ADVERTISEMENT

I thought DeSantis was the "freedom governor"???

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
ORLANDO, Fla. – Starting next week, you may want to think about how loud you’re blasting music from your car.

A new Florida law going into effect on July 1 will allow law enforcement officers to give tickets to drivers playing music too loud in their cars.

It makes it unlawful for someone playing music from a vehicle that is “plainly audible at a distance of 25 feet or more.”

“The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall promulgate rules defining ‘plainly audible’ and establish standards regarding how sound should be measured by law enforcement personnel who enforce the provisions of this section,” Florida statute 316.3045 reads.

The law also allows officers to ticket drivers listening to music “louder than necessary” in areas where churches, schools or hospitals nearby.

Any bets that the law will disproportionately impact people who like rap/hip-hop music?

Reactions: HawkFan1298
ORLANDO, Fla. – Starting next week, you may want to think about how loud you’re blasting music from your car.

A new Florida law going into effect on July 1 will allow law enforcement officers to give tickets to drivers playing music too loud in their cars.

It makes it unlawful for someone playing music from a vehicle that is “plainly audible at a distance of 25 feet or more.”

“The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall promulgate rules defining ‘plainly audible’ and establish standards regarding how sound should be measured by law enforcement personnel who enforce the provisions of this section,” Florida statute 316.3045 reads.

The law also allows officers to ticket drivers listening to music “louder than necessary” in areas where churches, schools or hospitals nearby.

Any bets that the law will disproportionately impact people who like rap/hip-hop music?
This is dumb even for you.

Florida doesn't have a bunch of white guy Trump voters on bikes blasting classic rock out of their sound systems so they can be heard from over 150 yards away? That's a common thing in my neck of the woods.

On a side note, it is pretty impressive how much sound can be produced from a stereo on a motorcycle these days.

As for the law, if they added a few conditions, like from 10 PM - 7 AM in residential areas I wouldn't have any issues with it other than it sounds like something that should be a city ordinance and not a state law. Must be a slow week in DeSantis land. Oh well, I heard Disney is going to pay for people to fly to other states to get abortions so I guess he can rage on that next week.

This is dumb even for you.

Oh, but wait... there's more!

Gov. Ron DeSantis on Friday signed a measure that will allow cities and counties to restrict smoking at beaches and parks that they own, according to information posted on the Senate website.

The bill (HB 105) builds on a 2002 constitutional amendment that prohibited smoking in restaurants and at other indoor workplaces. Under it, however, local governments will not be able to prevent “the smoking of unfiltered cigars.”

Lawmakers overwhelmingly approved the measure during the legislative session that ended in March. At the time, Senate sponsor Joe Gruters, R-Sarasota, said the intention of the bill was to rid beaches of cigarette butts that don’t quickly biodegrade.

“If you live near a beach, the number one picked-up item consistently on an annual basis over and over again, are cigarette butts,” Gruters said. “What happens all the time is this second-hand smoke, to me it is disgusting. But what's even more disgusting is when you reach into the sand and pick up one of those butts. And those filters that are in the cigarettes are what ends up in the water, destroying the environment.”

Littering is already illegal. Why not simply enforce THAT???

Oh, but wait... there's more!

Gov. Ron DeSantis on Friday signed a measure that will allow cities and counties to restrict smoking at beaches and parks that they own, according to information posted on the Senate website.

The bill (HB 105) builds on a 2002 constitutional amendment that prohibited smoking in restaurants and at other indoor workplaces. Under it, however, local governments will not be able to prevent “the smoking of unfiltered cigars.”

Lawmakers overwhelmingly approved the measure during the legislative session that ended in March. At the time, Senate sponsor Joe Gruters, R-Sarasota, said the intention of the bill was to rid beaches of cigarette butts that don’t quickly biodegrade.

“If you live near a beach, the number one picked-up item consistently on an annual basis over and over again, are cigarette butts,” Gruters said. “What happens all the time is this second-hand smoke, to me it is disgusting. But what's even more disgusting is when you reach into the sand and pick up one of those butts. And those filters that are in the cigarettes are what ends up in the water, destroying the environment.”

Littering is already illegal. Why not simply enforce THAT???
I get it. The smoking stuff makes you angry. Carry on, Camel Joe.

Trad being pissed he may no longer be able to shoot a lung dart on the beach is the most Trad thing ever.

Banning smoking to preemptively prevent me from littering with the butt is the most asinine thing ever.

I can smoke an unfiltered stogie all day long on the beach, but if it has a filter? I'm getting a citation.

That's garbage and you know it, Runk.

And if we're being truthful, you KNOW that the powerful cigar lobby carved out that exclusion.

I'm really comimg around to seeing this guy as mean-spirited and vindictive. I don't like the idea of a governor or President singling out and punishing businesses and corporations for speaking out on issues that impact them, or for acting in their own self interest. This baseball stadium deal seems like just another example of him seeing anyone supporting a policy or idea he disagrees with as an enemy that needs to punished.

“It’s also inappropriate to subsidize political activism of a private corporation.

I'm really comimg around to seeing this guy as mean-spirited and vindictive. I don't like the idea of a governor or President singling out and punishing businesses and corporations for speaking out on issues that impact them, or for acting in their own self interest. This baseball stadium deal seems like just another example of him seeing anyone supporting a policy or idea he disagrees with as an enemy that needs to punished.

“It’s also inappropriate to subsidize political activism of a private corporation.
He’s either a bad guy, or willing to play one for votes. Either way, not good for the country.

Banning smoking to preemptively prevent me from littering with the butt is the most asinine thing ever.

I can smoke an unfiltered stogie all day long on the beach, but if it has a filter? I'm getting a citation.

And if we're being truthful, you KNOW that the powerful cigar lobby carved out that exclusion.
The powerful cigar lobby vs the powerful tobacco lobby. Love it. That said, I agree, they shouldn’t allow cigars either. They should extend it to all tobacco products.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wendy79 and goldmom

Cigarette filters are made of a plastic called cellulose acetate. When tossed into the environment, they dump not only that plastic, but also the nicotine, heavy metals, and many other chemicals they've absorbed into the surrounding environment.

Cigarette filters are made of a plastic called cellulose acetate. When tossed into the environment, they dump not only that plastic, but also the nicotine, heavy metals, and many other chemicals they've absorbed into the surrounding environment.

And littering is already illegal.

They're awful. Can't we just require them to be made from biodegradable materials? Water soluble?

Reactions: globalhawk
Wow, you're dense.

I can't tell the beach patrol, "No worries. I'll properly dispose of my butts."

It's like banning water to prevent people from leaving plastic bottles on the beach.
I am dense. Haha. You may be the slowest person on this board.

I would like to point out, the bill doesn’t outright prohibit cigarettes on the beach. It allows a local government to make the decision. So, while Trad is crying, this is exactly the type of bill he should be supporting.

I would like to point out, the bill doesn’t outright prohibit cigarettes on the beach. It allows a local government to make the decision. So, while Trad is crying, this is exactly the type of bill he should be supporting.

The Florida GQP legislature allowing local control? That is about as schizophrenic as the two supreme court rulings this week. They typically hate local control.

Smoking should never be banned outdoors.

This is actually an amendment to Florida's "Clean Indoor Air Amendment".

The voters approved the ballot initiative with the language that cities and counties couldn't do what's happening now.

The entire thing is perverse.

Why is this a problem with you then? Edit: Do you throw all of your cig butts in the garbage?
He didn't answer that. He probably thinks the beach is an ashtray. Most smokers think public spaces are their ashtray.

Trad knows the Po-po aren't going to write smokers tickets for littering. Butts aren't visible like styrofoam cups or beer cans.

He didn't answer that. He probably thinks the beach is an ashtray. Most smokers think public spaces are their ashtray.

Trad knows the Po-po aren't going to write smokers tickets for littering. Butts aren't visible like styrofoam cups or beer cans.

I do not throw my butts on the beach.

I should be exempt from any such law.

Smoking should never be banned outdoors.

This is actually an amendment to Florida's "Clean Indoor Air Amendment".

The voters approved the ballot initiative with the language that cities and counties couldn't do what's happening now.

The entire thing is perverse.
Take it up with your local government

Reactions: globalhawk

You do know it's the filters that are the bad thing on beaches, right?

ADVERTISEMENT