ADVERTISEMENT

Idaho House passes bill criminalizing gender-affirming care for trans youth

I agree with you on that. I dont think life in prison is appropriate.

I wish both sides would pump the brakes until more research is done.
What do you mean both sides need to pump the breaks? Only one side has made this an issue. Do you have data that says there was a sudden increase in the number of youth seeking treatment? Has the treatment changed recently? What does the side that supports parents making decisions for their own children need to pump the brakes on?

There have been no proposed laws that require parents to seek treatment for children that express transgender issues. There are no laws that require parents to give their children gender affirming care. Those of you like Hoosier, Art, etc. that think it is more appropriate to wait until the child is an adult before receiving care for a gender identity issue could do that before this law was proposed.

There is only one side that made this a national issue and it's not liberals or the LGBTQ community.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkbirch
What do you mean both sides need to pump the breaks? Only one side has made this an issue. Do you have data that says there was a sudden increase in the number of youth seeking treatment? Has the treatment changed recently? What does the side that supports parents making decisions for their own children need to pump the brakes on?

There have been no proposed laws that require parents to seek treatment for children that express transgender issues. There are no laws that require parents to give their children gender affirming care. Those of you like Hoosier, Art, etc. that think it is more appropriate to wait until the child is an adult before receiving care for a gender identity issue could do that before this law was proposed.

There is only one side that made this a national issue and it's not liberals or the LGBTQ community.

Amazeballs how self-proclaimed "conservatives" can be all over this government imposition, but look the other way at all the rash of school shootings and claim "we cannot possibly do anything about this".

Reactions: IA_HAWKI
Amazeballs how self-proclaimed "conservatives" can be all over this government imposition, but look the other way at all the rash of school shootings and claim "we cannot possibly do anything about this".
Hi.

Don't give a shit about any of this. The only thing I care about is boxing and MMA. I have zero desire to watch a biological male beat the shit out of a biological female. Put everyone together for all I care.

Thanks,

A conservative

Hi.

Don't give a shit about any of this. The only thing I care about is boxing and MMA. I have zero desire to watch a biological male beat the shit out of a biological female. Put everyone together for all I care.

Thanks,

A conservative
Then why are you posting in a thread that has nothing to do with transgender people competing in sports? This thread is about a state taking away the right of parents to seek medical treatment for their children.

Then why are you posting in a thread that has nothing to do with transgender people competing in sports? This thread is about a state taking away the right of parents to seek medical treatment for their children.
Whoops, wrong trans thread.

People under the age of 18 should not be making the decision to physically or chemically alter their body. After 18 they should do whatever the hell they want. The parents should not be able to make the decision on behalf of thr child. I fully support therapy and counseling for the child.

Last edited:
Whoops, wrong trans thread.

People under the age of 18 should not be making the decision to physically or chemically alter their body. After 18 they should do whatever the hell they want. The parents should not be able to make the decision on behalf of thr child. I fully support therapy and counseling for the child.

All those kids with cancer should just "suck it up" until they get to 18 (if they get there); no need to add chemicals into them.

Same with the kids with ADHD. Prolly just need to be smacked around more to "pay attention", like in the old days when they'd get "the ruler" for not behaving.

Kids these days....

Reactions: Huey Grey
This is evidenced by the decreased suicide rates for trans.

I know that sounds weird coming from me, but it is the sense of belonging, finally getting approval from parents and family (before coming out they might be considerd a problem child or troubled kid, after coming out they tend to be celebrated on the big scale). Being treated for underlying mental health issues, but most importantly, they gain a group of friends they identify with.
The funny thing is, when they declare they're trans the are often rejected by friends and family. Many of you "wait until 18" types are probably not going to embrace their new declared self. You've already dismissed them as being too young (too stupid) to know what they want. You do realize how dismissive this entire line of conversation is.

I do, but for whatever reason, trans has become a very political topic.

It has become unacceptable for people in the medical community to voice concerns about trans care otherwise they may be labeled transphobic.

I have also seen quite a few vocal psych doctors who are pushing their own personal agenda instead of approaching the topic subjectively. This is extremely concerning to me.

Sometimes laws have to be made to prevent harming people who cant adequately speak for themselves.
This is not understanding the process. It's like launching a nuclear warhead. The US president doesn't push the button and the nukes fire. The president just sends the order. Let's look at those checks and balances that someone has to go to get transgender surgery.

1. Children can't get treatment without parental consent. I can't think of any sane parent who wants to have their kid be this way and go through this journey. Even the most leftist, hippie commune, weed smoking parents, from San Franciso don't want their kids to go through this but would be supportive.

2. The patient is seen by two mental health experts. One of which has to be a PhD level psychologist or an MD level psychiatrist. Preference is for providers with experience with the trans community.

3. No one under 18 is supposed to undergo surgery.

4. Patient must be evaluated by a surgeon.

Look, here are two experts voicing some concern/dissent. Bowers (who is transgender herself) is set to lead WPATH (the international transgender organization). Sure looks like there is no room for discussion in the medical community.

How about you let the experts sort this out and not the legislators.

This is not understanding the process. It's like launching a nuclear warhead. The US president doesn't push the button and the nukes fire. The president just sends the order. Let's look at those checks and balances that someone has to go to get transgender surgery.

1. Children can't get treatment without parental consent. I can't think of any sane parent who wants to have their kid be this way and go through this journey. Even the most leftist, hippie commune, weed smoking parents, from San Franciso don't want their kids to go through this but would be supportive.

2. The patient is seen by two mental health experts. One of which has to be a PhD level psychologist or an MD level psychiatrist. Preference is for providers with experience with the trans community.

3. No one under 18 is supposed to undergo surgery.

4. Patient must be evaluated by a surgeon.

Look, here are two experts voicing some concern/dissent. Bowers (who is transgender herself) is set to lead WPATH (the international transgender organization). Sure looks like there is no room for discussion in the medical community.

How about you let the experts sort this out and not the legislators.

This article is literally saying my entire argument. i will take this article as validation that you agree with me, even though you might not use those words.

From your linked article.
'But honestly, I can't sit here and tell you that they have better — or even as good — results. They're not as functional. I worry about their reproductive rights later. I worry about their sexual health later and ability to find intimacy.'

Anderson said she feared many young people would regret their decisions.

'It is my considered opinion that due to some of the - let's see, how to say it? what word to choose? - due to some of the, I'll call it just 'sloppy,' sloppy healthcare work, that we're going to have more young adults who will regret having gone through this process,' she told the site.

'There are definitely people who are trying to keep out anyone who doesn't absolutely buy the party line that everything should be affirming, and that there's no room for dissent,' Bowers said.

This article is literally saying my entire argument. i will take this article as validation that you agree with me, even though you might not use those words.

From your linked article.
'But honestly, I can't sit here and tell you that they have better — or even as good — results. They're not as functional. I worry about their reproductive rights later. I worry about their sexual health later and ability to find intimacy.'

Anderson said she feared many young people would regret their decisions.

'It is my considered opinion that due to some of the - let's see, how to say it? what word to choose? - due to some of the, I'll call it just 'sloppy,' sloppy healthcare work, that we're going to have more young adults who will regret having gone through this process,' she told the site.

'There are definitely people who are trying to keep out anyone who doesn't absolutely buy the party line that everything should be affirming, and that there's no room for dissent,' Bowers said.

I don't think you understand the nuance of the situation.

1. There are always bad apples in any field who will do the wrong thing- cut corners, do things for money, etc.
2. It appears that we are self policing our own physicians and trying to work it out.
3. We are in newish territory. We might over correct one direction and swing back.
4. We have controversy even among experts.

I think you and I agree that done poorly, some rare patients might be harmed by bad actors.

However that does not mean:
1. Throw the baby out with the bath water and ban all forms of therapy.
2. The ban will have some real impacts on patients and the harm hasn't been adequately assessed.
3. This issue is so aggregous that it requires the focus of the state legislators to pass nonpartisan legislation when there are bunch of societal problems which need addressing of far greater importance and magnitude.

I don't think you understand the nuance of the situation.

1. There are always bad apples in any field who will do the wrong thing- cut corners, do things for money, etc.
2. It appears that we are self policing our own physicians and trying to work it out.
3. We are in newish territory. We might over correct one direction and swing back.
4. We have controversy even among experts.

I think you and I agree that done poorly, some rare patients might be harmed by bad actors.

However that does not mean:
1. Throw the baby out with the bath water and ban all forms of therapy.
2. The ban will have some real impacts on patients and the harm hasn't been adequately assessed.
3. This issue is so aggregous that it requires the focus of the state legislators to pass nonpartisan legislation when there are bunch of societal problems which need addressing of far greater importance and magnitude.
I agree with this.

See this is proof that two sides can disagree on almost everything, and yet, still find common ground!

Reactions: Colonoscopy
All those kids with cancer should just "suck it up" until they get to 18 (if they get there); no need to add chemicals into them.

Same with the kids with ADHD. Prolly just need to be smacked around more to "pay attention", like in the old days when they'd get "the ruler" for not behaving.

Kids these days....
You want to use childhood cancer as some sort of grandstand for yourself? My god you are a douche

ADHD drugs are really terrible for kids. They cover up the problem not actually address thee underlying issue or provide coping mechanisms for the kids who are affected. In other words terrible for the kids but sure makes it easier on some adults that want convenient solutions for themselves. That does sound familiar when compared to trans issues doesn't it? Some educators and therapists deciding what should happen with kids that aren't theirs based on pseudoscience.

ADVERTISEMENT