ADVERTISEMENT

I think we have a great chance at Xavier Foster & DJ Carton; but what if we strike out on 1 or both?

Prohm coaches Wigginton and he coached Cameron Payne. He is putting guys in the NBA. Whether you like it or not, it is fact.

I dont care either way.

My point is its irrelevant to DJ Carton.

Wigginton is a perfect example. He has a shot at the nba because of his natural talent, not because of anything Prohm has done.

LW would have the exact same shot under any coach. So will Carton.

Does Prohm even have a rolodex?

Like I asked before with no response. Doesn't isu have a board you can go spend some time on? Or is lil brother that obsessed with what Iowa is doing?

Still had excellent attendance even in a down year with a superb recruiting class coming in.
ISU averaged 14,275 in 15 home games last year, Iowa averaged 12,547 in 20. ISU had 11 of their 15 home games against P5 opponents, while Iowa's pathetic pre-season schedule was largely the reason the difference was even 1,700 per game. I think you're blowing this attendance thing up a little too much.

No, just Marble, who turned out All Big and Bohannon, who was All Freshman. Fran has a very good record of developing point guards including at Sienna. His problem has been getting them to come to Iowa, not development.
Bohannon and Marble aren't pgs.

ISU averaged 14,275 in 15 home games last year, Iowa averaged 12,547 in 20. ISU had 11 of their 15 home games against P5 opponents, while Iowa's pathetic pre-season schedule was largely the reason the difference was even 1,700 per game. I think you're blowing this attendance thing up a little too much.
Hawks give away tickets in all the dorms and Greek system, and call them paid attendance

Tom Crean was a better recruiter than Archie. Carton would be Archie’s highest rated recruit ever. Crean pulled in 5-6 recruits higher rated than Carton and a few top ten nationally ranked classes.
Archie landed a commitment from #6 Romeo Langford yesterday, giving him his 3rd top 100 recruit in this class and the number 7 class overall. In less than a year at IU he has already landed a class and player more highly rated than any of Crean's and IU lands the top recruit from Indiana for the first time since Eric Gordon in 2007. Archie>Crean

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Bohannon and Marble aren't pgs.
Fran made them good ones for Iowa, even more impressive. Imagine what DJ must think if Fran can turn two SG's into great PG's. Fran also coached McClinton and Hasbrouck at Sienna too. You're logic doesn't pass, go back to your Cytwins account.

Archie landed a commitment from #6 Romeo Langford yesterday, giving him his 3rd top 100 recruit in this class and the number 7 class overall. In less than a year at IU he has already landed a class and player more highly rated than any of Crean's and IU lands the top recruit from Indiana for the first time since Eric Gordon in 2007. Archie>Crean

Not bad for a first class. He got everyone he wanted and has the number one class in the B1G. He is going to continue to recruit top notch talent.

As far as Carton goes tOSU and Michigan are going be hard to beat for his services.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Let me know when 60 year old guards are the target for recruiters, and I will acknowledge your point.

You can deny that program/university cachet doesn’t matter to recruits all you want but the reality is that it does matter to many of them. Lots of kids will pick ‘name’ programs over those with a lesser image.

You can also deny that Iowa — both the basketball program as well as the university in general — has an overall image superior to that of ISU but you would again be denying reality. That hasn’t changed in 100 years and likely will never change. Sorry.

I have no idea whether such things matter to Carton but if they do, Iowa will certainly have the edge over ISU in this department, just as Michigan or Kansas will have the edge over Iowa.

There’s definitely a ‘name’ pecking order and ISU basketball falls somewhere above South Dakota State and below Creighton.

Last edited:
You can deny that program/university cachet doesn’t matter to recruits all you want but the reality is that it does matter to many of them. Lots of kids will pick ‘name’ programs over those with a lesser image.

You can also deny that Iowa — both the basketball program as well as the university in general — has an overall image superior to that of ISU but you would again be denying reality. That hasn’t changed in 100 years and likely will never change. Sorry.

I have no idea whether such things matter to Carton but if they do, Iowa will certainly have the edge over ISU in this department, just as Michigan or Kansas will have the edge over Iowa.

There’s definitely a ‘name’ pecking order and ISU basketball falls somewhere above South Dakota State and below Creighton.

Explanations and/or links for this info bolded or I can't believe this isn't made up. I'm not necessarily disagreeing (other than perhaps the Iowa Bball program has a superior image than ISU's, but I'd have to define and research that to make such a claim), I just don't know that I believe you can back this up and didn't make it up

Paige grew up a North Carolina fan, while Hinrich and Morris never got offers from iowa.

I don’t think that Hinrich would’ve gone to iowa but Morris would have. Heck the only reason he went to Iowa State is because Derek Walton beat him to the punch at Michigan.

Have we even offered a point guard in the past two classes?

Im not sure, don't remember. Sure seems like a mistake if we didn't. Bringing in two bigs was not a good move for last years team. Two ballhandlers would have made so much more sense.

But Fran has been missing on his top pg choices the entire time he has been here going all the way back to Guerrero.

Part of the problem has been not offering enough guys who can fill that role vs offering guys Fran thinks can play multiple positions but really don't have the quickness.

I think the fact that Marble was able to effectively play the point for stretches got Fran on the wrong path trying to duplicate that rather than going after numerous small quicker players.

Im not sure, don't remember. Sure seems like a mistake if we didn't. Bringing in two bigs was not a good move for last years team. Two ballhandlers would have made so much more sense.

But Fran has been missing on his top pg choices the entire time he has been here going all the way back to Guerrero.

Part of the problem has been not offering enough guys who can fill that role vs offering guys Fran thinks can play multiple positions but really don't have the quickness.

I think the fact that Marble was able to effectively play the point for stretches got Fran on the wrong path trying to duplicate that rather than going after numerous small quicker players.

Fran signed the two PG he wanted in 2012.

Explanations and/or links for this info bolded or I can't believe this isn't made up. I'm not necessarily disagreeing (other than perhaps the Iowa Bball program has a superior image than ISU's, but I'd have to define and research that to make such a claim), I just don't know that I believe you can back this up and didn't make it up

Hahaha. Are you for real?

Do you have any problem believing that Michigan is a bigger name than Iowa? Didn’t think so. The same poll was conducted with respect to ISU. It’s called living in the world and following college sports for a few years.

“Links”? Hahaha

Sperg on, bro.

Paige grew up a North Carolina fan, while Hinrich and Morris never got offers from iowa.

I don’t think that Hinrich would’ve gone to iowa but Morris would have. Heck the only reason he went to Iowa State is because Derek Walton beat him to the punch at Michigan.
Paige grew up in Iowa's "backyard". Morris went to ISU because that is where he knew he would have a shot at the NBA.....which turned out to be a smart move. Hinrich was going to ISU until Floyd left. Fran doesn' get and develop top pgs. Gessel was supposed to be one, but we know how that one turned out.....so do the other competing coaches and ultimately the targeted recruits.

Paige grew up in Iowa's "backyard". Morris went to ISU because that is where he knew he would have a shot at the NBA.....which turned out to be a smart move. Hinrich was going to ISU until Floyd left. Fran doesn' get and develop top pgs. Gessel was supposed to be one, but we know how that one turned out.....so do the other competing coaches and ultimately the targeted recruits.

Roy Marble discussed Monte at length with the Iowa staff but the decision was made to not offer him because we had just taken two PG were involved heavily with Ulis. Not saying I wouldn’t have preferred Morris, but that’s how he ended up at ISU.

You can also deny that Iowa — both the basketball program as well as the university in general — has an overall image superior to that of ISU but you would again be denying reality.

I disagree with just about everything that's been said by Eye in this thread. But I'm sorry dude, Iowa hasn't been to the Sweet 16 in Carton's lifetime. Iowa's finished the season ranked twice in his lifetime. I think ISU's basketball program has a better image than Iowa's and I don't think it's even worth debating.

Reactions: Jim4edwards
Roy Marble discussed Monte at length with the Iowa staff but the decision was made to not offer him because we had just taken two PG were involved heavily with Ulis. Not saying I wouldn’t have preferred Morris, but that’s how he ended up at ISU.
You mistakenly left out all of ISU's connections to Michigan that ultimately got Morris to Ames. Marble wasn't part of those discussions.

Hahaha. Are you for real?

Do you have any problem believing that Michigan is a bigger name than Iowa? Didn’t think so. The same poll was conducted with respect to ISU. It’s called living in the world and following college sports for a few years.

“Links”? Hahaha

Sperg on, bro.

I was serious. Not familiar with the Michigan poll ur referencing but that's the type of link I was potentially looking for. To simply say 'living in the world and following college sports for a few years' is a response that supports the point of my post. Fwiw I would wager Iowa's overall brand has a 'superior image' and I would guess a lot of that has to do with FB. To state the Iowa bball program has a superior image and that ISU is between South Dakota St and Creighton are statements that sound more than questionable without backing to me

If Iowa's brand is so much better, how come significantly more Iowans and students in general choose to attend ISU than attend Iowa. I guess they just lack brand awareness....LOL!!!

Morris went isu because that was the best option he had left.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
You mistakenly left out all of ISU's connections to Michigan that ultimately got Morris to Ames. Marble wasn't part of those discussions.

Right after Iowa choose to not offer, granted an enourmously terrible piece of judgment by Fran.

Lower admission standards and lower tuition.

? As a father with children at both institutions, there is no appreciable difference in either. Both of my kids are happy with their choice based on what they wanted to study, and I support both, but to say there is a grand difference academically for admission or overall fees (my daughter at Iowa has a better scholarship) is just not true.

If you are wondering, yes, I did my undergrad and grad work at ISU, thus my screen name, but I follow both universities, especially as my daughter is an athlete on a club team at Iowa. I get that “fan” is short for fanatic, and we all puff our chests out, but this is way more fun when both schools are competitive than it was when either wasn’t.

Let’s not make things up. For example, while true without a certain level of natural ability, no one has a shot at the NBA, yet for someone to say coaching doesn’t matter and it wouldn’t have mattered where someone went to school just hasn’t studied leadership or spent much time around college athletes. Most who have achieved any level of excellence will have the humility to understand none of us are “self made”, rather most of us are partially where we are because someone saw things in us we may not have seen in ourselves, and pushed us to achieve more than we would have without that push. Our task is to pay it forward by helping others see their potential as was done for us...ok, off my soap box now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT