ADVERTISEMENT

I think we need to accept is that there is A LOT of levels in between 100% Pro Life and 100% Pro Choice

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
A plurality of America is "Pro-Choice with restrictions". The centrist view from the other side that has a large chunk of the overall population in it is "Pro-Life with exceptions (mother health, rape and incest)".

The pro-choice side is right to be worried because right now the train is being driven by the most extreme fringe of the pro-life side.

This is from 2-3 years ago but it hasn't changed much up to last week, I'm sure. But I think it shows that most of us are close in how we view abortion. I think we just need to be nicer to each other through this and maybe we can get through it. I for one am gonna be nicer, you can count on that. Except to @torbee . Eff that guy.

It’s funny because those exceptions have always been the pro life position. But those on the extreme left will have others believe those aren’t held exceptions by 99% of pro lifers.

Social media is a complete mess right now with this kind of misinformation.

from article "A total of 77% say the Supreme Court should uphold Roe, but within that there's a lot of nuance — 26% say they would like to see it remain in place, but with more restrictions added; 21% want to see Roe expanded to establish the right to abortion under any circumstance; 16% want to keep it the way it is; and 14% want to see some of the restrictions allowed under Roe reduced. Just 13% overall say it should be overturned."

it's so clear that people definitely don't want roe trashed, they do not want new headaches and instability on a front is somewhat stabilizing slowly but surely. everyone is looking for the country to move forward on a lot of other fronts and here we are uncorking a new shitstorm at the wrong farking time. guess who wins. imo, not americans.

I've long held a mixed position. I favor no limits in the first trimester. I also am comfortable with returning the question to the states, like it is with euthanasia. It might actually benefit Democrats in purple states to have it be a state issue instead of a federal one. Letting people vote more directly on it might get us a lot closer to consensus on how it should be handled, imo.

A plurality of America is "Pro-Choice with restrictions". The centrist view from the other side that has a large chunk of the overall population in it is "Pro-Life with exceptions (mother health, rape and incest)".

The pro-choice side is right to be worried because right now the train is being driven by the most extreme fringe of the pro-life side.

This is from 2-3 years ago but it hasn't changed much up to last week, I'm sure. But I think it shows that most of us are close in how we view abortion. I think we just need to be nicer to each other through this and maybe we can get through it. I for one am gonna be nicer, you can count on that. Except to @torbee . Eff that guy.

I'm as pro-abortion as anybody on here and even I think that if a woman walks into a clinic after she's known for a couple months she's pregnant it's messed up. Thankfully this is very rare where they change their minds way late and the BS that even DeSantis said a couple of days ago should be tossed out of the narrative.

It’s funny because those exceptions have always been the pro life position. But those on the extreme left will have others believe those aren’t held exceptions by 99% of pro lifers.

top-gun-action.gif

Reactions: sob5 and BelemNole

You might want to look at the laws that will be triggered by this decision. Where are the exceptions?

You might want to look at the laws that will be triggered by this decision. Where are the exceptions?

Well had this been properly setup from the get go and a hardline been drawn, we wouldn’t be going through this right now would we.

from article "A total of 77% say the Supreme Court should uphold Roe, but within that there's a lot of nuance — 26% say they would like to see it remain in place, but with more restrictions added; 21% want to see Roe expanded to establish the right to abortion under any circumstance; 16% want to keep it the way it is; and 14% want to see some of the restrictions allowed under Roe reduced. Just 13% overall say it should be overturned."

it's so clear that people definitely don't want roe trashed, they do not want new headaches and instability on a front is somewhat stabilizing slowly but surely. everyone is looking for the country to move forward on a lot of other fronts and here we are uncorking a new shitstorm at the wrong farking time. guess who wins. imo, not americans.
Crazy that 85% want to keep it, but it's being threatened by people who were appointed by someone who never won the popular vote.

Well had this been properly setup from the get go and a hardline been drawn, we wouldn’t be going through this right now would we.
The conservative hardliners on abortion have been increasingly taking hold of this debate for your more standard Conservative. Even my dad has said hed be okay with a first trimester limit. But the last couple of years has seen the line in this moving further and further to the right with outright or as near as makes no difference bans on abortion as the goal.

Alito is only lying to himself if he thinks leaving it up to the states will settle this once and for all.

I'm 100% pro-life because abortion is killing an early human life but I also recognize having millions of unwanted babies is a total debacle.

I'm 100% pro-life because abortion is killing an early human life but I also recognize having millions of unwanted babies is a total debacle.
I think one thing baked into the anti-abortion argument for many is that banning abortion would help push people towards leading more responsible lives and thus be more cautious around sexual activity.

Here's where it's tricky. The court can't modify the law. It can overturn or uphold. It can't say "ok you can't put in laws that ban abortion prior to 15 weeks."

Congress has to do that.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Said another way: Well if reality was different my opinion would be right.

And that reality is that we have become far to comfortable with the idea of abortion. So much so that we have allowed it in matters of convenience, and that should have never happened.

Reactions: HugeEddie
And that reality is that we have become far to comfortable with the idea of abortion. So much so that we have allowed it in matters of convenience, and that should have never happened.

The reality is that a dozen-odd states have trigger laws without exception. If that reality was different this would be true: "It’s funny because those exceptions have always been the pro life position. But those on the extreme left will have others believe those aren’t held exceptions by 99% of pro lifers."

But it's not. Although, I doubt reality makes much difference to you, it can always be bent to make life more comfortable.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I think one thing baked into the anti-abortion argument for many is that banning abortion would help push people towards leading more responsible lives and thus be more cautious around sexual activity.

That seems nearly impossible in our current culture.

The reality is that a dozen-odd states have trigger laws without exception. If that reality was different this would be true: "It’s funny because those exceptions have always been the pro life position. But those on the extreme left will have others believe those aren’t held exceptions by 99% of pro lifers."

But it's not. Although, I doubt reality makes much difference to you, it can always be bent to make life more comfortable.

Yep and if society behaved the way it should when it comes to abortion and didn’t allow abortion on demand, the there wouldn’t be this gross over correction.

The reality is that people like yourself caused this correction.

Yep and if society behaved the way it should when it comes to abortion and didn’t allow abortion on demand, the there wouldn’t be this gross over correction.

The reality is that people like yourself caused this correction.

Ah yes, another reality twister. The people who didn't vote for any of the Republicans caused the Republicans to create trigger laws that don't contain exceptions.

It does at least sort of seem like you have acknowledged your error. Your error is probably the fault of people like me too.

I can only imagine how miserable society would be if it "behaved the way" Garry from HORT believes it should.

Ah yes, another reality twister. The people who didn't vote for any of the Republicans caused the Republicans to create trigger laws that don't contain exceptions.

It does at least sort of seem like you have acknowledged your error. Your error is probably the fault of people like me too.

I can only imagine how miserable society would be if it "behaved the way" Garry from HORT believes it should.

Do you at the very least understand that society goes through corrections?

We have even fought wars over corrections.

Do you at the very least understand that society goes through corrections?

We have even fought wars over corrections.

Let me guess the 13th amendment was an over correction in your ideal society. Dirty libs at fault again.

If legislatures and worked on this issue 60 years ago, we wouldn’t have ever had Roe v. Wade or Roe v. Casey.

Based on people buying more home and car than they can afford most of us realize that isn’t going to happen.

lots of people are incapable of making good decisions.

also think 3% should be taken out of people’s checks and invested in a targeted retirement index fund. (No dumb ass that isn’t what social security is).

I really hope that was sarcastic. If not, wow.

I think one thing baked into the anti abortion argument is that virtually all abortion is the result of irresponsible promiscuous behavior.

Reactions: hawkifann
I guess you don’t. Thanks for making that clear.

Nobody knows more about corrections than I do, maybe in the history of the world. I understand corrections better than almost anybody else. You probably didn't realize that we've fought wars over corrections.

I wish you were capable of having a laugh at your own expense. Despite the uber serious nature of corrections, you manage to come off quite silly.

I get the feeling a lot of people don't actually understand Roe V Wade. Like, they think removing it would mean no abortion anymore.
It would absolutely mean "no abortion anymore" for millions of women. Mostly poor and PoC.

Wait...you actually think this?

Reactions: NoleATL
ADVERTISEMENT