ADVERTISEMENT

IA wrestling champ charged with felony assault in connection with alleged hazing incident

High School Wrestlers Arrested For Alleged Locker Room Shower Hazing Incident Involving Broomstick​

Four members of the wrestling team at a South Jersey high school have been arrested and charged with aggravated assault and other charges related to an alleged sexual locker room hazing incident involving a broomstick, according to a report.

The arrested students, juveniles, are students and members of the wrestling team at Arthur P. Schalick High School in Salem County, New Jersey. The students, who wrestle for the high school, located in Pittsgrove Township, have been arrested and accused of "stripping a victim in a shower area at the school, restraining that victim and threatening to assault the victim with a broomstick," reported nj.com, citing a statement from Salem County Prosecutor John T. Lenahan.

The Nodaway Valley High School student, who didn't want us to show his face, says he recently quit the wrestling team out of fear that he would be sexually assaulted by other members, something he saw happen to other teammates.

"They threatened to do it to me if I missed another practice, so I didn't go back to practice, and I kind of quit," said the student.

Greenfield police say an incident was reported in late December at Nodaway Valley High School. Besides the fact that they are investigating, and that it involves several students, police won't reveal much more.

Greenfield residents told KCCI the attack happened in the locker room. They said several members of the school's wrestling team allegedly held down a 16-year-old teammate and sexually assaulted him as a punishment for missing practice.

I have been around the sport for almost 40 years, coached for 20, and I have never heard anything like this. Please don't make this seem like a normal thing for wrestlers to do.
It’s not normal and it’s good you haven’t experienced it. But unfortunately it is fairly widespread.

FWIW it’s also a pretty big problem in hockey.

I think “toxic masculinity” is a factor in those very tough, male-centric, tough guy sports. It’s good it’s being exposed and rejected IMO.

Newton, Ia. – The parents of a boy who described being sexually assaulted by wrestling teammates are upset at the lack of response by Newton school district officials.
On Thursday, the parents provided the Des Moines Register with the first detailed account of what their son, an underclassman, said happened before a Feb. 1 practice.
Multiple wrestlers were involved in committing the assault, the victim’s father said. The incident, he said, took place after coaches opened the wrestling room but no coaches were present.
The victim’s father said he reported the assault immediately to school officials and Newton police.
Since then, he said there has been little communication from the school — although school officials say they’ve taken action that will remain confidential.
Newton police records show an assault report in connection with the incident at 4:34 p.m. Feb. 1. But the victim’s parents said they never completed a sworn statement to police, pending action from the school.
“Every time we go there and bring it up, they tell us, ‘This is a legal matter, and we can’t give you any description,’ ” the victim’s father said of school officials. “Well, I’m sorry, my son is the victim. You can tell me what’s going on in the case. He’s the one who had it done to him.
“I should know about what’s going on in this case.”
The Register’s policy in sexual assault cases is to not publicly identify the victim. In this case, the Register is also not disclosing the parents’ identity, because that would have the same effect.
Newton Community School District Superintendent Steve McDermott disputed the claim that officials failed to respond to the family’s concerns.
An internal investigation of the incident was completed Feb. 7, he said.
“Actions certainly have been taken,” McDermott said Thursday, noting that he could not disclose any disciplinary measures “because of the rights of the students and of staff members involved.”
The victim’s father, however, said he has been told by high school principal Bill Peters that the investigation was ongoing. An attempt Thursday by the Register to meet with Peters was unsuccessful.
An email sent by McDermott to school board members on Feb. 1 references “two unfortunate incidents” that occurred inside Newton schools that day. The email was obtained by the Register through an open records request.
A case involving a middle school teacher who struck a student in the head was mentioned first in McDermott’s email. In this case, school officials acknowledge that the teacher involved was placed on administrative leave.
All references to the second incident were redacted by the school district, but school board member Sheri Benson told the Register on Feb. 11 that the email also included information about a “totally inappropriate” incident at wrestling practice.
Following the redacted portion of the email, McDermott wrote: “Behaviors in both of these incidents will not be tolerated and each has been and will continue to be dealt with as swiftly and decisively as possible, following policy and legal guidelines.”
McDermott’s email also instructed school board members not to talk about either situation.
Newton school board president Andrew Elbert declined to comment Thursday, as did school board member Don Poynter. When reached by phone, board member Dennis Combs deferred comment to McDermott. “That’s not my level of knowledge,” Combs said.
Repeated attempts to reach other school board members were unsuccessful.
The victim’s parents contend such silence has been the norm for the past three weeks.
“They’ve never once called us, sent a letter, sent an email,” the victim’s stepmother said.
The father was irked that two of the wrestlers he said were involved in assaulting his son competed in a Class 3-A district meet Feb. 9 — eight days after the incident.
The victim’s parents also said their son has been teased by other teens since the assault. The incident has become an inside joke among Newton students on Facebook and Twitter, the father said.
“They think it’s funny and cute, pinning people down and thumbing them,” he said.
The father said he has reported other incidents of bullying, with little response from officials.
The son has since had altercations with other students and was suspended.
“Now, he’s putting his hands up,” the father said. “You start punching people.”
Recalling the day of the incident, the victim’s father said he received a frantic phone call from his son, who told him, “I’m done wrestling.” The father said when he got to the school, he sought out 15th-year coach Bill Reed.
“I’m going to the man who is the source,” the father said. “You’re the man who is supposed to be watching my kid. You’re the one who’s got responsibility over my kid.”
He said Reed expressed concern but also feared reprecussions for himself and his staff. On Feb. 11, McDermott confirmed that three assistant coaches — not Reed — were running the wrestling team but did not comment on Reed’s status as coach.
“No comment,” Reed said Thursday when a Register reporter identified himself over the phone. “I’m going to go, bye.”
The victim’s father said he was still mulling whether to pursue charges with police.
But the incident has prompted the family to distance themselves from the situation.
“Our next step is, I’m removing my son from the school,” the father said. “We are also moving out of this town.
“I’m really disappointed in the school district, and I just can’t believe they would allow this to happen and not doing anything about it.”

Newton, Ia. – The parents of a boy who described being sexually assaulted by wrestling teammates are upset at the lack of response by Newton school district officials.
On Thursday, the parents provided the Des Moines Register with the first detailed account of what their son, an underclassman, said happened before a Feb. 1 practice.
Multiple wrestlers were involved in committing the assault, the victim’s father said. The incident, he said, took place after coaches opened the wrestling room but no coaches were present.
The victim’s father said he reported the assault immediately to school officials and Newton police.
Since then, he said there has been little communication from the school — although school officials say they’ve taken action that will remain confidential.
Newton police records show an assault report in connection with the incident at 4:34 p.m. Feb. 1. But the victim’s parents said they never completed a sworn statement to police, pending action from the school.
“Every time we go there and bring it up, they tell us, ‘This is a legal matter, and we can’t give you any description,’ ” the victim’s father said of school officials. “Well, I’m sorry, my son is the victim. You can tell me what’s going on in the case. He’s the one who had it done to him.
“I should know about what’s going on in this case.”
The Register’s policy in sexual assault cases is to not publicly identify the victim. In this case, the Register is also not disclosing the parents’ identity, because that would have the same effect.
Newton Community School District Superintendent Steve McDermott disputed the claim that officials failed to respond to the family’s concerns.
An internal investigation of the incident was completed Feb. 7, he said.
“Actions certainly have been taken,” McDermott said Thursday, noting that he could not disclose any disciplinary measures “because of the rights of the students and of staff members involved.”
The victim’s father, however, said he has been told by high school principal Bill Peters that the investigation was ongoing. An attempt Thursday by the Register to meet with Peters was unsuccessful.
An email sent by McDermott to school board members on Feb. 1 references “two unfortunate incidents” that occurred inside Newton schools that day. The email was obtained by the Register through an open records request.
A case involving a middle school teacher who struck a student in the head was mentioned first in McDermott’s email. In this case, school officials acknowledge that the teacher involved was placed on administrative leave.
All references to the second incident were redacted by the school district, but school board member Sheri Benson told the Register on Feb. 11 that the email also included information about a “totally inappropriate” incident at wrestling practice.
Following the redacted portion of the email, McDermott wrote: “Behaviors in both of these incidents will not be tolerated and each has been and will continue to be dealt with as swiftly and decisively as possible, following policy and legal guidelines.”
McDermott’s email also instructed school board members not to talk about either situation.
Newton school board president Andrew Elbert declined to comment Thursday, as did school board member Don Poynter. When reached by phone, board member Dennis Combs deferred comment to McDermott. “That’s not my level of knowledge,” Combs said.
Repeated attempts to reach other school board members were unsuccessful.
The victim’s parents contend such silence has been the norm for the past three weeks.
“They’ve never once called us, sent a letter, sent an email,” the victim’s stepmother said.
The father was irked that two of the wrestlers he said were involved in assaulting his son competed in a Class 3-A district meet Feb. 9 — eight days after the incident.
The victim’s parents also said their son has been teased by other teens since the assault. The incident has become an inside joke among Newton students on Facebook and Twitter, the father said.
“They think it’s funny and cute, pinning people down and thumbing them,” he said.
The father said he has reported other incidents of bullying, with little response from officials.
The son has since had altercations with other students and was suspended.
“Now, he’s putting his hands up,” the father said. “You start punching people.”
Recalling the day of the incident, the victim’s father said he received a frantic phone call from his son, who told him, “I’m done wrestling.” The father said when he got to the school, he sought out 15th-year coach Bill Reed.
“I’m going to the man who is the source,” the father said. “You’re the man who is supposed to be watching my kid. You’re the one who’s got responsibility over my kid.”
He said Reed expressed concern but also feared reprecussions for himself and his staff. On Feb. 11, McDermott confirmed that three assistant coaches — not Reed — were running the wrestling team but did not comment on Reed’s status as coach.
“No comment,” Reed said Thursday when a Register reporter identified himself over the phone. “I’m going to go, bye.”
The victim’s father said he was still mulling whether to pursue charges with police.
But the incident has prompted the family to distance themselves from the situation.
“Our next step is, I’m removing my son from the school,” the father said. “We are also moving out of this town.
“I’m really disappointed in the school district, and I just can’t believe they would allow this to happen and not doing anything about it.”
That formatting is hell to read, did it say what happened to the kid?

That formatting is hell to read, did it say what happened to the kid?
He was held down and "thumbed" by other wrestlers. He was ridiculed and made fun of by other students as word of the incident spread. He ended up transferring to a different school as did a couple others that probably had the same treatment. Two of the wrestlers involved were allowed to wrestle in districts which was a week or so later. It seems like every so often you read about the penetration with a broom handle, thumb, or now I guess in the most recent a pencil.

What was your search criteria?
Based on a cursory Google search, it seems like a pretty common problem in that sport across the country.

I wrestled in the mid 90s in HS on very good team. My freshman year we were all at the state tournament, and stayed at a hotel in Ankeny. One night the varsity team grabbed me from my room and duct taped me from ankle to neck and placed me in front of one of the coaches’ rooms. I was probably laying there for 30mins, until one came back to his room and cut me free.

Later that year at the end of season wrestling banquet I won the practice CD radio and a Pantera CD. It all worked out for me. (But no thumbs or writing implements were involved.)

Reactions: cigaretteman
If you Google football players hazing, you will be amazed at how many stories you will find. It's not a wrestling thing, it's a lot of high school sports.
I always stuck with basketball, that type of stuff never seemed to be an issue. I recall the wrestlers talking about "checking the oil." The longtime wrestling coach where I live now stepped down after a similar type situation in central Iowa. It was disgusting.
🤨

Then you haven't been paying attention. Lisbon and Nodaway Valley come to mind.

I’ve been paying attention for decades and this is the first I’ve heard of it. I’m familiar with checking the oil, but I’m not familiar with a specific incident, it doesn’t get talked about, and when it has come up every wrestler says, “WTF?”

8-B0-EADDF-B213-4-F30-8-C8-E-A05764-F0-BB5-D.png
Based on a cursory Google search, it seems like a pretty common problem in that sport across the country.

300-A81-B1-81-FB-42-CE-A8-FB-1-D9045-BB485-F.png

2-B1615-D1-16-FE-466-A-8071-DBB170-E81365.png

DA19-C2-A3-C859-41-D5-8-D6-A-1-CA5-D283-DDBA.png

A24-EF9-EA-3-CA2-435-B-820-D-C51-EC6-F100-F5.png

FA3-ACC0-E-B920-4666-A562-34-A1-DDB47171.png

A1-ED8-AEE-DC58-4-A68-BB52-5-DAF7-D24-D6-BD.png

I struggled with the formatting, but I think most of you can see the main thrust of my point here.

Now do any other major sport. JFC people only want validation anymore. I am not saying there has not been incidents in wrestling but people saying "doesn't surprise me it was a wrestler" is so FN stupid. It happens in all sports period. This is just a black mark on a sport I have been involved in my whole life.

Now do any other major sport. JFC people only want validation anymore. I am not saying there has not been incidents in wrestling but people saying "doesn't surprise me it was a wrestler" is so FN stupid. It happens in all sports period. This is just a black mark on a sport I have been involved in my whole life.
For sure, it’s a tale as old as time. Those English public school lads on the soccer team were big time buggerers.

There have just been quite a few stories about wrestling in the past few years.

That's from 2012.
- Four former Lisbon High School wrestlers were charged Thursday with misdemeanor assault charges for multiple incidents of bullying which came to light in late December

Nathan Taylor Jubeck, 18, and Dakota Christian VanDyke, 18, are charged with misdemeanor assault stemming from an incident in the shower locker room, according to a criminal complaint filed Thursday. They are accused of urinating on a 15-year-old. If convicted, they could face probation or up to 30 days in jail.

Delinquency charges of assault and third-degree harassment have also been filed in juvenile court against two 17-year-olds for incidents which occurred in the wrestling room, according to a news release from the Linn County Attorney's Office Thursday. They are accused of placing their genitalia in the 15-year-old's face. If convicted, the juveniles would face probation or time at the training school.

The allegations came to light in December, when a 15-year-old member of the team reported to school officials and the Lisbon Police Department that some upperclassmen of the team held him down while others allegedly placed their genitalia in his face, according to the release. The incident occurred before the coaches arrived and practice began.

In another reported incident, other wrestlers allegedly urinated on the 15-year-old in the shower of the locker room after practice concluded, according to the release. The 15-year-old didn't immediately report the abuse until some of the members threatened to continue such acts against him.

That's from 2012.
Oh that is strange, it was posted on this board in April 2022 for some reason. Here is the link.

“Wrestling hazing incidents”
Sort of my point. Google any sport + hazing and you will find plenty of stories. Still not a good look for wrestling fans when this sort of thing happens and the kid should be severely punished for what he did. Hard to fathom what he was thinking.

300-A81-B1-81-FB-42-CE-A8-FB-1-D9045-BB485-F.png

2-B1615-D1-16-FE-466-A-8071-DBB170-E81365.png

DA19-C2-A3-C859-41-D5-8-D6-A-1-CA5-D283-DDBA.png

A24-EF9-EA-3-CA2-435-B-820-D-C51-EC6-F100-F5.png

FA3-ACC0-E-B920-4666-A562-34-A1-DDB47171.png

A1-ED8-AEE-DC58-4-A68-BB52-5-DAF7-D24-D6-BD.png

I struggled with the formatting, but I think most of you can see the main thrust of my point here.
Well most states where wrestling is popular are red (Iowa, Oklahoma) and the rural areas in others are too (Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Minnesota) and wrestling is much more popular in rural and suburban areas than urban ones.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Oh that is strange, it was posted on this board in April 2022 for some reason. Here is the link.

I read the article back when it was originally published (2012).

Reactions: EasyHawk
Well most states where wrestling is popular are red (Iowa, Oklahoma) and the rural areas in others are too (Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Minnesota) and wrestling is much more popular in rural and suburban areas than urban ones.

You were exhibiting a correlation with wrestling. I was demonstrating another correlation.

Wrestling is definitely just as popular in blue states. California, Illinois, New Jersey and tons of purple states.

Reactions: cigaretteman
It’s wild how common crap like this was not even that long ago. Plenty of hazing went on when I was in high school. I always found it odd how it was viewed not as bullying or assault, but as necessary initiation. Where’s the “team building” in beating on someone? Embarrassing them? Assaulting them? It’s absurd.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
I’m glad the worst “hazing” my fraternity chapter did was politely ask me if they could pay for me to do the blazin’ challenge at Buffalo Wild Wings when I was a recruit/pledge.

You know, wrestling fans hate when anyone mentions anything about the homoeroticism of wrestling but then there is this... A little mild hazing here and there isn't an issue but shoving a pencil up a butt is sexual assault, not hazing.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
ADVERTISEMENT