ADVERTISEMENT

I Thought Scheel Was Supposed To Have Great Hands

Toughish catches, not impossible and probably should have been caught. I'm sure he was frustrated with himself

Very few "kids" have good hands. Ed Hinkels are hard to find.

Fant I think we can see, he appears to have got good hands for a youngster. Even though it was ruled no catch that was a helluva try on that rug burner CJ threw him in the end zone.

Reactions: 24 so far
Playmakers make plays. You can't rely on the QB to make 100% accurate throws every time. You need to step up and find a way to catch it, especially when you can get both of your hands on it.

Reactions: 24 so far
Playmakers make plays. You can't rely on the QB to make 100% accurate throws every time. You need to step up and find a way to catch it, especially when you can get both of your hands on it.
Exactly, but we don't have any playmakers on offense except Wadley and our best playmaker, King, never touches the ball on offense.

I thought Scheel made a good effort on the long ball. He only was able to get his fingertips on it. Another couple of inches and he might have hauled it in.

Reactions: UnionFootballFan
Hasn't WR play been the major reason has failed over the years?

Sure we've had a few decent ines sprinkled in but that and QB have been glaring weakpoints.

Wisconsin's freshman quarterback is capable of hitting his receivers downfield in stride and our senior quarterback throws the ball into the ground when we have guys wide open in the end zone and struggles to complete passes of more than 7 yards.

The recession of senior quarterbacks under Ferentz has to be borderline unprecedented

Last edited:
Scheel's a good athlete, I'm just not sure he's a football player, if you know what I mean. He's a little too timid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunderlips71
Hard to make that catch when scheels only ran that pattern and thrown to maybe one other time this year.Need game reps to make them plays

The 2 long passes that were dropped were both catchable passes and could have, and should have been caught IMO. I said to my wife at half time that the biggest difference in this game was the fact that the Badger receivers were making the big catch while Iowa's dropped both of the deep ones. I also don't think that the catches were that difficult. I thought the effort could have been better on the longer under thrown ball, just didn't work to get back to it. You make those catches and its a whole different game, because now you at least have a deep ball threat, which would open up the running game a little more. No threat if you can't make the big catches.

Reactions: mlb1399
If our receivers were all 6'-6 and had seven foot wing spans those would have been catches. They weren't good throws, CJ needs to place the ball better.

The reasons our receivers are mediocre is because we recruit QBs to play reciever.....and every other position for that matter.

One of Scheels biggest problems on that deep ball was that as soon as he turned his head to find the ball his stride shortened so his timing was off from the throw.

One of the hardest things for a lot of receivers to get into their heads is when they turn their heads to find the ball is to maintain the stride that the QB guaged when he threw the ball.

I agree they should of been caught.i was upset too but I'm not kicking him to the curb

Oh, I'm not kicking any of our players to the curb, and I also realize that CJ's throws weren't the best but they both could have been caught like I said before. This isn't meant to be anything against Iowa's receivers but Imo that is the biggest difference in this game, it sure changes a lot when you have a deep threat. Late in the game Smith made a tougher catch on a short pass along the sideline than the one he let get out of his hands on the long ball. So I know he can make the catches just have to stay totally focused threw out the game.

That's very true Scheels is a lot like Jordan Cotton will be a role player
CJ is not the problem. I have not seen our wide outs make a 50/50 catch all season. You see this all the time with other teams wide outs making plays when the ball is thrown up for grabs. Every team is playing man for man coverage right up tight at the line of scrimmage. Our receivers are not physical enough.

Reactions: mlb1399
CJ is not the problem. I have not seen our wide outs make a 50/50 catch all season. You see this all the time with other teams wide outs making plays when the ball is thrown up for grabs. Every team is playing man for man coverage right up tight at the line of scrimmage. Our receivers are not physical enough.
C.J. is not the sole problem, but it would be asinine to say that there hasn't been a major regression between last year and this one.

That pass to Tevaun Smith in the BTCG last year? Right now, I'd almost bet that he overthrows that ball

C.J. is not the sole problem, but it would be asinine to say that there hasn't been a major regression between last year and this one.

That pass to Tevaun Smith in the BTCG last year? Right now, I'd almost bet that he overthrows that ball

He threw a deep pass yesterday that most D1 receivers would have caught and our receiver dropped.

What most people don't understand is capable receivers make QB's look better. They catch balls in a radius to their body which makes QB's look accurate. We're so use to bad WR play that we don't know what it looks like.

Guys like McCarron, Grigsby, Molloy wouldn't even be starting water cooler boys at OSU or Michigan.

The funny thing is this staff is so bad at attracting WR's that any time this state produces a good one, Michigan swoops right in under our nose.

Best Tweet yesterday that sums up this thread:

"There are a lot of stud wide receivers on my twitter feed who think they would've caught over throw to Scheel. CJ has zero touch this year" - Kyle Bowlsby

It was no drop, it barely touched his fingers (overthrown). Just like the next pass that was as short of a route as they come, yet still overthrown. Plenty of other examples all season long.

There is a two way street - a good QB makes receivers look better, good receivers make a QB look better. Neither are doing any favors for each other right now, but we at least need passes to make it to receivers to let them try to show something. We then need to fight for the ball (Smith opportunity) and avoid drops (McCarron opportunity).

Reactions: unoHawkeye
OMG, this is such bullshit, you need to pull your head out of Kirk's ass. The reason Iowa's receivers are sub par is because no good receiver wants to play a 1970's brand of FB.
Exactly, boring, boring and more boring is what many use to describe this offense. Iowa has the ability to recruit well and they should be doing just that. The problem is that the boring starts from the top.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT