ADVERTISEMENT

I think the Meyer trial is over

The only thing to me that demonstrates wrongfull termination, was her perception of her firing. Waste of taxpayer money.

I am sick & ****ing tired of her & her wife saying they are unemployable. Go get a ****ing job at Target like the rest of us would be forced to do.

The biggest problem in the defense's case is that none of the complaints against her were documented. The plaintiff entered into evidence several thank you notes from some of the same people now complaining about her. I could see the jury thinking that all of these witnesses are colluding with their employer against her.

Having said that, if the testimony was all 100% true from Ferentz, Brands, Barta, etc., then she shouldn't win.

Don't know that it would/will be the deciding factor but when I read that barta never included her in his get togethers on Friday night home games while including others from the office I cringed. That is a huge potential liability and management 101 of things not to do. What a dolt!

The biggest problem in the defense's case is that none of the complaints against her were documented. The plaintiff entered into evidence several thank you notes from some of the same people now complaining about her. I could see the jury thinking that all of these witnesses are colluding with their employer against her.

Having said that, if the testimony was all 100% true from Ferentz, Brands, Barta, etc., then she shouldn't win.
This is inexcusable on Barta's part. If complaints are becoming so numerous, you better write that sh!t down at some point.

The only thing to me that demonstrates wrongfull termination, was her perception of her firing. Waste of taxpayer money.

I am sick & ****ing tired of her & her wife saying they are unemployable. Go get a ****ing job at Target like the rest of us would be forced to do.
Hey easy bro I work for Target!

Management 101: Keep records of everything. I've never been a Barta fan, and this trial, no matter how it comes out, hasn't changed my opinion of him. And those who say yah, but look at all the money he's brought it in, etc., etc. Why would anyone think that money was given BECAUSE Gary Barta is the AD? Hawkeye fans have been giving money since day 1, not because of who has the title of AD, but because they're Hawkeye fans. Ronald McDonald could be Iowa's AD, and the money would keep on flowin'. And never, ever forget that Barta hired perhaps the most unqualified coach in the country to run Iowa's basketball program into the ground. Barta clearly did no substantive research into Todd L., or that never would have happened. Brad Stevens ran that Butler program, but Barta was oblivious, just as he apparently is to most things.

This is inexcusable on Barta's part. If complaints are becoming so numerous, you better write that sh!t down at some point.

Yeah I don't get why this wasn't done, or why someone didn't advise him to do so. It appears that Barta didn't like to email with staff because all of those emails are potential subjects of FOIA (Freedom of Information) requests. A bit paranoid, but I do get that. Even if not emailing, he could keep notes on his computer or even in a hand-written notebook that would prove he was documenting a pattern of unacceptable performance. And he should have been using emails as follow up with Meyer with his specific issues with her performance. That would help him prove the pattern of poor performance. And I can't believe he didn't require Ferentz or Brands to send to him -- in writing -- examples of where she was dropping the ball. Brands' testimony this week is all well and good, but it should have been documented at the time and dealt with then.

At this point, I would not be surprised at any verdict, including for the plaintiff with damages. And that will roll right into the suit Griesbaum brought over her firing. Good times.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
Management 101: Keep records of everything. I've never been a Barta fan, and this trial, no matter how it comes out, hasn't changed my opinion of him. And those who say yah, but look at all the money he's brought it in, etc., etc. Why would anyone think that money was given BECAUSE Gary Barta is the AD? Hawkeye fans have been giving money since day 1, not because of who has the title of AD, but because they're Hawkeye fans. Ronald McDonald could be Iowa's AD, and the money would keep on flowin'. And never, ever forget that Barta hired perhaps the most unqualified coach in the country to run Iowa's basketball program into the ground. Barta clearly did no substantive research into Todd L., or that never would have happened. Brad Stevens ran that Butler program, but Barta was oblivious, just as he apparently is to most things.

No question. This should be a slam dunk for Iowa, but due to the incompetence of the AD, they have a serious battle on their hands

They are unemployable because they want a job that they don't have to work very hard and it is almost impossible to get fired. Yet they managed to get fired. Good riddance.

Don't know that it would/will be the deciding factor but when I read that barta never included her in his get togethers on Friday night home games while including others from the office I cringed. That is a huge potential liability and management 101 of things not to do. What a dolt!

He said, under oath, meeting with those type of folks was never part of her job. He said this was true of several people from the department and they didn't attend either. FWIW

Reactions: terrehawk
Problem with that argument is she is saying her termination and not being invited was due to her gender and sexual orientation, while Jan Janson and her partner were frequent at these events-female homosexual. 1+1 doesn't equal 3

Reactions: terrehawk
Did i read that the field hockey coach felt she was facing discrimination by being held to standards similar to that of the men coaches?

You two need to zip up your hard ons for Barta. Ridiculous

Dude, thinking the guy isn't doing his job well and should be removed isn't having "a hard on" for him. You now have documented, under oath, testimony/proof that he didn't do what is expected of someone in his position. As many have pointed out above, when you're in charge of people, you keep records of everything--EVERYTHING--that is disciplinary or even close to it when dealing with those folks.

He said, under oath, meeting with those type of folks was never part of her job. He said this was true of several people from the department and they didn't attend either. FWIW
It's not a matter of she didn't attend. It's a matter of she wasn't invited. If I'm understanding it correctly.

Dude, thinking the guy isn't doing his job well and should be removed isn't having "a hard on" for him. You now have documented, under oath, testimony/proof that he didn't do what is expected of someone in his position. As many have pointed out above, when you're in charge of people, you keep records of everything--EVERYTHING--that is disciplinary or even close to it when dealing with those folks.
Thank you.

Barta is an awful AD. Anyone with half a brain should understand this. He's good at begging for money. Nice. Put him on the phones in the alumni association and walk away from that idiot!

Reactions: BDJHawk

Out of state with no real exposure to the trial. Was unaware of further testimony by barta regarding this but it is still a slippery slope. Trials have a lot more in common with theater than maybe we all would like so it only matters how the jurors interpret the he said/she said.

Personally would like to see the university win and then fire barta using this as rationale.

Out of state with no real exposure to the trial. Was unaware of further testimony by barta regarding this but it is still a slippery slope. Trials have a lot more in common with theater than maybe we all would like so it only matters how the jurors interpret the he said/she said.

Personally would like to see the university win and then fire barta using this as rationale.
I agree and would add... regardless of the outcome, Barta needs to be reevaluated concerning his future. The financial stability and revenue being generated is more likely the result of conference affiliation moreso than Barta's efforts.

Barta is an awful AD. Anyone with half a brain should understand this. He's good at begging for money. Nice. Put him on the phones in the alumni association and walk away from that idiot!
Not sure why everybody thinks he's so awful? I mean we have continued to upgrade facilities and all the major sports have stayed the same and/or improved since he started
Football, women's basketball, golf and wrestling stayed about the same and are very good
Volleyball, men's basketball, track, gymnastics and baseball have improved,.....some significantly

I mean softballcould use a boost and field hockey was a bit messy and some other who gives a crap sports but all in all I'm OK

Isn't Jane Meyer's suit about sexual orientation and gender discrimination. While the paper trail would have made it even easier for the UI to win this. I don't see how Newkirk has proven she was discriminated by gender or sexual orientation. That was their job in the hope of winning this case.

Last edited:
Isn't Jane Meyer's suit abought sexual orientation and gender discrimination. While the paper trail would have made it even easier for the UI to win this. I don't see how Newkirk has proven she was discriminated by gender or sexual orientation. That was their job in the hope of winning this case.
Agreed

Reactions: wdhawk
Not sure why everybody thinks he's so awful? I mean we have continued to upgrade facilities and all the major sports have stayed the same and/or improved since he started
Football, women's basketball, golf and wrestling stayed about the same and are very good
Volleyball, men's basketball, track, gymnastics and baseball have improved,.....some significantly

I mean softballcould use a boost and field hockey was a bit messy and some other who gives a crap sports but all in all I'm OK
Tell me how many conference titles we won last year? Or the year before? As another poster already said, the money is always there for Iowa sports and it ain't because of Gary Barta. It'll be there long after he's gone.

Reactions: JoelBittner
Tell me how many conference titles we won last year? Or the year before? As another poster already said, the money is always there for Iowa sports and it ain't because of Gary Barta. It'll be there long after he's gone.
I am not saying I would like to continue to improve, I am just saying that all programs are maintaining and improving that I care about. I think football and basketball-even after the Lick years- are in good shape this year and years to come, wrestling is top 3 (although its #1 or bust), baseball is doing unprecedented things, women hoops are maintaining and recruiting better than I can remember, volleyball was bottom of Big ten for ever and are now looking pretty good.....I am optimistic about the direction of all of the Iowa's sports that I actually remotely care about.....so I am fine, feel free to jump off the ledge though if you must

I am not saying I would like to continue to improve, I am just saying that all programs are maintaining and improving that I care about. I think football and basketball-even after the Lick years- are in good shape this year and years to come, wrestling is top 3 (although its #1 or bust), baseball is doing unprecedented things, women hoops are maintaining and recruiting better than I can remember, volleyball was bottom of Big ten for ever and are now looking pretty good.....I am optimistic about the direction of all of the Iowa's sports that I actually remotely care about.....so I am fine, feel free to jump off the ledge though if you must
Yes. We are maintaining. Maintaining the no BIG titles in any sport trend.

Good is the enemy of great, as long as you can accept that.

I'm not a juror, but if I was, I have not seen one scintilla of evidence indicating that Meyer was fired because she was gay. I have seen enough to know that Meyer was irate that her partner was fired, and she would not let it go, resulting in her being reassigned, and ultimately reducing her value to the department. school.

Reactions: ChosenChildren
Isn't Jane Meyer's suit abought sexual orientation and gender discrimination. While the paper trail would have made it even easier for the UI to win this. I don't see how Newkirk has proven she was discriminated by gender or sexual orientation. That was their job in the hope of winning this case.

I would agree with this. Nothing mentioned in the trial has proven that she was fired for her sexual orientation. But a lot of other issues have been brought in (the Griesbaum firing) that could cloud the issue. Probably the strongest moment of the trial for the defense was Bluder's 5-minute testimony when she said Barta was aware of the assistant's orientation and had no problems with it whatsoever.

But who knows what will happen with a jury.

ADVERTISEMENT