ADVERTISEMENT

I would love to have our own turbine(s)…

billanole

HR Legend
Mar 5, 2005
but I am pretty sure we have to much turbulence at our house. The trees we planted as a wind block and for shade are problematic as far as an unimpeded air flow.
This system looks solid and professional. At approx. 450 kilowatts of usage, we would need that many productive hours per month. A second unit would give redundancy and allow sale of excess juice to the local coop.

SkyWind NG wind turbines supply everything from single-family homes in Germany to mountain stations in the Himalayas. Our patented all-metal construction offers exceptional robustness even under the toughest conditions. Choose the best technology for your project.

Last edited:
Teddy Daniels approves of this thread. Gotta be self sufficient when the millennials start ransacking. Just make sure to keep good lines of fire around the compound and turbines.

Krull-Movie.jpg

Reactions: Pinehawk
but I am pretty sure we have to much turbulence at our house. The trees we planted as a wind block and for shade are problematic as far as an unimpeded air flow.
This system looks solid and professional. At approx. 450 kilowatts of usage, we would need that many productive hours per month. A second unit would give redundancy and allow sale of excess juice to the local coop.

SkyWind NG wind turbines supply everything from single-family homes in Germany to mountain stations in the Himalayas. Our patented all-metal construction offers exceptional robustness even under the toughest conditions. Choose the best technology for your project.
Looks like a gimmick

What are you gonna do, charge your cellphone with it?

Typical PowerCa. 50 - 150Watt

That's gonna power about 3 LED light bulbs, yo.....

Annual-Yield.jpg

Really? 2000 kWHr per year?
That's 5 kWHr/day, which is pretty meaningless (and based on their "50-150 W" production claim, the reality here is more like 1.2-3.6 kWHr/day - that's upper end)

You pay around $0.12-0.15 per kWhr, so that works out to maybe $0.18-0.50 per day. Maybe $40/yr you get in energy (assuming it is always producing).

So, unless they're selling them for $100-200 each, it could be a much longer ROI than solar panels....

Oh...shit....they want ~$2750 each for them, w/o install costs. That's a nearly 50 year ROI break-even.
No thanks.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I read it as a 1,000 watt/hour output. What did I miss?
No; it's around 1 kWhr per day.

The specs indicate around 100-150W typical (max) output.
They are tiny, and deliver very low power output.

EDIT: They are really only for very remote areas, where you have no access to power; and a larger turbine would be preferred, in any case, for those situations.

Last edited:
Some guy a few miles from my hometown had a sizable turbine (I’d guess 12-15’ish blades) installed on his small farm about a decade ago. He lived atop one of the few hills around in the heart of Iowa wind farm territory, so a windy location. I would visit the area 2-3 times a year and seldom saw that thing spinning. It’s been taken down within the past 5 years, so for whatever reason, it doesn’t appear it worked out well for the guy.

Some guy a few miles from my hometown had a sizable turbine (I’d guess 12-15’ish blades) installed on his small farm about a decade ago. He lived atop one of the few hills around in the heart of Iowa wind farm territory, so a windy location. I would visit the area 2-3 times a year and seldom saw that thing spinning. It’s been taken down within the past 5 years, so for whatever reason, it doesn’t appear it worked out well for the guy.
Back in the 90s, the Iowa Source news magazine had an article about a guy that went fully off grid in an old farmhouse. Had solar panels, a wind turbine, and a bunch of car batteries. Total setup quoted was $15k.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT