ADVERTISEMENT

I think we have a great chance at Xavier Foster & DJ Carton; but what if we strike out on 1 or both?

If Carton and Foster both go, especially to other Big 10 schools, and we have another lackluster year coming up....something has to give.

So many recruiting misses by Fran. I think we are past the "But Lickliter" phase. For me it just seems Iowa basketball is cursed since the end of the Davis era. Just nowhere near what it once was.

I
I thought it was impressive to get Woody and Mike G to come to Iowa. Both were good 4 star gets for Fran.

But I agree; last season we took a step backward; we couldn't play defense for the life of us. Now we have struck out on DJ. Instead, we get to see DJ compete against Iowa at least one time a year (hopefully he is a one and done). This is year 9 for Fran. Fran needs a turn around season in 2018-2019 or we might lose Xavier as well.

I have felt Iowa was cursed ever since the night we lost Chris Street. It seems nothing has been as good since.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Yeah, the latest buzz on Foster is that among the instate schools, Iowa State has a better shot than Iowa of landing him.

Yeah, the latest buzz on Foster is that among the instate schools, Iowa State has a better shot than Iowa of landing him.
I can't help myself. I gotta use a line from the movie "Everest" where Helen Wilton complains about the price of oxygen. "That's daylight robbery!"

Foster going elsewhere would follow the long-standing trend of high level players leaving the state. While that wouldn't be great I see it as less a problem than Fran's inability to land quality PGs of the type needed to compete in the B1G.
His best true PG(Gesell) was fine. Not bad by any means. Far from great. But he's the best that Fran has managed to sign during his time at Iowa. That's just not going to cut it in an era in which quality play from a PG is of such import.

Iowa and ISU would be greatly served by a successful 2018-2019 season, I'll say that. A little bit Captain Obvious but it's more critical than usual.

Both these guys are guys that Fran really needs to land in order to show that Iowa basketball: (1) is indisputably the best program in the state; and (2) really does intend to compete at the top of the B1G and become nationally relevant.

Miss on both and... while not a disaster, it will signal more of the same. Land one and we’re still good. Land both and it makes a strong statement that the program is headed up.
i hope we land Foster but now I am not sure....

Out of the hundreds of thousands of high school seniors and juco players out there Fran & Co need get out there and find Iowa some skillful perimeter players that can run a O and play some D... No DJ Carton, Oh well! You can’t tell me there isn’t some kids out there just wanting to play big ten ball?! Go get em Fran because another year like last years and it’s probably gonna get real ugly.

it would be HUGE if we could land Foster but if we don't then I am afraid people are gonna get nervous on the stability of the program

This is going to be negative but the reality is we are not landing Foster. The only way is if he was injured and fell down the rankings. ISU is in better position with him than we are. I think he ends up at a blue blood with Kentucky already on him.

Depending on when Silver abolishes the one and done rule he may go directly to the NBA if that’s an option again in 2 years.

Out of the hundreds of thousands of high school seniors and juco players out there Fran & Co need get out there and find Iowa some skillful perimeter players that can run a O and play some D... No DJ Carton, Oh well! You can’t tell me there isn’t some kids out there just wanting to play big ten ball?! Go get em Fran because another year like last years and it’s probably gonna get real ugly.
Its already ugly , lack of NCAA appearances , losing in state players to other B1G programs , last years atrocious season, Fran better get to the dance this year . I personally believe He should have been let go at the end of last season for one reason, the kids didn't play hard and they didn't play defense . That is on the Coach period .

Its already ugly , lack of NCAA appearances , losing in state players to other B1G programs , last years atrocious season, Fran better get to the dance this year . I personally believe He should have been let go at the end of last season for one reason, the kids didn't play hard and they didn't play defense . That is on the Coach period .
If the Hawks have a great season this year I think Foster will seriously consider coming to IOWA. If it's another terrible blunder he is gone onto someone else that wins.

This is going to be negative but the reality is we are not landing Foster. The only way is if he was injured and fell down the rankings. ISU is in better position with him than we are. I think he ends up at a blue blood with Kentucky already on him.

Depending on when Silver abolishes the one and done rule he may go directly to the NBA if that’s an option again in 2 years.

Basically saying the Peter Jok route is the only route that leads him to Iowa City :( that sadly is a real expectation.. we’ve seen it work out that way more times than not so sadly I’ll have to give you that..

If the Hawks have a great season this year I think Foster will seriously consider coming to IOWA. If it's another terrible blunder he is gone onto someone else that wins.

I gotta ride with And1Hawk on this one.. what gives us fans and followers any reason beside sheer dumb hope and luck that Iowa will land a nationally coveted 5 star prospect from the state of Iowa? If he doesn’t commit when he’s a freshman in high school to go to Iowa, than what outside of all the schools backing off of him for whatever reason like injury for Jok would give us a logical reason to think he would come to Iowa?? I mean I hope I’m wrong but goodness it just hasn’t happened.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Do you feel Foster would be Carton 2.0?
a few things:

* We better have a strong winning season this year (winning matters to these kids) or Foster might lost faith in what is going on in Iowa City

* Playing time has to be there, which it should be

* The NBA, as others have suggested, might do away with one and done so he might go from high school directly to the NBA 2 years from now

a few things:

* We better have a strong winning season this year (winning matters to these kids) or Foster might lost faith in what is going on in Iowa City

* The NBA, as others have suggested, might do away with one and done so he might go from high school directly to the NBA 2 years from now

Is this how we are going to make our program? Guys that are so highly rated that they will have the option / ability / potential to leave early, very early to the pros when we will likely not have a player of equal stature to replace him. Look we’d love to think we are in play for these 5 star guys but that proves so risky to swim in deep waters.

I think we are better served trying to identify quality 3-4 year players that fit our system. If Foster & DJ live up to their 5 star status they are gone in a year under the current system. We likely reap marginal benefits of that other than puffing out our chest for a little bit.

Is this how we are going to make our program? Guys that are so highly rated that they will have the option / ability / potential to leave early, very early to the pros when we will likely not have a player of equal stature to replace him. Look we’d love to think we are in play for these 5 star guys but that proves so risky to swim in deep waters.

I think we are better served trying to identify quality 3-4 year players that fit our system. If Foster & DJ live up to their 5 star status they are gone in a year under the current system. We likely reap marginal benefits of that other than puffing out our chest for a little bit.

Yeah, I hear ya; we are probably better off with 3 and 4 star kids who are here all 4 years; however, its hard to lose these Iowa kids, especially to other B1G programs because it makes it seem like there is something missing at Iowa where these kids don't want to stay home; in DJ's case, Bob said he liked that they needed a PG and play more of a 3 guard system where Iowa most often just has 2 guards on the court

I'd be curious to hear how you think a coach makes players play hard and play defense.

Yeah, I hear ya; we are probably better off with 3 and 4 star kids who are here all 4 years; however, its hard to lose these Iowa kids, especially to other B1G programs because it makes it seem like there is something missing at Iowa where these kids don't want to stay home; in DJ's case, Bob said he liked that they needed a PG and play more of a 3 guard system where Iowa most often just has 2 guards on the court

I think the 3 guard vs 2 guard is an excuse. Joe W will be a starter at the 3 so right there that’s 3 guards with JBO & Moss or Dailey. The other piece is are we honestly going to believe if DJ said to Fran well you don’t play 3 guards Fran would say yes we won’t do that? DJ was in the drivers seat.

I think we do lack a lot at Iowa these days. Many on this board lived through the late 70s and 80’s hey day when we made a final four, final 8 and 16s. Since that time (post Roy, BJ & Eddy) —- 29 years we’ve made 1 sweet 16 spanning 4 coaches. That says right there that we are missing something beyond a coach or a system of play. We have a questionable basketball only venue that by it’s design (too large, too much space around the court) does not support student engagement therefore it’s not a home court advantage too many nights. We have a university that’s not on board with the benefits that athletics can bring to the university status and enrollment. We have a small population base in Iowa that’s not a hotbed for recruiting outside of the occasional exception like DJ and Foster. There is no vision.

Reactions: intrepodor
The difference between Foster and Carton is that Foster is a long-term Iowan, possibly life-long but don't know for sure, who evidently is a major Iowa Hawkeye Fan. Carton lived in Iowa for 3 years and was not particularly a fan.

I'm not saying Foster will become a Hawk, just that I think there is a stronger allegiance to the Iowa Hawks with Foster than Carton.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
a few things:

All good points especially the first I think. The guys we have now need to make a statement. I have said before in a thread, paraphrastically, that if someone with talent wanted to get to the professional level that they would have to decide whether to play for Duke, Kentucky, Carolina, Kansas, etc. or play where the corn grows tall.

Which one would most pick?

I’m actually impressed with the recruiting that McCaffery has been exhibited recently, outside of free sources there is word that this staff is making inroads to some very elite recruits. Of course it would be so Hawkeye fans to run the guy out of town without knowing this.

I’m actually impressed with the recruiting that McCaffery has been exhibited recently, outside of free sources there is word that this staff is making inroads to some very elite recruits. Of course it would be so Hawkeye fans to run the guy out of town without knowing this.

Of course, you can’t name any of these “very elite recruits” cause it’s super secret, yo.

“Making inroads”. Hmmmmmm... what could that mean? That we actually contacted them?

Makes sense. Anyone who knows anything about recruiting knows that it takes most good coaches at least eight seasons (and a 4-14 league finish) before they can reasonably be expected to start “making inroads” with “very elite recruits.” Wouldn’t want to “run anyone off” when they’re just getting started. That would be dumb.

Last edited:
Of course, you can’t name any of these “very elite recruits” cause it’s super secret, yo.

“Making inroads”. Hmmmmmm... what could that mean? That we actually contacted them?

Makes sense. Anyone who knows anything about recruiting knows that it takes most good coaches at least eight seasons (and a 4-14 league finish) before they can reasonably be expected to start “making inroads” with “very elite recruits.” Wouldn’t want to “run anyone off” when they’re just getting started. That would be dumb.

I bet you’re fun at parties..
I’m not telling you sh*t tool bag.. figure it out yourself, pay for info, or don’t idc. Effing waste of oxygen.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I would not put all our marbles in on Foster. He like Carton wants to go to a winning program. We need to make a decent run this year and then we can talk. Carton is going to be a 4 year player at OSU so be prepared to see him often.

I bet you’re fun at parties..
I’m not telling you sh*t tool bag.. figure it out yourself, pay for info, or don’t idc. Effing waste of oxygen.

The guy is a total know-it-all (his DJ Carton to Iowa guarantee was brilliant) and a first-class d-bag.

Basically, he scours these threads for posters who don't suffer from the same level of rectal cranial inversion that he does and then scolds and berates them for not sharing his myopic point of view. Oh, and he's a whiny little b*tch. :p

I should probably put him on ignore but for now I find him kind of amusing.

You don’t know sh*t, fruitbag.

It’s obvious to everyone.

Says the guy who guaranteed Carton to Iowa and has since whined and cried about Fran and Iowa not being an elite program. Lol.

You're as arrogant as you are stupid. Do the board a favor and become a Duke fan. Or better yet, go play out in traffic.

Seriously, you're a joke.

Says the guy who guaranteed Carton to Iowa and has since whined and cried about Fran and Iowa not being an elite program. Lol.

You're as arrogant as you are stupid. Do the board a favor and become a Duke fan. Or better yet, go play out in traffic.

Seriously, you're a joke.

You’re obsession with me is undignified. I’m embarrassed for you.

Try harder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT