ADVERTISEMENT

Idea to reduce sexual exploitation of children in churches

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
The almost *weekly revelations of youth pastors, ministers etc molesting children results in crickets from the same folks who immediately demand action from their elected officials at the sight of one picture of a child standing next to a drag queen. It is a national tragedy occurring before our mostly closed eyes. It is clear to me that these church leaders are not subjected to proper oversight by the church as a whole and this allows the sexual assault of our children to continue with no negative consequences for the church.

My idea? Upon conviction of any church leader (paid or volunteer) of sexual assault/exploitation on a child, that church immediately loses their tax exempt status. And, the tax exemption loss is retroactive to the time of the assault. Their tax exempt status can only be regained after proof of implementing and following rules to protect the children.

Anyone opposed to such focus on and regulation of this problem must be groomers themselves.

You sure are obsessed with clerics who abuse children.

Do you also hate teachers? It seems like we have a new story about a teacher getting arrested every week for making the sex with students.

Reactions: abby97
You do understand it is said churches that broadly say gays, trans, etc are a threat to the children, right? I don't see teachers saying the same thing en masse.
So it’s not so much the raping and diddling that boils your blood, it’s mostly the hypocrisy of it all?

Reactions: timinatoria
So it’s not so much the raping and diddling that boils your blood, it’s mostly the hypocrisy of it all?
I'm also getting the feeling you must be a groomer in the same way anyone opposed to the Florida legislation must be a groomer ;)

Reactions: NDallasRuss
If I can reduce/solve one pillar of the problem I've done more than those who make bank off of saying we need to protect the children while they are a big part of the problem.
Schools and teachers don’t get paid to educate and protect children?

Do you also hate teachers? It seems like we have a new story about a teacher getting arrested every week for making the sex with students.
You are the exact kind of idiot OP is referring to. Don’t condemn the people doing it and enabling it, condemn the people speaking out against it. Typical religious BS.

The almost *weekly revelations of youth pastors, ministers etc molesting children results in crickets from the same folks who immediately demand action from their elected officials at the sight of one picture of a child standing next to a drag queen. It is a national tragedy occurring before our mostly closed eyes. It is clear to me that these church leaders are not subjected to proper oversight by the church as a whole and this allows the sexual assault of our children to continue with no negative consequences for the church.

My idea? Upon conviction of any church leader (paid or volunteer) of sexual assault/exploitation on a child, that church immediately loses their tax exempt status. And, the tax exemption loss is retroactive to the time of the assault. Their tax exempt status can only be regained after proof of implementing and following rules to protect the children.

Anyone opposed to such focus on and regulation of this problem must be groomers themselves.
Churches should lose their tax exempt status regardless.

You are the exact kind of idiot OP is referring to. Don’t condemn the people doing it and enabling it, condemn the people speaking out against it. Typical religious BS.
Yeah, it looks like you missed my point entirely here.

Yeah, it looks like you missed my point entirely here.
And, you have avoided the point of the post. Do you feel this would be a positive step in reducing sexual assault of children? Actually holding churches accountable for those in their leadership?

You would be incentivizing them to cover it up.

Reactions: OILCHECKER
There should be an armed officer present for all church activities that include children. Rs should love this idea as it will also harden those targets(and not just harden the religious weirdos over kids) from pew pews.

Reactions: NoleATL
And what is your stupid ass point, @TJ8869 ? That unless and until OP takes up equal issue with teachers he needs to hold off taking issue with churchers? Is that your stupid ass point?

We all have our pet issues, or prioritize them differently, or whatever.

You prioritize being an obstinate dipshit, seemingly arguing only for the sake of arguing, finding the weirdest angles at shit.

This entire thread.
So…basically nothing, then? You have absolutely nothing to back up your bullshit accusation.

I’m not defending the Christian right. My entire point in “this entire thread” is that OP’s suggestion is absurd. It’s absurd to punish an entire church because of the criminal actions of one (1) person. I’m fairly certain that wouldn’t even pass constitutional muster.

Everyone who abuses children should be held accountable. Everyone who is complicit in enabling or covering up that abuse should be held accountable.

But punishing an entire church because the youth pastor molested a parishioner? That’s every bit as absurd as punishing an entire school because one of the English teachers banged a student.

Reactions: timinatoria
Schools are required to at least do background checks before allowing people to work with children. They also have clear reporting procedures in place. Why don't most churches bother to do this?

You also don't have frequent instances where multiple teachers are involved with bad behavior and/or covering up malfeasance (of any kind, including sexual abuse) like you see in religious organizations or law enforcement. Whatever anyone thinks is wrong with public education, there is definitely not a culture of circling the wagons to protect teachers who abuse their position.

Teach your kids about morals, spirituality, “karmic retribution”, etc (I.e. the topics covered by most religions) at home.

Im willing to bet a lot of people who died and ended up with a “positive afterlife” never step foot in a house of worship.

you can be a good Christian, Catholic, Protestant, Hindu, Jew, Muslim, Buddhist etc without going to church/temple.

I am? How about some examples?
Your first post, instead of saying "YES, ANYTHING WE CAN DO TO PROTECT CHILDREN! Lets solve for church, because the behavior and subsequent cover-ups are abhorrent.", you opt for whataboutism for OTHER criminals.

Why not make two separate statements or start your own thread on a solution to solve the teacher problem since there are some notable differences.

So there is 1 example of you defending by deflecting attention. It's not very hard, with such a widespread issue, it will require multiple solutions based on the scenario. Penalize the individual as well as the organization that doesn't act in an appropriate punitive manner.

Clearly it being illegal isn't sufficient to dissuade the behavior.

So…basically nothing, then? You have absolutely nothing to back up your bullshit accusation.

I’m not defending the Christian right. My entire point in “this entire thread” is that OP’s suggestion is absurd. It’s absurd to punish an entire church because of the criminal actions of one (1) person. I’m fairly certain that wouldn’t even pass constitutional muster.

Everyone who abuses children should be held accountable. Everyone who is complicit in enabling or covering up that abuse should be held accountable.

But punishing an entire church because the youth pastor molested a parishioner? That’s every bit as absurd as punishing an entire school because one of the English teachers banged a student.
Dude, STFU you weirdo.

Lol @ all of you fvcking idiots who think we should punish an entire church because of the actions of one individual.

Lol @ all of you fvcking idiots who think we should punish an entire church because of the actions of one individual.

Except when the specific church or diocese leadership takes an active role in hiding, dismissing, failing to ensure the safety of the children, then the become negligible at best, culpable certainly. Especially if the individual is a repeat offender and has had a history. All of that is far too common. So again, stop trying to dismiss and deflect and deal with the issue head on.

Doesn't seem to be a once in a decade event.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
They should go after anyone who exploits kids. The laws should be applied no matter who the exploiter is or what position or organization they are in. The exploits in the Catholic Church over the years is proof that internal investigations alone don’t work. Law enforcement, investigators and DAs have to be involved.

Reactions: funksouljon
Except when the specific church or diocese leadership takes an active role in hiding, dismissing, failing to ensure the safety of the children, then the become negligible at best, culpable certainly. Especially if the individual is a repeat offender and has had a history. All of that is far too common. So again, stop trying to dismiss and deflect and deal with the issue head on.

Doesn't seem to be a once in a decade event.
Now you’re trying to change the parameters of the discussion. Did you even read what the OP wrote? Because that’s not what he wrote, not by any stretch of the imagination. He didn’t limit his plan to situations of institutional coverup. If that had been the case then his plan would have some merit.

Nope. He proposed a blanket policy with zero exceptions. Here’s what he suggested, and I’m quoting actual words that he actually wrote here:

“Upon conviction of any church leader (paid or volunteer) of sexual assault/exploitation on a child, that church immediately loses their tax exempt status. And, the tax exemption loss is retroactive to the time of the assault. Their tax exempt status can only be regained after proof of implementing and following rules to protect the children.”

Any church leader, paid or volunteer. No mention at all of institutional coverup. In other words, if the volunteer youth pastor at the First Baptist Church in Anytown, USA has an inappropriate relationship with a 14-year-old girl in his congregation, and only he and the girl know about it, OP wants to revoke the church’s tax exempt status retroactively to when the criminal activity started.

If you want to punish a church for systemic abuse and coverup then that’s a discussion worth having. But it’s beyond ridiculous to punish an entire church for the criminal actions of one employee if no one else in the church even knew about it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: EasyHawk
And, you have avoided the point of the post. Do you feel this would be a positive step in reducing sexual assault of children? Actually holding churches accountable for those in their leadership?
Maybe, but how do you know the church leadership knows what is going on? So because a priest is a POS the whole church should be punished? Maybe to prevent teachers from banging kids we should take funding away from any school that has a teacher get caught. Do you think that would be effective in reducing teachers banging students?

I would agree with you if they can prove the church leadership committee knew about the assults and did nothing.

Drag the offender in front of the church and put two in his head.

WWJD puts words in other poster’s mouths like men put their dicks in his.
Steve Mcgarrett Tani Rey GIF by CBS

ADVERTISEMENT