ADVERTISEMENT

IC Duals Grades

UndercoverHawk

HR All-American
Dec 16, 2015
IC

Thought the ref was great. Vocal and communicated well to wrestlers. Good calls.

Stickley A Looked great in this match. Kept a good pace and worked on top.

Laux C- Laux looked incredibly unexceptional. Did not give hope to me.

Turk A- Turk came out well but never went for a tilt after the first period.

Sorensen B+ Pretty workmanlike. Wish he would’ve worked on getting back points in different ways.

Kem B+ Again workmanlike. Even though they were bad shots he gave up his legs a lot in this match.

Young A Young looked really good. He chain wrestled well and kept a high pace.

Gunther B Didn’t really impress even with the high point differential. Looked to have gassed in the 3rd.

Bowman A Bowman looked fantastic. Maybe the best relative to expectations.

Wilcke C Kinda went back to his last year form of being lackadaisical. He was very average last year before having a great tournament. Needs to improve.

Stoll A Didn’t get to see much. Quick fall.

Buffalo

Stickley D Wow completely different match. Really looked like a freshman in this match.

Glynn B Wrestled tough but bottom needs work. Lantry didn’t do anything. He won’t AA even though he ranked top 8.

Turk B+ Kid was kinda laying there on bottom but we weren’t looking to score from top. Should’ve had more points on this guy.

Sorensen A- Pace a little slow but he looked better in this match. Must’ve just needed a warmup match.

Kem A Lazy giving up his leg but turned it into a cradle and good stick.

Young A- Still looked great but not as explosive as first match. Showed some good defense. He looks skinny and I hope he can get some girth and muscle and fill out to 174.

Gunther B Got his td in the first then offense evaporated. Same stuff different year.

Bowman A- Bowman wrestles with great pace and looks like a man on a mission. Got sloppy and lazy at the end. If PD3 does come in at 184, I’d love to see Bowman at 197 or even 174 if Young stays down and Bowman can make the cut.

Wilcke A- Wow ref missed the fall at the end of 1. He had him down for a count. Wrestled with more urgency but still has a ways to go to score us points in March.

Stoll C- Was more of a girl fight than a wrestling match with all the face slaps. Need to get to our offense. Not a single upper body tie and took maybe 3-4 half shots.

NDSU

Love the casting crowns before the meet. Great Christian rock band.

Stickley F I’ve been really high on him but I think that was all premature.

Laux A Laux looked pretty good this match. Have to finish that at the end of the first. He was all but stuck. Finish him off.

Turk A Got back to looking for turns.

Sorensen A- Looks like Sorensen working on an ankle pick/low single this year. Glad he’s working on turns from top. Not just a spiral but working on getting the arm on the back. Workmanlike. Should score more on this guy though.

Kem A+ Cant believe he hit that cradle from there. Followed it with a good tilt. He was definitely looking to score from top in this match. Need more of this.

Young B Looked slow. Backed up in the third. Definitely his worst match of the day.

Gunther A He finally took some committed shots with the lead. Can’t be content with low scores. Have to put some points up.

Bowman B- Pace was definitely slower in this match.

Wilcke B/B- Good first period but followed it up with nothing.

Stoll A Got on his offense in a hurry this time. Worked really hard on top. Great way to end it.

Reactions: Thompy13 and Dagboi
I think it was a good first day for the Hawks. Lots of positive things to improve on. I think we found out Lee if healthy needs to go. Laux and Turk will be the guys moving forward. The 65/74 situation is a little unclear with the Bull being hurt. Bowman will fill in ok til PD3 comes in. As long as Wilcke wins matches I don't care how flashy it is. Stoll needs to get in better shape. March is what matters and I think Iowa will end up 4th.

IC
Laux C- Laux looked incredibly unexceptional. Did not give hope to me.

This was probably a better win than first appeared. From the Brands interview it seems like he may be making a big cut to get to 133. Guessing that had a lot to do with his loss to Glenn and maybe looking a little off in this match. That combined with Small was the 125 JUCO national champ last year and ended up beating the D1 #7 ranked 133lber yesterday.

This was probably a better win than first appeared. From the Brands interview it seems like he may be making a big cut to get to 133. Guessing that had a lot to do with his loss to Glenn and maybe looking a little off in this match. That combined with Small was the 125 JUCO national champ last year and ended up beating the D1 #7 ranked 133lber yesterday.
That wasn't Lantry that Small beat. Lantry bumped up to 141 against ICCC. Small barely edged the Buffalo backup.

Small beat Justin Patrick Buffalo backup 125 by 1 point

I can't wait to see Kem vs Nolf this year. The extra size on Kem is going to be a big factor. I think Kem closes the gap significantly.

My thoughts exactly. I am convinced Kem was significantly undersized last year, and was amazed at his accomplishments; I didn't think he could possibly do that well.

If he put on five pounds of muscle during the off season then I don't believe there's anybody he can't beat. I'd give him at least a 50-50 shot at Nolf. Better still, I see a lot of bonus points from him.

Easily my favorite Hawk right now.

Kem and Nolf kinda reminds me of Perry and Hendricks... honestly thought that was one guy Perry just couldn’t physically beat...we all know how that worked out
They also remind me a little of Gable and Owings, McIlravy and Marianetti, Becker and Johnston, Hahn and Fulsaas, Oliver and Ramos, and quite a few other rivals over the years where you figured one guy would always come out on top. Upsets happen all the time, and pretty shocking ones happen with some regularity in this sport. Why not our guys? I got faith.

Last edited:
I have said before and will say it again Kem is our best shot at a National Champ followed closely by Sorensen and then there is PD3.

IF he beats Willie then why not.
Well, I was really kidding, but sure -- if he beats Miklus and tears it up through Midlands, and if Spencer gets back to 100% and is also scorching earth, then it has to at least be considered. Because with those two, Downey, and a healthy lineup, we're a legit threat to win it all. . . and there's no time like the present. This year, in particular, with tOSU and PSU absolutely stacked, would be a great time to come out of nowhere and win it all. There's already tremendous momentum in the Iowa program and in the HWC, but a national team title this year would just give the Hawks and the HWC that much more of a boost.

Well, I was really kidding, but sure -- if he beats Miklus and tears it up through Midlands, and if Spencer gets back to 100% and is also scorching earth, then it has to at least be considered. Because with those two, Downey, and a healthy lineup, we're a legit threat to win it all. . . and there's no time like the present. This year, in particular, with tOSU and PSU absolutely stacked, would be a great time to come out of nowhere and win it all. There's already tremendous momentum in the Iowa program and in the HWC, but a national team title this year would just give the Hawks and the HWC that much more of a boost.
me too and i agree

Beating Miklus is a tall order in and of itself, but that's a whole lot of wishful thinking of stuff that has to go right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT