ADVERTISEMENT

Ideal Minute Distribution?

HawkRose

HR All-State
Sep 26, 2017
So we are coming up on big games, Fran will shave the lineup down to 10. That said he has a tough task to get everyone minutes. Below is me just messing around trying to find enough minutes. My personal fear is that Jbo and Conner will get too many minutes, especially early on. It's hard to find enough time unless we go with small ball lineups which will be tough with BIG team makeups. Sandfort, Perkins and Kris M have earned more time. I'm fine with having Jbo as a spot up shooter but if he is not hitting his minutes should be reduced for that game. I see zero reason for Conner to get minutes over Sandfort/Kris/Perkins.

PG Touisant 25 / Ulis 15
SG Jbo 20 / Perkins 15 / Sandfort 5
SF PMac 10 / Sandfort 15 / Kris 15
PF Keegan 20 / Conner 10 / Pmac 10
C Rebracha 20 / Keegan 15 / Riley 5

It's going to be hard to sit JBO. Cut his minutes but he'll be on the floor 25% of the games...

I'm high on sandforts future, but probably ok to ease him into things. Be nice to see him play a few p6 teams before assigning him a ton minutes.

Also I hope Fran plays the guys that are playing well any given day. Thats who I want playing :).

Reactions: Ronman
Top 7 will all be over 30 minutes and closer to 35 for Top 3 unless a game is a blowout either way.

I think Mulvey needs to get more minutes whenever possible early in the season. I know he's not a main player this year, but I think the minutes they give him now will pay off later this season. He has some really good skills, but needs to work on the small things that will get him into better position for rebounds and guarding the rim more. He is a half a step late right now and I think it can be fixed with a little more game time. I think his upside is large.

So we are coming up on big games, Fran will shave the lineup down to 10. That said he has a tough task to get everyone minutes. Below is me just messing around trying to find enough minutes. My personal fear is that Jbo and Conner will get too many minutes, especially early on. It's hard to find enough time unless we go with small ball lineups which will be tough with BIG team makeups. Sandfort, Perkins and Kris M have earned more time. I'm fine with having Jbo as a spot up shooter but if he is not hitting his minutes should be reduced for that game. I see zero reason for Conner to get minutes over Sandfort/Kris/Perkins.

PG Touisant 25 / Ulis 15

That's probably been what I was hoping most would be avoided as well. Not just early, but throughout the entire season.
I fully agree with more minutes for Kris, Perkins and Ulis. And I think most of those minutes should be as a result of less court time for Connor and Jordan.
I might shave a few more off what Jordan is getting to somewhere between 15-20 depending on the game.
Keegan is the one absolute at 35+/game.

A. There’s no way in gods green earth that I would take our elite scorer and make him play post defense where he will get fouls and will sit out minutes owing to Frans archaic 2 foul 1h rule.

keegan, Kris starting at forward, backed up by PMac and sanfort.( if he’s hot, I’d play him almost anywhere )
Ogundele at center backed up by Rebraca
perkins at shooting guard backed by jobo
JoeT and Ulis

• Haha
Reactions: topherchris20
It needs to be fluid contingent on whether or not Bohannon is making shots, Rebraca is able to grab rebounds/defend the post effectively, Perkins is playing with confidence, etc.

I think they are going to need Pat, Kris, and Sandfort to play a lot just due to lack of general size. Rebracca has been slightly disappointing so far but he is still going to have to be out there for size.

Perkins is really active on D- would like to see more of it.

It needs to be fluid contingent on whether or not Bohannon is making shots, Rebraca is able to grab rebounds/defend the post effectively, Perkins is playing with confidence, etc.
My counter argument is that there are at least 3 other good 3 pt shooters Payton, Keegan, Kris that bring much more in other areas.

4 if Tony continues to knock it down although I'm guessing he ends up low 30s on the season.

This team is not going to lack in scoring.

I don't think a guy that just volume shoots is necessary anymore.

Id say JBO needs to be both knocking down shots and playing effective defense to stay on the floor.

Last night was JBOs best defensive game ever so I will give him props there.

My counter argument is that there are at least 3 other good 3 pt shooters Payton, Keegan, Kris that bring much more in other areas.

4 if Tony continues to knock it down although I'm guessing he ends up low 30s on the season.

This team is not going to lack in scoring.

I don't think a guy that just volume shoots is necessary anymore.

Id say JBO needs to be both knocking down shots and playing effective defense to stay on the floor.

Last night was JBOs best defensive game ever so I will give him props there.
Bohannon is a 40% three point shooter at the college level spanning six years whereas none of those other guys have shot at that level for more than six games against bad teams. I agree that scoring won’t be an issue, but Jordan is a smart player with great Big Ten and NCAA experience who can change the complexion of a game when he’s hitting and knows what it takes to win big games. He’s an awesome passer and continues to bust his ass defensively. He needs to be in the game if he’s making threes, as it’ll open up so much more for the rest of the team by sucking defenders out. If not, then Perkins brings more to the table in my opinion

Injuries/illness aside, all of the starters with the exception of Keegan will be getting around 25 per game. Cmac/ Kris/Perkins/Sandfort and Ulis will be getting 15-20 per game. Anything that deviates much from this is pretty unlikely IMO.

Bohannon is a 40% three point shooter at the college level spanning six years whereas none of those other guys have shot at that level for more than six games against bad teams. I agree that scoring won’t be an issue, but Jordan is a smart player with great Big Ten and NCAA experience who can change the complexion of a game when he’s hitting and knows what it takes to win big games. He’s an awesome passer and continues to bust his ass defensively. He needs to be in the game if he’s making threes, as it’ll open up so much more for the rest of the team by sucking defenders out. If not, then Perkins brings more to the table in my opinion
I just don't think its worth the trade off if he's in any way struggling defensively.

Injuries/illness aside, all of the starters with the exception of Keegan will be getting around 25 per game. Cmac/ Kris/Perkins/Sandfort and Ulis will be getting 15-20 per game. Anything that deviates much from this is pretty unlikely IMO.
Agree, thats why I'm im keeping expectations for the season low.

I just don't think its worth the trade off if he's in any way struggling defensively.
Like I said, that’s why it needs to be fluid depending on the flow of the game. This team will likely go through some scoring droughts given its inexperience off the bench, and maybe that would be a better spot for him to be in the game

Reactions: RocknRollface
A. There’s no way in gods green earth that I would take our elite scorer and make him play post defense where he will get fouls and will sit out minutes owing to Frans archaic 2 foul 1h rule.

keegan, Kris starting at forward, backed up by PMac and sanfort.( if he’s hot, I’d play him almost anywhere )
Ogundele at center backed up by Rebraca
perkins at shooting guard backed by jobo
JoeT and Ulis
Ogundele is not ready to back up anyone at this point in time and if you can't see that for yourself, there's usually a eye doctor just a telephone dial away. Siri can help you.

I would rather those minutes go to Connor, honestly. Bohannon brings almost nothing to the table at this point.
As opposed to what for Connor? He has been less than ideal so far this year and that’s putting it nicely. Least JBo brings the outside shooting and threat of it. Opens up lanes and tougher for a guy to sag off to double. As opposed to Connor who brings nothing on that end of the floor.

PG Touisant 25 / Ulis 15

Payton is averaging 15 minutes a game now. That number is definitely going to increase.

I think the biggest issue is who plays the 3, 4 and 5. And, of course, match ups vary by game. Virginia (Nov 29) is not very big, so I think we are in pretty good shape there. Purdue on Dec 3 and Illinois on Dec 6, on the other hand, are another matter. We might have to play guys just because others are in foul trouble.

PG Touisant 25 / Ulis 15
I definately agree about Connor not getting minutes over Sandfort and Kris M.

Ogundele is not ready to back up anyone at this point in time and if you can't see that for yourself, there's usually a eye doctor just a telephone dial away. Siri can help you.
Who do you suggest play defense vs the B1G BIG Centers….?

The current starters, other JBo (depending on match up and his 3pt shooting on a given night), should all be at 25+ mpg. And yes, I include PMac as a starter.

Kris, Perkins and Ulis should be the backups playing the most minutes, with Sandfort earning more based on play against quality opponents. Connor getting minutes depending on match ups and need for his skill set (though Fran will have him on the floor for leadership as needed).

JO and Mulvey shouldn't see the floor except for injury, foul trouble, or 30 pt leads. They aren't ready for meaningful minutes against decent/good competition.

Reactions: BigAssTurkeyLeg
The current starters, other JBo (depending on match up and his 3pt shooting on a given night), should all be at 25+ mpg. And yes, I include PMac as a starter.

Kris, Perkins and Ulis should be the backups playing the most minutes, with Sandfort earning more based on play against quality opponents. Connor getting minutes depending on match ups and need for his skill set (though Fran will have him on the floor for leadership as needed).

JO and Mulvey shouldn't see the floor except for injury, foul trouble, or 30 pt leads. They aren't ready for meaningful minutes against decent/good competition.
I like Pat but Kris is a better player in all facets of the game other than transition.

Perkins is the teams best overall guard and deserves to see minutes that reflect that reality.

Who do you suggest play defense vs the B1G BIG Centers….?
You don't see the difference in the basketball skill between Ogundele and Mulvey or are you just fixated on the color of their skin?!
As young as Mulvey is, Riley's basketball IQ is more advanced then Josh's and it's not even close.
If you want Fran to play Josh in situations against Michigan, Purdue, and Illinois's big men you are going to be wildly disappointed.
I'm not saying that Riley is going to be the center that Iowa needs in those big games, he's only 18, but he'll perform at a higher level and won't look awkward doing it.
Of course that's only my opinion and I trust Fran and his coaching staff have an idea which player will give Iowa the better minutes needed going forward.
And no I won't dispute Fran's decision whichever one of our young centers he picks to play the more minutes...

Reactions: unclesammy
Well except for the fact that he's averaging 11 pts a game and shooting 43% from three and 100% from the line. But right, should bench him.

Yeah, I don't get all the hate towards JBo.

He's hit a lot of game winning/game deciding shots AND FREE THROWS over his career, too; who else on the roster can say that? Yet, we should not play him???

I can see why I am the only poster on here who is acutally a head coach! ;)

I would rather those minutes go to Connor, honestly. Bohannon brings almost nothing to the table at this point.
He’s averaging 11 ppg on 43% from 3 in 21 minutes/game.
Far from nothing. I have to wonder if those who hate on Joe T and JBO so much even watch the games or know BBall? Hell, it was only a week ago you were all ripping Perkins for not bringing anything, and now he should be the starting 2?

The fact is that Perkins has played defense well all year and his offense has been developing. JBO has shot well the majority of games and seems more comfortable defending at the 2 than the 1 as well.

plus, having 2 PG in the starting five is a big reason we only average 7 TO per game.

Reactions: Slim45

He's hit a lot of game winning/game deciding shots AND FREE THROWS over his career, too; who else on the roster can say that? Yet, we should not play him???

I understand most on here what Fran, I mean you, to play around an 8 player rotation. I get it, most great teams do that, but this team seems to have an abundance of players that can play defense, rebound, and score. It will be interesting going into the meat of our schedule what Fran will do, but having a roster of players that seems to play together with a mix of veterans and newbie's with very little drop off in roster talent.
Rebraca, Keegan, Patrick, Toussaint, and Bohannan seems at this time Fran's starting lineup. Kris, Connor, Payton, Tony, and Aaron, that's 10 and Mulvey or Ogundele make 12. Who do you leave out? Anyone of them can give you quality minutes. I don't envy Fran's job at all, with so many back seat coaches on this board ready to question every decision he, I mean you, make.

Reactions: Franisdaman

Give yourself an extension, Coach!

Reactions: Franisdaman
I understand most on here what Fran, I mean you, to play around an 8 player rotation. I get it, most great teams do that, but this team seems to have an abundance of players that can play defense, rebound, and score. It will be interesting going into the meat of our schedule what Fran will do, but having a roster of players that seems to play together with a mix of veterans and newbie's with very little drop off in roster talent.
Rebraca, Keegan, Patrick, Toussaint, and Bohannan seems at this time Fran's starting lineup. Kris, Connor, Payton, Tony, and Aaron, that's 10 and Mulvey or Ogundele make 12. Who do you leave out? Anyone of them can give you quality minutes. I don't envy Fran's job at all, with so many back seat coaches on this board ready to question every decision he, I mean you, make.

We fans don't see what's going on in practice. I would imagine things are a lot more competitive than what we are seeing in these games.

I did find it interesting that with Patrick out last night, Fran started

JoeT
JBo
Connor
Keegan
Filip

I kinda wish we would have seen Kris in the starting line up, just to give the twins their first start together but also so see how Kris would respond.

I can't wait to see how we do vs Virginia in 6 days. They are not that big. And we finally play a road game vs a hostile crowd.

And I think once B1G play starts up, Fran will likely have no bigger than a 10 person rotation; I think Riley & Josh will only see time due to foul trouble or mop up.

Truth be told we have no idea on minute distribution from these first set of games. They have all been in hand against shoddy competition. I guess we will see in our first tightly contested game what Fran dictates to. On one hand I see that Jbo brings a lot of experience and free throw shooting down the stretch. On the otherhand there is a definsive limitation there that could possibly be better served by having Perkins and Kris for defensive purposes down the stretch vs Conner and Jbo. My one knock against Fran is he can be stubborn to a fault on upper classman leadership down the stretch.

Anything but the Conner / Jbo combo imo, and I will die on this hill that Conner's minutes should be 10 and under and no crunch time. What hurt last years team was not given the young guys enough minutes to develop come tourney time when we needed their athleticsm. I truly believe this is a tourney team at this point with a legit superstar in Keegan.

I would like to see JT get more time with a lineup of Perkins, Sandfort, and the Murrays. That is a filthy athletic lineup with 3 really good 3 pt shooters and 3 guys that can penetrate / create their own shot. Defensively could be a real nightmare for teams. When any team goes small ball lineup on us I would like to see us counter with this unit.

Lastly before "Fran" responds this is all just fan speculation. Overall Fran has done an incredible job building this program and I respect the difficult situation he has to navigate in keeping this many players happy.

Reactions: RocknRollface
The problem JBo, is that people never look at the whole picture when discussing him. He is generally feast or famine when shooting. Yes he statistically averages out to look good offensively but it's the defense where the "whole" becomes a problem.
You replace him on a net basis. Yes, the person replacing him may shoot lower from 3pt % maybe 5-7% (i'm not even sure that would be the case) but when you add in his defensive deficiencies we are generally worse off when he plays.
I'm all for Hot Jbo getting minutes but when cold jbo shows up, his minutes need to be cut drastically.

Man, you really don’t understand b-ball if you think JBO has been bad this year.
Man you really don't understand English if thats what you thought my words meant.

We know JBO can't defend big ten guards. It doesn't matter what is going on against these cupcakes.

There are simply more talented options now than in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT