ADVERTISEMENT

I was wrong about Iowa's QB situation

Was on the radio yesterday. Not sure if there is mutual interest. Could be hogwash…but I know a family friend who said they would not be surprised at all. So I tossed it out there. Would be intriguing but I also am not sure if KF would want to do it.
Neb will be all over Max. They were in the hunt for him out of HS. They are desperate for a miracle season to save Frost. Max is perfect for the.Husker system. Their beat writer said today that QB is priority one in the portal in the off-season.
I hope they do not get him.

Ask yourself, would a proud stubborn old football coach refuse to play backup, even though the starter is CLEARLY INJURED, just to prevent the certain to come fresh wave of criticism when his fanbase finds out, YET AGAIN, he made the wrong choice on starting QB?

Yes, yes he would. His dismissive BS response to the reporter last week was very telling.

Maybe you haven’t “given it much thought” because YOU DONT WANT TO Kirk. Maybe everyone else on the staff and fanbase HAD given it plenty of thought.

Why the hell do you get paid $4M to NOT THINK ABOUT WHO SHOULD BE STARTING AT QB?????!!!!
LOL. Kirk is hesitant to change because he doesn't want to be exposed as a fraudulent identifier of QB talent.

Got it.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
When ecactly did SP get hurt? Up until Purdue game he was servicable. Not great but not horrible. Then Purdue going forward he fell off a cliff. Did KF start and play a hurt QB for the past couple games? History has shown this move is in his repertoire.

Petras was 2-4. The 2 misses were woefully short so they switched to Padilla.
Yup. He completed 2 passes for 4 yards. The only 2 passes he attempted more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage fell about 5 yards short of the target.

Yup. He completed 2 passes for 4 yards. The only 2 passes he attempted more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage fell about 5 yards short of the target.
I was only commenting to the post that said they basically refused to throw the ball.

"Refuse" is probably the wrong word.

How about, avoid it if at all possible, and when forced, throw short.

When ecactly did SP get hurt? Up until Purdue game he was servicable. Not great but not horrible. Then Purdue going forward he fell off a cliff. Did KF start and play a hurt QB for the past couple games? History has shown this move is in his repertoire.

That’s a good question.

Im guessing it’s not just one incident although I’d like to hear when the rotator/shoulder injury took place.

Against PSU, he took a huge shot from a helmet to the inner thigh.

Against Wisconsin (in the 4th quarter) he was limping up to the LOS and waved off the Iowa sideline for a replacement or medical personnel.

I also noticed he was limping on the sideline after his third and final series. None of these explain a shoulder problem though.

Last edited:
I've read that he was hurt in the Wisconsin game. I have no links nor proof.

After watching Petras and Padilla perform the last two years is there anyone that can honestly say Padilla doesn't look like a more accomplished QB in every way. Even the announcers commented how smooth his release was and how confident he looked in the pocket. Also how accurate his throws were.

I've read that he was hurt in the Wisconsin game. I have no links nor proof.
He got sacked 8 times in the Wisconsin game, following 7 times by Purdue, and 8 times by PSU. It's no surprise the injuries are building up.

After watching Petras and Padilla perform the last two years is there anyone that can honestly say Padilla doesn't look like a more accomplished QB in every way. Even the announcers commented how smooth his release was and how confident he looked in the pocket. Also how accurate his throws were.

Very small sample size with Padilla thus far. That said, Petras is the only QB I've seen literally do a 360° in a clean pocket and throw an interception in a panic:

I also won't miss Petras throwing to absolutely nobody on 3rd and 1 when he actually has decent protection:

Some of our fanbase is incapable of positivity. Jesus Christ, the coach presumably knows he is employable only as long as he is winning. People turned on the sainted John Hayden Fray at the end. Most coaches, like most professional athletes, careers end at a time other than their choice.

So, the coach makes the move that it appears to have been the popular demand and people still bitch? I'm sure Spencer told the coaches he could play. Like the NFL, the Iowa starting QB is picked in camp and never comes out. This is still the dominant coaching philosophy at most places.

None of us are mind readers. We do not know how Alex will play as a starter. We do not know how Alex's different skill sets will affect the game plan. We do not know if, and if so, the extent of Spencer's injury. We certainly don't know the outcome of the Gopher's game.

Let's hope Alex starts and shines. That really seems the best outcome. Spencer is not returning if Alex plays well. If Alex bombs maybe Spencer, with all his shortcomings, is the best option (a situation recruiting needs to address) right now. For one, I'm don't want to see Spencer without giving Ben Hogan a shot. Just like to see another highly graded recruit QB have an opportunity before we return to known mediocrity.

Some of our fanbase is incapable of positivity. Jesus Christ, the coach presumably knows he is employable only as long as he is winning. People turned on the sainted John Hayden Fray at the end. Most coaches, like most professional athletes, careers end at a time other than their choice.

So, the coach makes the move that it appears to have been the popular demand and people still bitch? I'm sure Spencer told the coaches he could play. Like the NFL, the Iowa starting QB is picked in camp and never comes out. This is still the dominant coaching philosophy at most places.

None of us are mind readers. We do not know how Alex will play as a starter. We do not know how Alex's different skill sets will affect the game plan. We do not know if, and if so, the extent of Spencer's injury. We certainly don't know the outcome of the Gopher's game.

Let's hope Alex starts and shines. That really seems the best outcome. Spencer is not returning if Alex plays well. If Alex bombs maybe Spencer, with all his shortcomings, is the best option (a situation recruiting needs to address) right now. For one, I'm don't want to see Spencer without giving Ben Hogan a shot. Just like to see another highly graded recruit QB have an opportunity before we return to known mediocrity.
Amen

He got sacked 8 times in the Wisconsin game, following 7 times by Purdue, and 8 times by PSU. It's no surprise the injuries are building up.

I think I read a stat that Iowa has gave up more sacks in Wisconsin game than the Iowa DL has the entire B1G season. No wonder Petras looks good in practice--no pass rush.

ADVERTISEMENT