ADVERTISEMENT

I Slept on it and I Think the answer might be licensing and taxing firearms/owners..

I think at a bare minimum we should

* Require a person to be 21 years old to purchase any firearm.
* Require all firearms to be secured and the owners be held criminally liable for any crimes committed with unsecure firearms.
* Require a license similar to a drivers license to purchase firearms. The license requires a clean background check and going through a training course to obtain. License should be shall issue and relatively cheap or free to obtain.
* Make threats no matter if done in person, via text, Facebook or whatever be a criminal offense for which your firearms can be taken and your license suspended.

I should not think those simple steps would be hard to agree on.

Now I personally would like to stop the sale of assault style weapons similar to the assault weapons ban. Yes I know most of those features were cosmetic but those cosmetic features seem to show up on the guns used in nearly all mass shootings. So maybe getting rid of those cosmetic features would help psychologically with people who want to pretend they are a member of SOCOM or John Wick.

I would also consider limiting rifle magazines to 15 rounds. Yes I'm aware of how fast it is to re-load but that is only part of the issue. The other part of the issue is that to carry the same amount of ammo you now have to carry more magazines. Which ultimately means you can't carry nearly as much ammunition that you can quickly re-load as you did before.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Okay I’ll post it again…

Probably on some watch lists at this point, god forbid sacrosanct capitalism be critiqued.

thanks for posting. the truth is strong in this paragraph

Why blame kids for behaving selfishly when our whole society is based on the idea that individuals acting in their own interests produce the optimum economic and social outcomes? This strange theory about human behaviour has helped to create many of the problems we face today as a society, including economic and environmental crises, as well as high levels of social dysfunction, manifesting in suicide, crime, violence, stress, relationship breakdown, child abuse and anti-social behaviour.

Use the $$ generated to finance state mental health programs. Treat firearms like automobiles...license them annually..and tag them. Firearm owners need to be licensed and like a driver’s license, it is renewable every 2-5 years.
The “right” to bear arms is not affected...just made safer for the masses. To exercise your Second Amendment Rights should be as hassle free as American’s right to vote. ;)
And the Sandy Hook kid TOOK is mother's gun. What would a tax do for you there?

* Require all firearms to be secured and the owners be held criminally liable for any crimes committed with unsecure firearms.
* Require a license similar to a drivers license to purchase firearms. The license requires a clean background check and going through a training course to obtain. License should be shall issue and relatively cheap or free to obtain.
* Make threats no matter if done in person, via text, Facebook or whatever be a criminal offense for which your firearms can be taken and your license suspended.

I should not think those simple steps would be hard to agree on.

Now I personally would like to stop the sale of assault style weapons similar to the assault weapons ban. Yes I know most of those features were cosmetic but those cosmetic features seem to show up on the guns used in nearly all mass shootings. So maybe getting rid of those cosmetic features would help psychologically with people who want to pretend they are a member of SOCOM or John Wick.

I would also consider limiting rifle magazines to 15 rounds. Yes I'm aware of how fast it is to re-load but that is only part of the issue. The other part of the issue is that to carry the same amount of ammo you now have to carry more magazines. Which ultimately means you can't carry nearly as much ammunition that you can quickly re-load as you did before.
You can create 10,000 new laws, and just like today, the law abiding will abide by them, criminals/whack jobs won't.

The guy that killed this latest whacko, was a Border Patrol Agent (i.e. a Cop). It was NOT a social worker.

So as far as I'm concerned, if you vote Democrat - DEFUND THE POLICE - you are absolutely 100% part of the problem and I don't want to hear one GD word from you written or spoken. You're at that point 100% hypocrite.

Democrats for decades and more than ever today, are responsible for the large majority of illegal guns on the streets, and for damn sure the criminals that use them. They block every attempt to get many of those guns AND people that routinely use them off the streets because of "feelings". Rinse and repeat, every Fing day.

You celebrate career criminals/pieces of shit like Fentanyl Floyd and Daunte Wright, and then you wonder why bad shit happens to good people.

Unless you're willing to fix these clearly insane Dem "Law and Order" policies, stick your opinion where the sun don't shine. You voted for it, you asked for it, you got it. Live with it.

You can create 10,000 new laws, and just like today, the law abiding will abide by them, criminals/whack jobs won't.

The guy that killed this latest whacko, was a Border Patrol Agent (i.e. a Cop). It was NOT a social worker.

So as far as I'm concerned, if you vote Democrat - DEFUND THE POLICE - you are absolutely 100% part of the problem and I don't want to hear one GD word from you written or spoken. You're at that point 100% hypocrite.

Democrats for decades and more than ever today, are responsible for the large majority of illegal guns on the streets, and for damn sure the criminals that use them. They block every attempt to get many of those guns AND people that routinely use them off the streets because of "feelings". Rinse and repeat, every Fing day.

You celebrate career criminals/pieces of shit like Fentanyl Floyd and Daunte Wright, and then you wonder why bad shit happens to good people.

Unless you're willing to fix these clearly insane Dem "Law and Order" policies, stick your opinion where the sun don't shine. You voted for it, you asked for it, you got it. Live with it.

you definitely drank the kool aid. good luck with that.

SCOTUS has ruled that anything that will chill a right is the same thing as restricting the right. Ammunition is part of 'arms'.
How is providing proof you have a registered gun that uses that particular ammo chilling a right?

thanks for posting. the truth is strong in this paragraph

Why blame kids for behaving selfishly when our whole society is based on the idea that individuals acting in their own interests produce the optimum economic and social outcomes? This strange theory about human behaviour has helped to create many of the problems we face today as a society, including economic and environmental crises, as well as high levels of social dysfunction, manifesting in suicide, crime, violence, stress, relationship breakdown, child abuse and anti-social behaviour.
Yeah but it’s easier to just argue about bandaids. You know?

Sticking with the democrats want to "defund the police" narrative, I see. Refusal to learn is one of the worst things in American society.

You can't stop every mass shooting but laws that make it harder will stop some of them.

Most of these guys did something relatively easy and picked easy targets of opportunity. Because of this they likely had the resolve and/or the intelligence to pull it off if a few barriers where put in their way.

An exception would be the Vegas shooter who showed quite a bit of pre-planning. A few barriers probably would not have stopped him.

Reactions: steelrain
The number of homeowners who have guns has actually gone down over the last 60 years. https://news.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx

What has changed is the culture: https://thefederalist.com/2022/05/2...ey-were-50-years-ago-but-our-sick-culture-is/

Guns are not going away, politically impossible, with, or without the NRA. Find the root cause of gun violence and change that.

Ahh but the number of guns has gone up (less households own them but they own more guns), the restrictions on guns have actually gone down, and the popularity of tacticool rifles like the AR-15 have SKYROCKETED.

It's not just our family culture that has broken but our culture around guns has also broken.

And I might be more apt to take the right seriously about the broken family culture if they didn't elect a man who has been married 3 times to 3 still living wives and cheated on all 3 of those wives to the presidency.

The whole "God and Family" bit has been thrown out by the Republicans except when they want to explain mass shootings. That's the only time they actually care about this shit. Otherwise they elect and re-elect serial adulterers. Shoot I think it was in Tennessee that they had a house rep there who was caught not only having committed adultery but also encouraging his mistress to get an abortion. And they still re-elected him!!! "Pro-life for thee but not for me." (For the record I'm 100% pro-life and I will be glad to see Roe gone. But to go along with that I have never encouraged a woman to get an abortion, I have never assisted a woman in getting an abortion, and I would never want any of my children aborted and I purposefully married someone who felt the same way.)

If the right wants to be a party of social conservatism that believes in protecting the stability of the family. . . I for one more than welcome that. But protecting the stability of the family applies to more than just something deflect blame from guns (which play their part too.) and goes into providing moral leadership AND goes into protecting the financial security of the family too. Which means things like paid parental leave and universal healthcare. If the Republicans got into that stuff and believed in democracy again, I would be more than happy to give them my vote.

Use the $$ generated to finance state mental health programs. Treat firearms like automobiles...license them annually..and tag them. Firearm owners need to be licensed and like a driver’s license, it is renewable every 2-5 years.
The “right” to bear arms is not affected...just made safer for the masses. To exercise your Second Amendment Rights should be as hassle free as American’s right to vote. ;)
Can we license voters?

Yeah but it’s easier to just argue about bandaids. You know?
Two things can be true at the same time. We can have a problem with our culture of selfishness AND we can have a problem with guns/gun culture.

And the "well-regulated militia" part you conveniently "forgot"? Or did you just come here to regurgitate what your fellow 2A nutjobs are regurgitating on Twitter?

Bingo. We need to get serious and go all-in.
If you and you dipshit buddies would quit attacking me, you realize we are asking for the same thing. The only difference is, I admit what it will take to make it happen.

So many of these ideas that people keep throwing out there have already been ruled against.

The sooner the anti gun people understand the the 2nd does protect peoples right to own firearms the sooner they understand what needs to happen. We need to repeal the 2nd.

Reactions: NCHawk5
You do realize there is no federal registration, right? Never has been. A handful of states have them.
That could be changed with action from Congress. I know you care about kids, what do you think can be done while keeping the 2nd amendment intact that might help lessen mass shootings?

That could be changed with action from Congress. I know you care about kids, what do you think can be done while keeping the 2nd amendment intact that might help lessen mass shootings?
Canada actually tried a registration. With only a fraction of guns that the US has, it was scrapped after 10s of millions in cost overruns and only a fraction of guns registered. Officials admitted it only showed them what they already knew.

A registration will never happen in the US.

Reactions: NCHawk5

Realistic.
Unrealistic, and likely unenforceable.
Dems cry Racism! when anyone suggests voter ID. How is this any different?

Fascism. Reeks of a Police State. Not enforceable.

Stoop.

Clear and well thought out. Free of emotion.

• Haha
I'm fine with registering weapons, once.......and then again upon sale or transfer. I'm not ok with a license that needs to be renewed.

Make the legal age to purchase a semi-automatic rifle 21. The same as handguns. That should help with the issue of the recent shootings. Of course it wouldn’t prevent these teens from buying illegally but it will help to ease the obsession these weirdos had with their weapons.

The 2nd would be a national requirement to have passed a Hunter safety course or firearm course in order to own a firearm. Folks that have already passed a course will be good. Those that haven’t will need to within a 2 year period. Any new gun owner will need to go through a training prior to purchase.

Those are some pretty easy solutions that shouldn’t get 2nd amendment supporters upset.
What about include prior military as "qualified training" I'm not sitting through a really poorly presented hunter safety course to keep my firearms. Of course, I could be convinced that a training course is necessary for a weapon you have never purchased in the past, ie...handgun.

Reactions: 24 so far
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT