ADVERTISEMENT

I Talked to Logan Jones Today

TJFant

HR All-State
Oct 1, 2019
I spoke with Logan Jones today as he was working out at the Council Bluffs YMCA. He said that both he and Tyler Elsbury were asked to try center 2 weeks ago as Myslinski is still hurt and there really wasn't anyone with much experience at the position going into spring practice. He said that he weighs in at 285 and would like to get to 290 which he feels is his best playing weight. He shared that Linderbaum is an unbelievable football player and trying to fill his shoes is basically impossible. He is definitely a weight room workout warrior as his body fat content can't be much. He is as nice and respectful of a young man as you will find!

I spoke with Logan Jones today as he was working out at the Council Bluffs YMCA. He said that both he and Tyler Elsbury were asked to try center 2 weeks ago as Myslinski is still hurt and there really wasn't anyone with much experience at the position going into spring practice. He said that he weighs in at 285 and would like to get to 290 which he feels is his best playing weight. He shared that Linderbaum is an unbelievable football player and trying to fill his shoes is basically impossible. He is definitely a weight room workout warrior as his body fat content can't be much. He is as nice and respectful of a young man as you will find!
Thanks for the update. What is the injury Myslinksi is dealing with?

Thanks for sharing that. Elsbury should have the advantage since he's been on offense from day one. But LJ could be another natural.

Reactions: David1979
Hmm.. Was hoping for some improvement out of the oline this year. Not having a servicable center identified yet could be a problem come fall.
What makes you think Jones or Elsbury aren’t serviceable??

Last edited:
What makes you think Jones or Elsbury aren’t serviceable??
Well they're probably not today as they were just asked 2 weeks ago to try it out. There's going to be a learning curve to become Big 10 proficient at any position. The offense was bad last year and the oline was a big part of that. They lost far and away the best part of what was not really a servicable oline last year. The fact that there isn't an experienced center coming in to replace him in March is less than ideal. It's Spring so there is a lot of time to recover and one or both of these guys might end up being very good at center. We just don't know, but today they are being asked to learn a new position.

Reactions: dbrocket
I play golf with a number of LC coaches, past and present, and the previous LC athletic director. To a man they all have the highest regard for Logan as a person, very intelligent, unbelievably dedicated and the hardest worker you will find. His weight room records thru two years are a testament to his personal attributes. His injured knee appears to be fully healed or he wouldn't have been able to squat 645 pounds. Hopefully he hasn't lost any speed as he continues to bulk up and bounce back from the knee injury. Come May 1 we will all know if Logan or Tyler Elsbury is the answer at center!

I play golf with a number of LC coaches, past and present, and the previous LC athletic director. To a man they all have the highest regard for Logan as a person, very intelligent, unbelievably dedicated and the hardest worker you will find. His weight room records thru two years are a testament to his personal attributes. His injured knee appears to be fully healed or he wouldn't have been able to squat 645 pounds. Hopefully he hasn't lost any speed as he continues to bulk up and bounce back from the knee injury. Come May 1 we will all know if Logan or Tyler Elsbury is the answer at center!

We won't know for sure until the bullets start flying in September.

Yes. And he was playing OG in 2004 with Bruggeman as the nasty Center
I think your mistaken. Rob B was the center in 2007-2008. Bruggeman was the center when Shonne Greene won the Doak Walker. Mike Elgin played center when Brian was out injured and I think they both played some guard and center when BF returned. We didn't lose another game after that, and that was with Sam Brownlee as basically our only healthy RB......

Last edited:
Is Myslinski's career over? How bad is this injury?

This could be much to do about nothing. Could be developing some depth.

Elsbury is now where he should be contributing and possibly starting, albeit maybe a new position.

I think your mistaken. Rob B was the center in 2007-2008. Bruggeman was the center when Shonne Greene won the Doak Walker. Mike Elgin played center when Brian was out injured and I think they both played some guard and center when BF returned. We didn't lose another game after that, and that was with Sam Brownlee as basically our only healthy RB......
Correct. Got my years confused. Thanks
Is Myslinski's career over? How bad is this injury?

This could be much to do about nothing. Could be developing some depth.

Elsbury is now where he should be contributing and possibly starting, albeit maybe a new position.
will probably learn more about Myslinski today in KF presser. Since not listed, I am assuming he is not going to be able to participate in spring practice due to injury but that is just assumption

Reactions: kceasthawk
He was nasty as a center.
I was there when he entered the game for the first time after his knee infection
Tell you what, for whatever criticism of Brian you want, he'll ALWAYS be a Hawk for me for what he endured and came back from in 2004 to lead Iowa's OL at the end of that season....
When BF entered that first game back you could see the difference in play. It was Linderbaum good.

I was there when he entered the game for the first time after his knee infection

When BF entered that first game back you could see the difference in play. It was Linderbaum good.
Brian was average at best and probably holds the Hawkeye record for bad snaps. Never was in the same galaxy with Linderbaum!

Brian was average at best and probably holds the Hawkeye record for bad snaps. Never was in the same galaxy with Linderbaum!
This is stupid.

Be mad at him as an OC all you want, he was a 3-year starter and all-conference as a senior, and played in the NFL. He was not "average at best". Also, every other center in Iowa history isn't as good as Linderbaum, so not sure that's much of a dig either.

This is stupid.

Be mad at him as an OC all you want, he was a 3-year starter and all-conference as a senior, and played in the NFL. He was not "average at best". Also, every other center in Iowa history isn't as good as Linderbaum, so not sure that's much of a dig either.
The comparison to Linderbaum relates to FanOHawks statement that when BF returned to the lineup after his knee infection that he was "Linderbaum good." Ridiculous statement. BF was Honorable Mention by the Media in 2005 which means that one Iowa reporter probably voted for him, no votes in the Coaches. His NFL career was one year on the Falcons practice squad and my understanding never made the active roster then was cut. He was signed the next year by the Saints, went to camp, and cut on September 2, so again never saw the field in a regular NFL game. So Frosty, I have to refute your statement that Brian Ferentz played in the NFL because I can find no record that he ever played in an NFL game.I would love to see proof that he did and I will be more than happy to eat crow. But until then, your assertions don't seem to be very accurate!

The comparison to Linderbaum relates to FanOHawks statement that when BF returned to the lineup after his knee infection that he was "Linderbaum good." Ridiculous statement. BF was Honorable Mention by the Media in 2005 which means that one Iowa reporter probably voted for him, no votes in the Coaches. His NFL career was one year on the Falcons practice squad and my understanding never made the active roster then was cut. He was signed the next year by the Saints, went to camp, and cut on September 2, so again never saw the field in a regular NFL game. So Frosty, I have to refute your statement that Brian Ferentz played in the NFL because I can find no record that he ever played in an NFL game.I would love to see proof that he did and I will be more than happy to eat crow. But until then, your assertions don't seem to be very accurate!
That's not how Honorable Mention voting works. At all.

Brian was on the Saints active roster the year after he left the Falcons. Even then, that's an incorrect statement because on an NFL roster, active or practice, is very much "playing in the NFL". They don't hand out practice squad spots as favors.

That's not how Honorable Mention voting works. At all.

Brian was on the Saints active roster the year after he left the Falcons. Even then, that's an incorrect statement because on an NFL roster, active or practice, is very much "playing in the NFL". They don't hand out practice squad spots as favors.
So, according to you, any of the 25-40 free agent players who sign a contract, go to camp, and are cut before the season starts each year "played in the NFL?" Two players that I have known quite well who were in NFL camps and were cut before the NFL season started would strongly disagree. Stan Standifer from Omaha University signed a free agent contract with the Rams in the late 60s and Jack Thomas from Iowa State signed a free agent contract with the Saints in the late 70s and both were cut prior to the start of their rookie seasons. Amazingly enough neither ever considered themselves as an NFL player. Granted, Ferentz did stay on the Falcons practice squad for his entire rookie season but again never made the active roster and never got close to the field in an NFL game except as a coach for Belichick. Exhibition games are not NFL games. Plus the short time BF was with the Saints, his contract and time was just like the other 30 wannabes who were cut before the season started. You really have a way of blowing up Brian and his accomplishments.

If an NFL team pays a player that player is very clearly an NFL player. You're a professional when you get paid to play in a professional league. I cannot imagine a brighter line distinction.

Reactions: Frosty7130
So, according to you, any of the 25-40 free agent players who sign a contract, go to camp, and are cut before the season starts each year "played in the NFL?" Two players that I have known quite well who were in NFL camps and were cut before the NFL season started would strongly disagree. Stan Standifer from Omaha University signed a free agent contract with the Rams in the late 60s and Jack Thomas from Iowa State signed a free agent contract with the Saints in the late 70s and both were cut prior to the start of their rookie seasons. Amazingly enough neither ever considered themselves as an NFL player. Granted, Ferentz did stay on the Falcons practice squad for his entire rookie season but again never made the active roster and never got close to the field in an NFL game except as a coach for Belichick. Exhibition games are not NFL games. Plus the short time BF was with the Saints, his contract and time was just like the other 30 wannabes who were cut before the season started. You really have a way of blowing up Brian and his accomplishments.
Both of them played in the NFL. This is not a hard concept to grasp. Those "wannabes" were more of a professional player than 95% of anyone who's ever played football at the collegiate level (including myself), and I suspect you're even farther away from that group.

How am I "blowing up" his accomplishments? Where did I claim he was an All-American or anything like that? Giving credit for earned accomplishments isn't hard. I can't stand Scott Frost and think he's a shitty coach, but I can acknowledge he was a good player too.

ADVERTISEMENT