ADVERTISEMENT

I think this gets to the heart of Trump's "unlikability" factor......

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
This is from British writer Nate White. I think having some distance (i.e. being British) gives him a decent perspective. I can't really argue with his observations:

Someone asked "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?"

Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England, wrote this magnificent response:

"A few things spring to mind.

Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem.

For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.

So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing - not once, ever.

I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility - for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.

But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.

And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults - he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.

There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface.

Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.

Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.

Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that.

He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat.

He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.

And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.

That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.

There are unspoken rules to this stuff - the Queensberry rules of basic decency - and he breaks them all. He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless - and he kicks them when they are down.

So the fact that a significant minority - perhaps a third - of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
* Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.
* You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.

After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.

He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.

In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:

'My God… what… have… I… created?

If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set."

Some spot on comments in that piece. In particular that Trump views caustic comments and put downs as the same things as humor. Look, I live in HROT part time, but in real life healthy adults do not view attempting to tear down others as a positive goal, or as being funny.
Quite simply, Trump is a boor and a bully.

For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace.
Stopped reading after this gem. Author is an idiot. Argue you don't like his politics, or suggest he has temperament issues - fine. But this statement is asinine and the gross stupidity required to make it invalidates any other thought the guy has on the matter. And pandering this slop isn't a good look for you either, torbee.

Stopped reading after this gem. Author is an idiot. Argue you don't like his politics, or suggest he has temperament issues - fine. But this statement is asinine and the gross stupidity required to make it invalidates any other thought the guy has on the matter. And pandering this slop isn't a good look for you either, torbee.
I'd be willing to hear you offer up some examples of those missing qualities that Trump lacks, if you think you can find any.

Even his most ardent supporters know he prides himself on being an asshole.

This is from British writer Nate White. I think having some distance (i.e. being British) gives him a decent perspective. I can't really argue with his observations:

Someone asked "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?"

Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England, wrote this magnificent response:

"A few things spring to mind.

Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem.

For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.

So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing - not once, ever.

I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility - for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.

But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.

And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults - he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.

There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface.

Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.

Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.

Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that.

He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat.

He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.

And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.

That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.

There are unspoken rules to this stuff - the Queensberry rules of basic decency - and he breaks them all. He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless - and he kicks them when they are down.

So the fact that a significant minority - perhaps a third - of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
* Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.
* You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.

After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.

He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.

In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:

'My God… what… have… I… created?

If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set."
Might be a little too harsh. But I think it was written for comedic effect too.

The only quibble I have is that Trump appears to care deeply for his children or at least some of them. He's made Don Jr and Eric leaders of his company. He got his daughter and son in law positions in the White House. He's made several statements regarding Ivanka's beauty and his attraction to her.

Reactions: unIowa
I'd be willing to hear you offer up some examples of those missing qualities that Trump lacks, if you think you can find any.

Even his most ardent supporters know he prides himself on being an asshole.

That's why they are his ardent supporters.

Reactions: naturalmwa
yeah, I got to the humor part- totally disagree with this author. when trump says jokes about dems it is roll on the floor laughter. he has the delivery, live and on tv, that is awesome. he might not have the snootiness that brits have in upper forms of government , but who cares? we are in the usa.

I think more people need to write about and understand the likeability factor and how popular he is and how that got him elected. and how unlikeable the dems are. and how this will get him re-elected in 2020.

Reactions: KenBiscutmit
The only quibble I have is that Trump appears to care deeply for his children or at least some of them. He's made Don Jr and Eric leaders of his company. He got his daughter and son in law positions in the White House. He's made several statements regarding Ivanka's beauty and his attraction to her.
In a demented way. If you take the time to read TDS books like Growing Up Trump, Trump On The Couch, or Kushner Inc, you see how a raging narcissist produces deeply dysfunctional children. Trump's parents were dysfunctional, and it shows in Donald. When he had kids he was emotionally distant, and repeatedly set up scenarios where his kids had to compete to gain his approval. I guess if you are Donald this is a success, because he has Ivanka lying for him, and Little Don literally so desperate for his father's approval that he'd go to prison for him.

Because.....they're reflections on him..

Trump literally ran on being politically incorrect. You, his supporters, cheered everytime he chanted lock her up, Low Energy Jeb, Crooked HIllary, Little Marco and so forth. Pussy grabbing? No problem. Fast food in the White House? Yes, please. Childish tweets? Can we have some more. The author is spot on in this critique.

Who would have ever thought that a bunch of posters who eat, breathe, sleep, and sh1t Trump hatred see this as spot on?

Some of it is correct.

Who would have ever thought that a bunch of posters who eat, breathe, sleep, and sh1t Trump hatred see this as spot on?

Some of it is correct.
It is all correct. Nobody can say with a straight face that Trump does anything with class or acts at all dignified in any situation. It's like a bull in a china shop no matter where you take him.

Some of it is correct.

Which parts do you disagree with?

I guess in addition to my previous post, I think he had a couple of instances of wit in the debates. Which may be evidence that his sense of humor is beyond mean spirited attacks, while the author claims "not once, ever"

Actually, they agree 100%.

He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

“And by the way, never wrestle him. Do you understand that? Never,” Trump deadpanned, pausing for a moment to soak in the roaring crowd. “Any guy who can do a body slam — he’s my kind of guy,” the president continued, using his hands to mimic a body flipping onto the ground.

That is in no way a "joke".

It is all correct. Nobody can say with a straight face that Trump does anything with class or acts at all dignified in any situation. It's like a bull in a china shop no matter where you take him.
I find it hilarious that Trump supporters take umbrage at this description.

Being an uncouth bully is literally his platform.

For God sake, at least own that.

You're kidding, right? He put them there to keep it in the family. He "cares" for his children in the way a mafia boss might "care" for his lieutenants. They're necessary and useful but ultimately expendable.

Trump literally ran on being politically incorrect. You, his supporters, cheered everytime he chanted lock her up, Low Energy Jeb, Crooked HIllary, Little Marco and so forth. Pussy grabbing? No problem. Fast food in the White House? Yes, please. Childish tweets? Can we have some more. The author is spot on in this critique.
All reasonable things to note and, if you disapprove, to complain about. And yet none of what you just said addresses what I commented on. Not in the least.

I find it hilarious that Trump supporters take umbrage at this description.

Being an uncouth bully is literally his platform.

For God sake, at least own that.
They only own it when he does it to piss of liberals, the media, Republicans who oppose him, and the rest of the world. When it isn't convenient, they suddenly pretend that he is a class act.

Which parts do you disagree with?

I guess in addition to my previous post, I think he had a couple of instances of wit in the debates. Which may be evidence that his sense of humor is beyond mean spirited attacks, while the author claims "not once, ever"

I appreciate where you're coming from, but honestly, it would be pointless for me to even try to list any of them.

Trump's not a great person and he has many faults. But as you alluded to, the speaking in absolutes (not once, not ever) is what I take issue with and as I stated before, it is shocker that people who hate Trump would completely agree with this!

Reactions: ThorneStockton
You're kidding, right? He put them there to keep it in the family. He "cares" for his children in the way a mafia boss might "care" for his lieutenants. They're necessary and useful but ultimately expendable.

I am kidding, yes. It was intended to be humorous that the only possible redeeming part about him is that he may cares for "some" of his children and the examples include nepotism and a unhealthy/creepy physical attraction to his daughter. Even the most simple and expected trait of caring for ones children is somehow tarnished in Trump's world.

I am kidding, yes. It was intended to be humorous that the only possible redeeming part about him is that he may cares for "some" of his children and the examples include nepotism and a unhealthy/creepy physical attraction to his daughter. Even the most simple and expected trait of caring for ones children is somehow tarnished in Trump's world.
I actually realized that when I reread your post. :) Just woke up from a nap and I was a bit hazy.

I do like the mafia reference, though.

I appreciate where you're coming from, but honestly, it would be pointless for me to even try to list any of them.

Trump's not a great person and he has many faults. But as you alluded to, the speaking in absolutes (not once, not ever) is what I take issue with and as I stated before, it is shocker that people who hate Trump would completely agree with this!

Yeah, I suppose the use of qualifiers and exceptions would take away some of the impact/strength/message of the piece.

I also don't think Trump has any problem with the gays, ironically he manages to pair that with selecting Pence... I also recall him displaying what seemed like genuine concern for victims, I think it was one of the mass shootings we had, can't recall which. So while, those are kind of a low bar, he's not a total monster.

Reactions: Pepperman
All reasonable things to note and, if you disapprove, to complain about. And yet none of what you just said addresses what I commented on. Not in the least.
Seriously, though - can you actually give an example of him being classy, witty or charming?

It's a very raw assessment... but he nails it. It will make his ardent supporters bristle and immediately come to his rescue. That's another good thing about the piece- it identifies the true Trump supporter.

I'm so thankful that I have never supported him, and did not vote for him. It will be interesting to see how the social and political culture and climate change as a result of his presence in American government and politics. He's always been about the exterior, the veneer. He's been a con-artist his entire life. He even embraces that about himself!

Seriously, though - can you actually give an example of him being classy, witty or charming?
He's all of those things to people who support him. It's been an interesting ride. It's like a "Through The Looking Glass" episode... if there was such a show.

It's a very raw assessment... but he nails it. It will make his ardent supporters bristle and immediately come to his rescue. That's another good thing about the piece- it identifies the true Trump supporter.

I'm so thankful that I have never supported him, and did not vote for him. It will be interesting to see how the social and political culture and climate change as a result of his presence in American government and politics. He's always been about the exterior, the veneer. He's been a con-artist his entire life. He even embraces that about himself!
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you on the right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT