ADVERTISEMENT

I thought DeSantis was the "freedom governor"???

ORLANDO, Fla. – Starting next week, you may want to think about how loud you’re blasting music from your car.

A new Florida law going into effect on July 1 will allow law enforcement officers to give tickets to drivers playing music too loud in their cars.

It makes it unlawful for someone playing music from a vehicle that is “plainly audible at a distance of 25 feet or more.”

“The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall promulgate rules defining ‘plainly audible’ and establish standards regarding how sound should be measured by law enforcement personnel who enforce the provisions of this section,” Florida statute 316.3045 reads.

The law also allows officers to ticket drivers listening to music “louder than necessary” in areas where churches, schools or hospitals nearby.

Any bets that the law will disproportionately impact people who like rap/hip-hop music?
Will the officer have to recite the lyrics if it's plainly audible? Because I'm all in on those body camera videos. I enjoy reciting filthy rap lyrics to people in a serious tone. Can only imagine deputy associate degree doing it.

Reactions: The Tradition
How exactly do you dispose of your cigs?

Field strip* them and throw the butts away in the trash can which are helpfully provided at all city and county beaches and parks.

* The term "field strip" refers to the process of twisting a spent cigarette until the burning ember falls to the ground rendering the butt safe for disposal in an ordinary trash container.

Will the officer have to recite the lyrics if it's plainly audible? Because I'm all in on those body camera videos. I enjoy reciting filthy rap lyrics to people in a serious tone. Can only imagine deputy associate degree doing it.
I can only hope so. It would be awesome to see an officer jam some Hit em Up.

I'm really comimg around to seeing this guy as mean-spirited and vindictive. I don't like the idea of a governor or President singling out and punishing businesses and corporations for speaking out on issues that impact them, or for acting in their own self interest. This baseball stadium deal seems like just another example of him seeing anyone supporting a policy or idea he disagrees with as an enemy that needs to punished.

“It’s also inappropriate to subsidize political activism of a private corporation.
Yes, he is a lot like someone else we all know too well. He is younger and smarter, but otherwise, he is pretty much like the former president.

Oh, but wait... there's more!

Gov. Ron DeSantis on Friday signed a measure that will allow cities and counties to restrict smoking at beaches and parks that they own, according to information posted on the Senate website.

The bill (HB 105) builds on a 2002 constitutional amendment that prohibited smoking in restaurants and at other indoor workplaces. Under it, however, local governments will not be able to prevent “the smoking of unfiltered cigars.”

Lawmakers overwhelmingly approved the measure during the legislative session that ended in March. At the time, Senate sponsor Joe Gruters, R-Sarasota, said the intention of the bill was to rid beaches of cigarette butts that don’t quickly biodegrade.

“If you live near a beach, the number one picked-up item consistently on an annual basis over and over again, are cigarette butts,” Gruters said. “What happens all the time is this second-hand smoke, to me it is disgusting. But what's even more disgusting is when you reach into the sand and pick up one of those butts. And those filters that are in the cigarettes are what ends up in the water, destroying the environment.”

Littering is already illegal. Why not simply enforce THAT???
This is the kind of stuff the Legislature and DeSantis spent their time on during the session, instead of dealing with issues that actually affect me and my fellow Floridians.

This is the kind of stuff the Legislature and DeSantis spent their time on during the session, instead of dealing with issues that actually affect me and my fellow Floridians.
You’re probably one of those people who are more concerned about new development causing buildings to collapse. Typical.

Smoking should never be banned outdoors.

This is actually an amendment to Florida's "Clean Indoor Air Amendment".

The voters approved the ballot initiative with the language that cities and counties couldn't do what's happening now.

The entire thing is perverse.
Smoking should be banned in all public places, whether indoors or outdoors. No one wants to smell your nasty, vile, disgusting habit.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
People with those high-powered trunk-rattling subwoofers won't even be allowed to turn their radio on....

ADVERTISEMENT