ADVERTISEMENT

Idaho moves to restrict crossing state lines to obtain an abortion.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008

This will initially cover the movement of minors, but it inevitably will be pushed to cover adults. 2-5 years in prison for anyone who assists in obtaining a surgical or pharmaceutical abortion.
Which state will be the first to imprison a woman who travels out of state to obtain an abortion? That would be the logical next step for the pro life movement.

This will initially cover the movement of minors, but it inevitably will be pushed to cover adults. 2-5 years in prison for anyone who assists in obtaining a surgical or pharmaceutical abortion.
Which state will be the first to imprison a woman who travels out of state to obtain an abortion? That would be the logical next step for the pro life movement.
It's not that bad. Do you think a minor should be allowed to have an abortion without their parents knowledge?

7gaxth.png

Reactions: ThorneStockton

Freedom.

It's not that bad. Do you think a minor should be allowed to have an abortion without their parents knowledge?
In some instances, yes. And, as mentioned, this doesn’t end here. Do you think any adult woman should have her movements across state lines restricted on the belief that she might be attempting to obtain an abortion? If an Idaho state trooper pulls over an obviously pregnant woman going towards Washington are they allowed to ask her if she’s planning on getting an abortion?

What if the child was raped by the parent? From the article, Idaho law only allows abortions for medical reasons.

Edit to add, serious question. Do you think a parent should be able to force their children to carry a baby to term?

Everybody entering Idaho’s armed border crossings going to have to sign a paper saying they didn’t just get an abortion? How is this even enforceable….

Or heck, if the teen girl in question just lies to the adult and said her parents signed off on it, do they have to provide proof it was okayed?

Skip enforcement, this doesn’t seem constitutional to me.

Or heck, if the teen girl in question just lies to the adult and said her parents signed off on it, do they have to provide proof it was okayed?

Skip enforcement, this doesn’t seem constitutional to me.
And what would that open up if it did pass? We now have to provide intent as to why we are crossing state lines? Jfc. This is all getting ridiculous….

Yes I do. I say that having raised two very bright and independent women. It's their business not yours.
I am pro-choice. I am just not sure a 16 year old should get an abortion without the parents knowledge. Of course there should be some exceptions.

Depends, doesn't it?

Do you think a 14 year old who was raped should be forced to have a child becasue her parents are religious zealots?
There should always be exceptions. I am saying in general. If this was a case of getting knocked up by her boyfriend I do think the parents should know.

What if the child was raped by the parent? From the article, Idaho law only allows abortions for medical reasons.

Edit to add, serious question. Do you think a parent should be able to force their children to carry a baby to term?
Of course I don't think a child should be forced to carry the baby to term. I do believe in exceptions. Let's go to the extreme. What if a 12 year old gets knocked up? Would you as a parent want to be included in the process? Not a religious zealot just a normal parent.

Of course I don't think a child should be forced to carry the baby to term. I do believe in exceptions. Let's go to the extreme. What if a 12 year old gets knocked up? Would you as a parent want to be included in the process? Not a religious zealot just a normal parent.
Of course. And if I’m against abortion or thought it was a bad choice I’d counsel her. I wouldn’t stop her though. Id take her there and hold her hand. I’d hope her mother would go into the room with her. I’d buy her ice cream after and cry with her. Id do whatever I could to support my daughter.

What I would not do is turn my daughter into a baby factory if she had no desire to become pregnant. Especially at 12 years old. How unhealthy is that for her, physically and emotionally?

In a previous post you asked if you were the parent wouldn’t you want to know. That isn’t the issue. The issue is consent. The law doesn’t say inform, it says consent. It doesn’t say anything about a bypass. Does it require both parents or just one? What if mom or dad is out of the picture? What if they are both drunks that have no real involvement in the day to day life of the child and want to punish her for getting pregnant?

This is a stupid misinformed law. Something that we expect out of the modern GOP.

Reactions: 3 and Out on D
Of course. And if I’m against abortion or thought it was a bad choice I’d counsel her. I wouldn’t stop her though. Id take her there and hold her hand. I’d hope her mother would go into the room with her. I’d buy her ice cream after and cry with her. Id do whatever I could to support my daughter.

What I would not do is turn my daughter into a baby factory if she had no desire to become pregnant. Especially at 12 years old. How unhealthy is that for her, physically and emotionally?

In a previous post you asked if you were the parent wouldn’t you want to know. That isn’t the issue. The issue is consent. The law doesn’t say inform, it says consent. It doesn’t say anything about a bypass. Does it require both parents or just one? What if mom or dad is out of the picture? What if they are both drunks that have no real involvement in the day to day life of the child and want to punish her for getting pregnant?

This is a stupid misinformed law. Something that we expect out of the modern GOP.
I would do the first paragraph only but also support the abortion. The rest is putting words in my mouth. I would also have zero problems breaking the law.

I would do the first paragraph only but also support the abortion. The rest is putting words in my mouth. I would also have zero problems breaking the law.
I didn’t put any words in your mouth I asked simple questions, as did you.

Well, you have to pay for most abortions. So, wouldn’t it be a commercial transaction that a state is trying to prevent their citizens from executing in another state? If so, the constitution has the commerce clause which prevents states from restricting interstate commerce. This isn’t like preventing someone from mail ordering marijuana from a legalized state. This is actual outlawing of a person entering another jurisdiction to perform a legal transaction in that jurisdiction. Don’t see how this would stick in courts if the argument was made along those lines.

How else can I say this. I am pro-choice. I do believe there are situations that the parent should be informed. What is wrong with that? A normal parent.
But this isn’t about informing the parents. It’s about consent. Two very different things.

But this isn’t about informing the parents. It’s about consent. Two very different things.
True. I just believe a majority of parents of a child in this situation would have their back. I realize Idaho is a totally different conversation. Especially with the Mormon influence in the state. Edit: I would also be in favor of the kid not going to a different state illegally if their parents wouldn't consent. I would actually drive them and pay for it.

True. I just believe a majority of parents of a child in this situation would have their back. I realize Idaho is a totally different conversation. Especially with the Mormon influence in the state. Edit: I would also be in favor of the kid not going to a different state illegally if their parents wouldn't consent. I would actually drive them and pay for it.

Unfortunately, “most” is not “all”.

How else can I say this. I am pro-choice. I do believe there are situations that the parent should be informed. What is wrong with that? A normal parent.
I get that. This law doesn’t require the parents being informed, it requires their consent. I’d be fine with then being informed.

Reactions: globalhawk
If it's illegal to transport someone across the Idaho state line:
What if someone just drove them just short of the border and allowed them to walk across? Maybe even pick them up again on the other side?
What if someone takes a bus? Is the bus driver legally responsible?
What if someone gives a ride to the Spokane Planned Parenthood but doesn't know that the purpose of the visit is to get an abortion? (PP does far more than abortions.) Are they still liable? What if the person who got an abortion lied to the driver? What if the driver suspected, but didn't know and didn't ask?

If the Idaho legislature is as inept as Iowa's about passing poorly thought-out reactionary legislation without providing guidance and numerous unintended consequences, there's a good chance that the answer to at least some of these questions is unclear at best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT