ADVERTISEMENT

I was close to done with Kirk et al in 2007 and part of 2008

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I posted many times elsewhere that I was tired of the conservative offense. In 2007 a few of us went to Purdue and Jake C was terrible. But what really got me was with about 3 seconds left if the first half and Iowa has 4th down with the ball on about the Purdue 45 to midfield so Kirk punted instead of trying a hail mary which almost every other D1 coach would have done. The hawks were behind at that time and I was dumbfounded.

Of course I had witnessed a few meltdowns in 2005 and 2006 where the hawks had a lead and went conservative only to have the opponent go into 4th down mode and win at the end.

Then in the first 6 games of 2008 when Stanzi got some time and looked a lot better than Jake C., Kirk just kept trotting out Jake C. I really wanted something new on offense. OKeefe must have lit the fire to go to Stanzi and the hawks had 24 super solid games in a row until late in 2010.

Most of the time with the hawk offense it is QB passing and the whole passing game. Same the last two years.

I am not expecting much next year until I see improved run blocking for some really good young runners and at least above avg passing attack and about 400 yards a game total.

Reactions: Gary.scotty
So, like, when we’re not winning a lot?
When the offense is so boring and predictable with a better qb sitting on the bench. When your coach doesnt even try a hail mary and he punts from the opponents 33 yard line. Dont tell me you do not remember the anguish of the fans when Kirk would do all this stuff.

Haha, and you dont think or remember a whole lot of fans were not wondering about Kirk being the coach in the second half of the 2010 collapse and the terrible 2012 season and the Rudock/Beathard situation. All because of cautious Kirk? Wow then Kirk changed in 2015, opened it up, went for it on 4th down more, didnt punt from the opponents 35 on 4th and 4, etc, etc, made the change away from Rudock.

Since the 6-0 start last year, I believe KF and the Hawks are 11-9 with one of those wins (barely) against an FCS Program.
So is your point that the hawks are struggling?

The defense has never been the limiting issue with Kirk's hawk teams. Each year it is basically how good or bad is the offense. I dont give the coaches too bad of a time for 2012 because Bulaga and Donnal both went down mid-season but that was also a team that should have beat Central Mich.

Kirk was about at his 10 year tenure mark in 2007 when the wheels really went off the offense. And like I said not throwing a hail mary pass from midfield with about 3 seconds left in the first half is pretty weird and way too conservative. So my response then was somewhat 'do I want to watch this really conservative coaching staff drag down the team?"

So is your point that the hawks are struggling?

The defense has never been the limiting issue with Kirk's hawk teams. Each year it is basically how good or bad is the offense. I dont give the coaches too bad of a time for 2012 because Bulaga and Donnal both went down mid-season but that was also a team that should have beat Central Mich.

Kirk was about at his 10 year tenure mark in 2007 when the wheels really went off the offense. And like I said not throwing a hail mary pass from midfield with about 3 seconds left in the first half is pretty weird and way too conservative. So my response then was somewhat 'do I want to watch this really conservative coaching staff drag down the team?"
Why oh why are you still hanging around?

I wish you guys were coaching the Hawks. no doubt in my mind we'd national champs every year.

Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT