took them from FL to TX and the others I confiscated when my FIL was diagnosed with dementia. I have my CHL and my 9mm is the only gun I have registered. I go to the range periodically for proficiency, but I have zero clue how I'd use a weapon under extreme stress/fear situations and pray to God I never have to find out. I have no desire to engage a human being with a weapon. None. Zilch.

that’s a depressing viewpoint. you are probably right but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try.
I want us to pass all the damn gun laws we can, and when this $hit keeps happening then we can start to focus on the real issue--mental health. The good thing is that hopefully when the violence still occurs, it's 4 deaths instead of 19 because we've limited access to weapons like the one's being used in these mass shootings.

Again, we've got to start somewhere and try something because NOTHING isn't working.

There isn’t a “the” answer because there isn’t a “the” problem.

I know we all want a quick and simple solution, but in fact there are hundreds of answers to be delivered over 20 years, the kind of long-term focus we are not good at.

I want us to pass all the damn gun laws we can, and when this $hit keeps happening then we can start to focus on the real issue--mental health. The good thing is that hopefully when the violence still occurs, it's 4 deaths instead of 19 because we've limited access to weapons like the one's being used in these mass shootings.

Again, we've got to start somewhere and try something because NOTHING isn't working.

i completely agree. ideally some gun restrictions and mental health funding occur at the same time.

with the creation of any law there is an expectation that some people will not follow it which is why we have penalties and fines. if someone chooses not to be a law abiding citizen then that is their choice and they will probably get away with it for awhile but in most cases it’s not worth the risk.

it makes no sense to not implement a law because some people might not follow it.
I didn't say we shouldn't implement laws. The law in the op would possibly be effective in stopping an 18 year old kid from buying a gun on his birthday but it would also make criminals out of 10s of millions of people instantly. I don't know that that would be very efficient. I'm for stronger laws. Particularly I believe the age to buy a handgun or semi automatic rifle should be 21.

Reactions: eb05
How is ammunition protected by the 2nd amendment?
I believe it was a city in California that tried to make ammo more difficult to purchase and the courts ruled it unconstitutional because it was a de facto infringement on the second.

Big things have small beginnings

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Big things have small beginnings
Yup! This is the time the GOP can redeem themselves and come along side the Democrats and make some bi-partisan decision that make sense and will help curtail this level of senseless violence. Do something, anything!

I believe it was a city in California that tried to make ammo more difficult to purchase and the courts ruled it unconstitutional because it was a de facto infringement on the second.
Okay, but my idea was simply that the purchaser had to show proof that he owned a registered gun that would fire the ammo.

Also when the constitution was written they were using muskets with fire powder and musket balls not boxes of ready made bullets behind the counter at Walmart. The leaked abortion opinion said that the constitution does not specifically protect the right to an abortion and in my opinion it also doesn't specifically protect the right to purchase ready made ammunition.

No gun laws will address what’s really wrong with us as a society. Draft and pass all the laws you want. Just going to get worse.
I agree with this. Read that article you posted, and it briefly touched on the societal diseases caused by capitalist greed, but I’ll add that all of it is in front of us, but we choose to ignore it.
See? I agree with you on something. 😊

Reactions: Tom Paris

How about a multi-prong approach to tackle guns and mental health? Then, see what happens over the next decade. Look at what places like German, Finland, Australia and UK have done to lower gun-related suicides, homicides, and mass shootings. See what we can take from them and apply here. Something has to be tried to see if it works because as many have mentioned... doing nothing isn't working - it's getting worse.

How about a multi-prong approach to tackle guns and mental health? Then, see what happens over the next decade. Look at what places like German, Finland, Australia and UK have done to lower gun-related suicides, homicides, and mass shootings. See what we can take from them and apply here. Something has to be tried to see if it works because as many have mentioned... doing nothing isn't working - it's getting worse.
Bingo. We need to get serious and go all-in.

I agree with this. Read that article you posted, and it briefly touched on the societal diseases caused by capitalist greed, but I’ll add that all of it is in front of us, but we choose to ignore it.
Can you repost said article. I missed it.

Same here. I have several rifles and shotguns--mostly acquired when I personally confiscated my bipolar father's guns and took them from FL to TX and the others I confiscated when my FIL was diagnosed with dementia. I have my CHL and my 9mm is the only gun I have registered. I go to the range periodically for proficiency, but I have zero clue how I'd use a weapon under extreme stress/fear situations and pray to God I never have to find out. I have no desire to engage a human being with a weapon. None. Zilch.

How does one even go about registering a firearm?

I bought mine used from a gun shop who ran the background check. Is there another step involved in registering firearms or are they registered when purchased from the gun shop?

That is where I'm at too.
Same here. It’s why I’ve changed my view on the 2nd amendment and what should be required to own a firearm. I don’t like what we have become as a society.

In the past couple shootings the teens were posting pictures of their rifles and magazines. So why do they do that?

Reactions: Moral
I agree with you. But if we really want to address this stuff, gotta look broader and deeper. I posted an article that summarizes I think pretty well a sort of diagnosis. Posted it three or four times. Nobody has really touched it. It got a few typical empty-headed reactions, but beyond that it has just kinda sat there.

Reactions: Moral
Mental health is a problem. I also think it’s a joke in terms of diagnosing it and treating it.

tell a bunch of nuts they need to pass a counseling session and they can buy a gun or get out of prison most will likely hold their shit together for a couple hours and say what you want to hear.

just need to have less guns. Force the barrels to be long (ends hand guns) and limit the number of rounds any gun can hold to a handful.

tax the shit out of them and use the funds for gun buybacks. I would hold out hope for some counselor to stop a damn thing. People are posited by social media 24/7.

this shooter in Texas looks like he has some sort of Kylo Ren worship going on. I wouldnt be surprised if he didn’t pattern his look off him. Likely he can pass all the tests to get a gun but privately people that knew him likely thought “god no, he shouldn’t have a gun”. Good luck writing laws that cover that reality.

We agree on more than you think. We definitely agree on the importance of shoes in one’s life.

Same here. It’s why I’ve changed my view on the 2nd amendment and what should be required to own a firearm. I don’t like what we have become as a society.

In the past couple shootings the teens were posting pictures of their rifles and magazines. So why do they do that?

Gun culture is my best guess as I don't know much about the shooters and usually don't get in the weeds with each case. Could also give them a bit of a rush because they know what their intentions are and know the images are showing their intentions but not enough for anyone to stop them. I'm not a criminal profiler either for the record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT