ADVERTISEMENT

I was reading Cyclonefanatic and saw this…

Iowa fans (myself included) loved to lampoon the Big 12 North. The B1G West this year is as bad as the North ever was. Nebraska was the 3rd best team in the Big 12. There isn't a West team this year that belongs anywhere near a NY 6 bowl. Not a single West team beat one of the top 3 East teams.
Yeah, and when the Big 12 was formed, the criticism was that the North was so much stronger than the South. I think there may have been a few years when the Big 12 North was as weak as the BiG West is today, but it would be a close call.

Defense is better. ST is better. Offense is the worst it has ever been. Hawks have been "better" largely due to Wisconsin and NW being in decline. Iowa has feasted on Nebraska, Illinois, and somehow Minnesota during that time. The wins against Minny in 2019, 21, and 22 were their best of each season. Meanwhile, they have been 2-6 against the top 3 teams in the East with borh wins coming against PSU in down years for them.
So, again, as long as you can line up enough weak-average teams, 8-win seasons will continue and the Pistachios and Fn5s of the world will continue to thump their chests and preach the gospel of how Iowa is the only team that does things right and everyone else is either stupid or cheating.
Wow....I'm so glad I can enjoy the success Iowa has had (meager as it may be for some). It would really suck to have all those negative thoughts about the Hawks. Some of you seem so unhappy.

Reactions: F5n5 and cmhawks99
There are more simiilarities in the two fan bases than there are differences. The only real contrast I've noticed is that the Hawkeye fan base appears to have no objective, intelligent, thinking fans such as I am for the Cyclones.
Lone, don’t go outside with lightning in the area. You stand a good chance of getting struck.

Iowa fans (myself included) loved to lampoon the Big 12 North. The B1G West this year is as bad as the North ever was. Nebraska was the 3rd best team in the Big 12. There isn't a West team this year that belongs anywhere near a NY 6 bowl. Not a single West team beat one of the top 3 East teams.
You be delusional.

this won't be popular opinion on here, but if the Big12 was split in 2 divisions - with Oklahoma, Texas, and Baylor ( or TCU ) opposite of Iowa State - they would probably have similar results of Iowa. With MC as coach.

I don't see the ceiling or floors being that much different.
They literally lost to about everyone except West Virginia. So not sure what your point is. They play everyone so we know how they would be this year.

Defense is better. ST is better. Offense is the worst it has ever been. Hawks have been "better" largely due to Wisconsin and NW being in decline. Iowa has feasted on Nebraska, Illinois, and somehow Minnesota during that time. The wins against Minny in 2019, 21, and 22 were their best of each season. Meanwhile, they have been 2-6 against the top 3 teams in the East with borh wins coming against PSU in down years for them.
So, again, as long as you can line up enough weak-average teams, 8-win seasons will continue and the Pistachios and Fn5s of the world will continue to thump their chests and preach the gospel of how Iowa is the only team that does things right and everyone else is either stupid or cheating.
Where do you get the weak-average teams? In 2022 Sagarin has Iowa's strength of schedule at #22 while teams like USC, FSU, Notre Dame, and Clemson strength of schedule is 50+. 2021 Iowa's SOS was #24 while teams with similar wins like Pitt, NC State, Wake Forest all had SOS above 60.

If you think Iowa is going to beat Mich, OSU, and PSU on a consistent basis you need to follow recruiting closer. This year those three teams have 38 4 or 5 star recruits. Iowa has 2. The West division champ has never beaten the East and this year OSU and Mich are undefeated heading into their game against each other and could both be in the college play-offs. Adding USC and UCLA to our schedule will not make our schedule any easier as they are currently ranked in the top 20.

Wow....I'm so glad I can enjoy the success Iowa has had (meager as it may be for some). It would really suck to have all those negative thoughts about the Hawks. Some of you seem so unhappy.

I am not unhappy. I sat in Kinnick for the NW game and smiled more than I had in a long time. I also thought of that game like I used to think of UTEP or Drake back in the Hayden days. It was fun watching them destroy another team no matter how bad they were.
The really special memories are when the Hawks beat a legitimately good team. 83 OSU. 85 Michigan. 2008 PSU. 2017 OSU.
Those memories are not going to be replicated by this team. You have to be able to score points to beat a top team.
I will be hoping for a win tomorrow then hoping for a favorable matchup in the Music City or Reliaquest Bowl.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
Honestly, you wear me out. Oddly enough I’ve grown reasonably fond of you, and you may still think I suck, but all the same. I get you, you ARE NOT over the top “we suck, so blow it all up”…

Your reasonable per se, but…YOUVE never heard me insinuate Iowa does even most things Right!

BF from my vantage is an ass, KF has done what he was supposed to do and then some and WE ARE move relevant now than we were even Pre-2015. But he has numerous flaws, as do we all, right?!

I like us, honestly. Our offense blows, but I’m NOT mad as hell!

That’s me, nothing brilliant, nothing overly Homer, I like how we play and win! And I do want more, but….
Have you met and talked to Brian? You know he is an ass because? He can be edgy but so what. A whole lot of coaches are. I have no problem with that.

Reactions: F5n5
Where do you get the weak-average teams? In 2022 Sagarin has Iowa's strength of schedule at #22 while teams like USC, FSU, Notre Dame, and Clemson strength of schedule is 50+. 2021 Iowa's SOS was #24 while teams with similar wins like Pitt, NC State, Wake Forest all had SOS above 60.

If you think Iowa is going to beat Mich, OSU, and PSU on a consistent basis you need to follow recruiting closer. This year those three teams have 38 4 or 5 star recruits. Iowa has 2. The West division champ has never beaten the East and this year OSU and Mich are undefeated heading into their game against each other and could both be in the college play-offs. Adding USC and UCLA to our schedule will not make our schedule any easier as they are currently ranked in the top 20.

Sagarins ratings are a joke. It all comes down to how he weights different formulas. Iowa has played two quality teams this year. They had no chance of winning either of them. Let's look at the mighty West.
Illinois. 7-4. Have lost 3 straight. Best OOC win-Wyoming. Lost to Indiana and MSU
Purdue. 7-4. Best OOC win Fl Atlantic. Barely
Minny. 7-4. No OOC game worth mentioning. Pathetic schedule. Best conference win MSU.
Iowa 7-4.
Wiscy 6-5. Worst team they have fielded since early in the Barry era. Best win MD.
Nubby 3-8. Lost to Ga Southern. Best win Rutgers.
NW 1-10. Only win against Nubby

Best win by the west outside the division is arguably Iowa over SDSU.

You be delusional.

These guys are so desperate to make us all bitter like them they’ll literally reach for anything & not even flesh it out to see if it helps or hurts!

Here are the Big 12 teams in the top 50 winning percentage the last 10 years (2012 bad year for Iowa so no cherry picking)..,

OU of course, Okie St @ 12th, Baylor @ 29th, Kansa St @ 38th, TCU @ 41st…Texas you ask 57th…Not bad but hardly murderers row!

BigW…Wiscy @ 8th, Iowa @ 24th, Minne at 44th, NW for the record @ 54th ahead of Texas…

So that’s 42% of our teams in the top 50 and 50% of theirs, again not glaringly awful. Unless both are…..

Then on top of it since 2012 we have played Michigan #19, 5 times, Penn St #20, 7 times tOSU#2, 2 times & MSU #18, 5 times….

Soooooo as you can see that puts a whole new paint job on their bullshit!

ACC Coastal, Entirety of the PAC, Big 12 have been much maligned over the years.

Reality is this; they can look at the last several years, they can see our record they can see how competitive we’ve been… But that doesn’t fit their agenda so they’d like to pretend like we really haven’t been that good at all… But as you can see the facts don’t bare that out!

It’s soooo tired….

Have no fear, though they’ll be through in a minute or two to nitpick how good all of those teams have “really been”! LOL

Sagarins ratings are a joke. It all comes down to ratings are a joke. It all comes down to how he weights different formulas. Iowa has played two quality teams this year. They had no chance of winning either of them. Let's look at the mighty West Illinois. 7-4. Have lost 3 straight. Best OOC win-Wyoming. Lost to Indiana and MSU
Minny. 7-4. No OOC game worth mentioning. Pathetic schedule. Best conference win MSU.
Iowa 7-4.
Wiscy 6-5. Worst team they have fielded since early in the Barry era. Best win MD.

Of course Sagarins ratings are a joke. I just did a quick Google search and quite frankly Iowas strength of schedule is pretty consistently in the 20 to 28 range. Honestly please just stop don’t be a fan if you don’t want to. …

I have to share something else I’ve said before and I knew as soon as I saw you post it you’d forgotten that most of Hayden’s big wins came in low-scoring games but here you go …

83 vs tOSU 20-14
85 vs UM 12-10

You also skipped several other big wins by Iowa in the last five or six years, and when we played high-end teams under Hayden that we didn’t beat, they usually out scored us demonstratively.

We also play a lot more highend teams now!

No matter how badly you move the numbers around this has been a really good football team over the last seven or eight years !

I am not unhappy. I sat in Kinnick for the NW game and smiled more than I had in a long time. I also thought of that game like I used to think of UTEP or Drake back in the Hayden days. It was fun watching them destroy another team no matter how bad they were.
The really special memories are when the Hawks beat a legitimately good team. 83 OSU. 85 Michigan. 2008 PSU. 2017 OSU.
Those memories are not going to be replicated by this team. You have to be able to score points to beat a top team.
I will be hoping for a win tomorrow then hoping for a favorable matchup in the Music City or Reliaquest Bowl.
Tom Nichol says Hi---9-7? 85 Hawks say Hi---12-10? not sure what you smoked back in the day. 21 Hawks vs Penn St--
there have been quite a few close low scoring games recently with PSU when both were ranked or PSU was highly ranked--2010 at Happy Valley--the last play of the game with Barclay---

if a good defen

Reactions: cmhawks99
They literally lost to about everyone except West Virginia. So not sure what your point is. They play everyone so we know how they would be this year.
I wasn't talking about just this year. The fact remains that there are years when West teams don't have to play 2 of OSU, Mich, and PSU and that is a huge advantage. It's such an advantage it's a trend in winning the west. which Iowa will break if it wins Friday woo hoo

Sagarins ratings are a joke. It all comes down to how he weights different formulas. Iowa has played two quality teams this year. They had no chance of winning either of them. Let's look at the mighty West.
Illinois. 7-4. Have lost 3 straight. Best OOC win-Wyoming. Lost to Indiana and MSU
Iowa 7-4.

Why do you think Sagarin is a joke? The teams I listed were not close to Iowa in the rankings 30 and 40 positions lower. I listed two years of SOS, everyone knows the West is not very good this year. Last year the West had 4 teams with 9+ wins and won 3 of 4 bowl games not a surprise you did not discuss last year.

What is your definition of a quality team top 5? Most fans would say Illinois is a quality team and road wins are always difficult and would consider OSU and Mich great teams.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I wasn't talking about just this year. The fact remains that there are years when West teams don't have to play 2 of OSU, Mich, and PSU and that is a huge advantage. It's such an advantage it's a trend in winning the west. which Iowa will break if it wins Friday woo hoo

Woo hoo is right… As I pointed out above, we have played Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, and Ohio State 19 times in the last 10 years not even counting this year… And you are correct only two times has it been Ohio State but we have played good schedules. We have no reason to feel bad about it..

Well, that is, unless you have an agenda which you do…

Why do you think Sagarin is a joke? I listed two years of SOS, everyone knows the West is not very good this year. Last year the West had 4 teams with 9+ wins and won 3 of 4 bowl games not a surprise you did not discuss last year.

What is your definition of a quality team top 5?
Most fans would say Illinois is a quality team and road wins are always difficult and would consider OSU and Mich great teams.

Keep in mind they aren’t interested in debating you. Their only goal is to prove that Iowa really hasn’t been very good so we can’t take their success seriously and therefore we need to get rid of this guy that guy and do this and this and this and this.

If they had any real understanding of the college football landscape, they wouldn’t say this, but they just don’t have any real perspective.

They are right, and everybody else is wrong! WE SUCK!!!

Woo hoo is right… As I pointed out above, we have played Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, and Ohio State 19 times in the last 10 years not even counting this year… And you are correct only two times has it been Ohio State but we have played good schedules. We have no reason to feel bad about it..

Well, that is, unless you have an agenda which you do…
I don't have an agenda. just pointing out that most years the B1G West champion has played the schedule that skips 2 of Ohio, State, Mich, or PSU. That's a fact.

I don't have an agenda. just pointing out that most years the B1G West champion has played the schedule that skips 2 of Ohio, State, Mich, or PSU. That's a fact.

So does Alabama….I mean should we petition that we have to play them. We’re talking about strength of schedule. You are aware that Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Iowa all have a pretty similar winning percentage over the last 10 years,

If you drop that to 2017, Iowa is ahead of them….

Might be a good thing. Ohio State hasn’t had to play us very often. I’m sure Michigan might think so after 2016!

Tom Nichol says Hi---9-7? 85 Hawks say Hi---12-10? not sure what you smoked back in the day. 21 Hawks vs Penn St--
there have been quite a few close low scoring games recently with PSU when both were ranked or PSU was highly ranked--2010 at Happy Valley--the last play of the game with Barclay---

if a good defen

21 PSU finished 7-6, just like the best ISU team ever. I said legitimately good teams. 7-6 doesn't meet that criteria.

Yeah, and when the Big 12 was formed, the criticism was that the North was so much stronger than the South. I think there may have been a few years when the Big 12 North was as weak as the BiG West is today, but it would be a close call.
Your memory is shit which is a good thing when you're an ISU football fan. Here's a reminder of what a shit show the b12 north was... from 02-06 the record from the b12 north "champ" were:
9-5 (CO), 11-4 (k state), 8-5 (CO), 7-6😂 (CO), 9-5 (Neb). That is a complete joke. Yes the bten west is down but it's still better than the albatross that was the powder puff b12 north

If only the b12 north still existed nebraska and CO might still be good programs. At least the b12 had Tex and OU to carry them back in the 00's, now the whole conference is shit and they don't produce first round draft picks anymore. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the dumpster fire that is the 22 clones takes out the paper tiger that is tcu on Saturday. Good luck with that.

21 PSU finished 7-6, just like the best ISU team ever. I said legitimately good teams. 7-6 doesn't meet that criteria.

I do like it when you encourage me to go backwards & look up old data I’d forgotten about. That 1983 Iowa team that beat Ohio State promptly lost the the next game to Illinois 0 to 33!

I think it’s just best to assume we really have had a pretty decent run the last few years because I don’t really care what team or era you bring up I can compare them

Yet.

Nothing personal but you're the ideal opponent you're beaten before the ball is even snapped.

ADVERTISEMENT