ADVERTISEMENT

I was reading Cyclonefanatic and saw this…

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
I always want ISU to win.

I also realize this is our one real chance to pressure CMC to relinquish control of the offense to someone that might do there what Heacock has done on defense.

So, conundrum.

Responding Cyfan…Wait, is this the current CF hot take? That CMC has no input on the defensive side but does on the offensive side?

It’s remarkable how similar these two fan bases have become. Hell maybe they always have been, I don’t know… It just made me laugh.

Last edited:
Responding Cyfan…Wait, is this the current CF hot take? That CMC has no input on the defensive side but does on the offensive side?

It’s remarkable how similar these two fan bases have become. Hell maybe they always have been, I don’t know… It just made me laugh.

Your obssession with what fans think about coaches is interesting. I am sure some psych major would love to use you for his thesis.

Your obssession with what fans think about coaches is interesting. I am sure some psych major would love to use you for his thesis.

I love psychology and the study of human behavior. It’s honestly way more interesting than bitching about football. As you can see it’s not even unique or original, different teams, different coaches, different fans, same tired shit!!

I love psychology and the study of human behavior. It’s honestly way more interesting than bitching about football. As you can see it’s not even unique or original, different teams, different coaches, different fans, same tired shit!!
Pretty sure no one thought it was unique or original to fans of the Iowa Hawkeyes.

That dude is an absolute lunatic. Just saying.

Joe Frog, yes, but I was more interested in the responder, he said what I’ve said in a more succinct way and it made me laugh…

I mean think about it it’s pretty basic….”Wait you mean to tell me our head coach has lots of input on the failing unit, but not on the good one lol “

I love people who lay things out there in a manner that it’s hard for detractors to tear at.

The critic usually thinks they have some brilliant point. It is only relevant to them & their team but in reality it’s all just more of the same stupid crap board to board!

Last edited:
Reactions: F5n5
Joe Frog, yes, but I was more interested in the responder, he said what I’ve said in a more succinct way and it made me laugh…

I mean think about it it’s pretty basic….”Wait you mean to tell me our head coach has lots of input on the failing in unit, but not on the good one lol “

I love people who lay things out there in a manner that it’s hard for detractors to tear at.

The critic usually thinks they have some brilliant point. It is only relevant to them & their team but in reality it’s all just more of the same stupid crap board to board!

Since you seem to know so much about what is and isn't real, please enlighten us bumpkins as to how much involvement KF has with the offense, defense, and ST.

Other than you of course. Not sure why you thought this…

Here’s the over arching point Mr. Coors… You’re always going to be unhappy with your football coach. You’re just one of those people & “you people” are on every message board in the world!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

The biggest reason it struck me was its simplicity, and it literally made me laugh…

We routinely praise Phil like they do Heacock and give the head coach NO CREDIT, yet all or most of the credit on the poor unit does indeed pour over to the HC! It really is too dumb to even believe people operate that way!

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
There are more simiilarities in the two fan bases than there are differences. The only real contrast I've noticed is that the Hawkeye fan base appears to have no objective, intelligent, thinking fans such as I am for the Cyclones.

Reactions: Suterman
There are more simiilarities in the two fan bases than there are differences. The only real contrast I've noticed is that the Hawkeye fan base appears to have no objective, intelligent, thinking fans such as I am for the Cyclones.

That’s good stuff right there Lone clone!

Here’s the bottom line I want to be real clear with people about Iowa and their fandom…

Kirk Ferentz isnt unique, he isn’t uniquely stubborn, he isn’t uniquely anyone…He is a coach and a good long tenured coach and our fans criticisms of Kirk Ferentz aren’t unique they’re just like every other whiny bitchy negative fan on every other board in the history of the world ….

So I grab ancillary stuff from other boards just to show people they’re just like their Rival fans whom they think already are stupid…

Thats my motive… if you think you have a unique motive and thought, as it relates to Iowa football, you don’t!

Since you seem to know so much about what is and isn't real, please enlighten us bumpkins as to how much involvement KF has with the offense, defense, and ST.
That depends on whether you like him or not. If you don't like him, DC and STC are geniuses who have full control and succeed despite him and OC is under his thumb. If you like him, DC and STC are good but implementing KF's vision.

Middle of the road think it's a mixture.

Reactions: cmhawks99

I did see where Campbell said offense problems were execution and not formations and play calling. So Tom Manning probably gonna stay.

That depends on whether you like him or not. If you don't like him, DC and STC are geniuses who have full control and succeed despite him and OC is under his thumb. If you like him, DC and STC are good but implementing KF's vision.

You nailed it….Truth is MC is KF and he has done a solid job, but admittedly this ISU team has underperformed, maybe we have too…honestly not sure! It typically all evens out. What KF has done that our fans don’t understand is we have improved our talent on defense at the least and that has made us better!

We ARE better now than we were 5+ years ago!

I did see where Campbell said offense problems were execution and not formations and play calling. So Tom Manning probably gonna stay.

It is indeed a fine line, let’s admit our offense as well as theirs blows, but….they are terrific D’s so maybe, just maybe it’s not as easy as we think!

But, this would suggest that a major college coach actually understands what he sees on the field. Look at Iowa. I mean, to think a guy like Brian Ferentz who grew up in football, has played and coached in football for decades, with numerous elite coaches....to think he might actually know something about offense, well, that's plain stupidity. It's the fans that know! They can call better "plays." Execution means nothing. Every call that brings big yards is a good call! Every call that produces nothing is a bad call! And every fan would have the offense marching down the field for score after score!

Reactions: kceasthawk

And nothin from you, either. Check.

• Haha
Reactions: Hwk-I-St8
He also made his point! I’d say YOU have nothing

I didn't make any claims so I don't need to provide anything. You are the one who claims to know how much KF is involved in the different aspects of the game. And I am not the one constantly telling most of the people on here how foolish they are.

I didn't make any claims so I don't need to provide anything. You are the one who claims to know how much KF is involved in the different aspects of the game. And I am not the one constantly telling most of the people on here how foolish they are.

Exaggeration

Exaggeration

Nope. Not at all. You imply that none of the critics have any idea how much KF is involved with the defense, especially when compared to other HCs with an offensive background. The burden is on you to present the evidence.
Here is the deal: I have given KF and the program praise as much as I have criticized them over the years. He has done great things for the university and the state. I believe him to be a man of character.
He has a flaw that can no longer be ignored: he is so averse to risk in his offensive philosophy that the offense will never succeed in this modern era as long as that philosophy serves as a restrictor plate. They will not land difference-makers at WR because none of them want to play in that kind of scheme. Defenses will continue to attack the LOS since they have no fear of anything going behind then, and the OL will be overwhelmed whether they are starting 5 freshman or 5 fifth-year players. Getting rid of Brian will change nothing. Getting rid of Barnett MAY produce a small gain but the OL hadn't been good for a long time before Barnett. The defense will continue to be good-very good and they will play enough below average-average teams to win 8-9 games per year. They will not win a conference championship and will probably not be in another CCG when the divisions go away.
But at least Iowa will continue to >ISU.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
Nope. Not at all. You imply that none of the critics have any idea how much KF is involved with the defense, especially when compared to other HCs with an offensive background. The burden is on you to present the evidence.
Here is the deal: I have given KF and the program praise as much as I have criticized them over the years. He has done great things for the university and the state. I believe him to be a man of character.
He has a flaw that can no longer be ignored: he is so averse to risk in his offensive philosophy that the offense will never succeed in this modern era as long as that philosophy serves as a restrictor plate. They will not land difference-makers at WR because none of them want to play in that kind of scheme. Defenses will continue to attack the LOS since they have no fear of anything going behind then, and the OL will be overwhelmed whether they are starting 5 freshman or 5 fifth-year players. Getting rid of Brian will change nothing. Getting rid of Barnett MAY produce a small gain but the OL hadn't been good for a long time before Barnett. The defense will continue to be good-very good and they will play enough below average-average teams to win 8-9 games per year. They will not win a conference championship and will probably not be in another CCG when the divisions go away.
But at least Iowa will continue to >ISU.

I think that remains to be seen….considering we are markably better than we were say pre-2015, no I’m not in agreement about anything other than we are more consistent and better now!

That’s where it starts and stops with me. We both agree we have major offensive issues!

I’d also hope we can agree we are STILL better now, because we have been!

I think that remains to be seen….considering we are markably better than we were say pre-2015, no I’m not in agreement about anything other than we are more consistent and better now!

That’s where it starts and stops with me. We both agree we have major offensive issues!

I’d also hope we can agree we are STILL better now, because we have been!

Defense is better. ST is better. Offense is the worst it has ever been. Hawks have been "better" largely due to Wisconsin and NW being in decline. Iowa has feasted on Nebraska, Illinois, and somehow Minnesota during that time. The wins against Minny in 2019, 21, and 22 were their best of each season. Meanwhile, they have been 2-6 against the top 3 teams in the East with borh wins coming against PSU in down years for them.
So, again, as long as you can line up enough weak-average teams, 8-win seasons will continue and the Pistachios and Fn5s of the world will continue to thump their chests and preach the gospel of how Iowa is the only team that does things right and everyone else is either stupid or cheating.

Reactions: blhawk
Defense is better. ST is better. Offense is the worst it has ever been. Hawks have been "better" largely due to Wisconsin and NW being in decline. Iowa has feasted on Nebraska, Illinois, and somehow Minnesota during that time. The wins against Minny in 2019, 21, and 22 were their best of each season. Meanwhile, they have been 2-6 against the top 3 teams in the East with borh wins coming against PSU in down years for them.
So, again, as long as you can line up enough weak-average teams, 8-win seasons will continue and the Pistachios and Fn5s of the world will continue to thump their chests and preach the gospel of how Iowa is the only team that does things right and everyone else is either stupid or cheating.

Honestly, you wear me out. Oddly enough I’ve grown reasonably fond of you, and you may still think I suck, but all the same. I get you, you ARE NOT over the top “we suck, so blow it all up”…

Your reasonable per se, but…YOUVE never heard me insinuate Iowa does even most things Right!

BF from my vantage is an ass, KF has done what he was supposed to do and then some and WE ARE move relevant now than we were even Pre-2015. But he has numerous flaws, as do we all, right?!

I like us, honestly. Our offense blows, but I’m NOT mad as hell!

That’s me, nothing brilliant, nothing overly Homer, I like how we play and win! And I do want more, but….

Reactions: yrunvs
this won't be popular opinion on here, but if the Big12 was split in 2 divisions - with Oklahoma, Texas, and Baylor ( or TCU ) opposite of Iowa State - they would probably have similar results of Iowa. With MC as coach.

I don't see the ceiling or floors being that much different.

this won't be popular opinion on here, but if the Big12 was split in 2 divisions - with Oklahoma, Texas, and Baylor ( or TCU ) opposite of Iowa State - they would probably have similar results of Iowa. With MC as coach.

Maybe, can’t honestly quantify. As I got back in here to say to gray hair, I’m not gonna piss and moan about the schedule. It’s always rated higher than our fans care to admit, they just want everybody to be giddy about them all year long it’s just not gonna happen to anybody not named Ohio State or Alabama, etc.…

More importantly, as I pointed out the other day, we have lost 18 games in I think four years or five years 13 of those have been to 9 to 13 win teams!!

We are much better than a certain segment of our fans, like to give us credit for!

Iowa fans (myself included) loved to lampoon the Big 12 North. The B1G West this year is as bad as the North ever was. Nebraska was the 3rd best team in the Big 12. There isn't a West team this year that belongs anywhere near a NY 6 bowl. Not a single West team beat one of the top 3 East teams.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Iowa fans (myself included) loved to lampoon the Big 12 North. The B1G West this year is as bad as the North ever was. Nebraska was the 3rd best team in the Big 12. There isn't a West team this year that belongs anywhere near a NY 6 bowl. Not a single West team beat one of the top 3 East teams.

Whats the best win the divison has?

ADVERTISEMENT